Post Thanks / Like

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

2. Likes Russell, Bronxboy, keepcoming liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    thanks for the link...

maybe one reason why they excel at the sport is because they walk a mile home after the game, while the kids in America get picked up by mommy in the suburban...

4. Likes Matilda, Russell liked this post
    Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Good article. I get fed up with all my socks going missing as they get rolled into a ball, covered in taypee and used as a baseball ball. All of the sticks get taken out of my brooms and used as a bat.

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    Good article. I get fed up with all my socks going missing as they get rolled into a ball, covered in taypee and used as a baseball ball. All of the sticks get taken out of my brooms and used as a bat.

Matilda
    and that is another reason why they excel. it is the love of the game that Brazilian kids have for soccer, wherein they will play with anything they can get. there is an article which attempts to explain why Americans cannot play football, which they call soccer. kids in poor countries play with whatever they can get their hands on, so the poor kids get to show their talents. when only the more well heeled kids can play a sport, too much of the talent never gets seen.

7. Likes Matilda liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Another reason is that Baseball is just not that important in the U.S. anymore as it has fallen to number 3 behind basketball (2) and the undisputed king of all sports in the U.S. - American Football (not that bloody soccer). Baseball is just too slow and boring for a lot of Americans and thus is not as popular. However, in the DR it is by far and away the number 1 sport and the dream of every male, so there is no competition for the male DR athlete to go into any other sport. No dilution of talent, all superstars go to baseball instead of basketball and football like in the U.S. Great opportunity for DR baseball players and I'm very happy for them.

I love Hillary!
    Post Thanks / Like

Good article. They give credit to where credit is due. Genetics! At that level you can train all you want but without the blessings of mother nature you are spinning your wheels. All professional athletes are freaks of nature. The mental component is good but it won't come close to good genes

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southern View Post
    Good article. They give credit to where credit is due. Genetics! At that level you can train all you want but without the blessings of mother nature you are spinning your wheels. All professional athletes are freaks of nature. The mental component is good but it won't come close to good genes
    I know too many athletes, musicians, etc who would beg to differ. They have always told me it's based on practice, practice, practice and when their done, more practice and a love for what they do. When you see baseball or any other path as your only vehicle out of poverty, you will take it. You can be naturally skilled to anything but without practicing your craft, fuggetaboutit.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbmitch9 View Post
    I know too many athletes, musicians, etc who would beg to differ. They have always told me it's based on practice, practice, practice and when their done, more practice and a love for what they do. When you see baseball or any other path as your only vehicle out of poverty, you will take it. You can be naturally skilled to anything but without practicing your craft, fuggetaboutit.
    i agree with you to a point, cbmitch, but then genetics take over. no amount of training will make an average sprinter into Usain Bolt, nor an average swimmer into Phelps.

many years ago, West Indian cricketers were among the best in the world as far as batting the ball was concerned. a medical professional observed that they possessed that ability because of the way their wrists were made up.

I love Hillary!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cbmitch9 View Post
    Major league baseball is a far cry from playing the flute and attempting to use pro basball as a means out of poverty is about as likley as hitting the lottery twice in one day. MLB has about 1200 players. They either have the numbers ( hits, batting average etc) or they don't. It's not open for interpretation like music. Hitting a MLB fast ball is one of the most difficult things to do in pro sports and if you don't have the right mother and father you are just another spectator like the rest of us.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by southern View Post
    .....Right on....played many sports, without my fathers genes wouldnt have made the teams...you can train 6 days a week ,and the average person can better their performance, but never compete at the level of a natural athlete . the true test is in running track. In my high school of about 3k students, there were 3 sprinters who could compete....I was one of three.....the 3 sprinters were the same ones , from grade school on to high school.... if you are one of the 3 with the fastest foot speed you will be a starter in several sports........Doc......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast