Moving from the U.S. to D.R. with your pet bird

chewy1818

Oct 26, 2017
My husband and I are traveling with our pet bird and are getting different answers as to how to obtain an "Import Permit". Has anyone tried this or know if this is possible? This bird is my "Emotional Support Animal" I which I have the letter from my physician. Please HELP !!!!!!

chewy1818

Oct 26, 2017
Sorry.. .I am new at this... Let me explain better.... My husband and I are moving from the U.S. to the D.R. (Punta Cana) and want to know the requirements of taking out pet bird (who is also my emotional support animal) into the D.R. Has anyone every brought in their pet bird when they have moved to the DR? Thank you.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You will find that no one coming to live here has imported a bird. I wanted to import a tortoise a few years ago but gave up. The paperwork, requirements such as quarantine and veterinary services and the cumulative expense was far beyond what made practical and financial sense.

Birds are particularly problematic in the eyes of the authorities as they can potentially escape their cage and fly off into the ecosystem. Dogs and cats can move in and out of the DR pretty easily but other live animals are for the most part discouraged unless for the purposes of a zoo type operation.

Talk to your bird and see if he/she will train a dog/cat to provide the same service. A new home for your bird in the DR is not going to work out, sorry..

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Anybody in La Mulata remember "Crazy Eddie" who lived in a big house in I believe La Mulata 3 with a great view? He had 4 large birds, the kind that live over 100 years. This was 12-15 years ago.

The birds had a AC room overlooking La Mulata. My lawyer, who also was his lawyer told me he had a will that left most of his money to the birds when he died. He ended up leaving and the last I heard from him he was in Thailand.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Sorry.. .I am new at this... Let me explain better.... My husband and I are moving from the U.S. to the D.R. (Punta Cana) and want to know the requirements of taking out pet bird (who is also my emotional support animal) into the D.R. Has anyone every brought in their pet bird when they have moved to the DR? Thank you.

I would suggest you call the nearest Dominican Consulate and pose the same question to them and see what they say. The next hurdle is getting the bird on a plane to the DR. Good luck and good travels.