Moving to the D.R. with your Pet Bird

chewy1818

Oct 26, 2017
Hi, my husband and I are moving to Punta Cana soon and I have an "Emotional Support Animal" which is my little bird (8 inches). Has anyone tried to move with their pet bird? PLEASE HELP !!!!! :ermm:

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Hi, my husband and I are moving to Punta Cana soon and I have an "Emotional Support Animal" which is my little bird (8 inches). Has anyone tried to move with their pet bird? PLEASE HELP !!!!! :ermm:

I woud be more worried if I could get back out with the bird. This island has a ban onleaving with birds so check carefully

chewy1818

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, the category of the kinds of Emotional Support Animals is a very broad. It does not have to be a dog or a cat. Maybe you are confusing "Service Animals" which are usually dogs. Thanks.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
What happened to cdn-gringos emotional support turtle post?

In the other thread on this topic I posted how I gave up. Way too frustrating and expensive. To import a living animal, other than dogs/cats, one needs to apply and pay for an importation permit. The animal needs vet certificates from the country of origin, cannot be on an endangered species list, will undergo mandatory vet checks here, a period of quarantine and an inspection of where the animal is to be housed. Foreign species are not permitted in captivity where there is a significant risk that they can escape into the environment. The importation of birds, fish, amphibians, reptiles and exotic insects are all but banned unless for research purposes or for display in a zoo.

Once here, a renewable license to keep these animals comes into play and there are steep fines should these animals somehow go missing. In the event of death, a vet from the environment ministry needs to certify such for the cancellation of the license or it is assumed that the animal is now loose on the island.

Too much hassle for me to justify an automatic weed eating tortoise.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/49203...ways-flight-emotional-support-pig-disruptive/

Woman kicked off flight after emotional support PIG became rowdy

The woman was given her marching orders after her havoc-wreaking hog began walking up and down the aisles. Even attempts to strap it to an arm rest failed to settle the farmyard animal on the flight from Connecticut.
By Danny Collins
15th November 2017, 2:12 pm
Updated: 15th November 2017, 3:38 pm

A PLANE passenger was booted off a flight because her rowdy emotional support PIG caused mayhem on board.

The woman was given her marching orders after the havoc-wreaking hog began walking up and down the aisles.

4005608070.jpg

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Hey chewy, sounds like the DR might not be for you. You asked, I posted a factual response of what is involved with importing a live animal other than a cat/dog and you start throwing dislikes all over the place. Nice way to endear yourself to your future neighbors. Good luck to you, no one is an island unto themselves. Is this going to be your one and only question about moving here?

chewy1818

Oct 26, 2017
Hi Cdn_Gringo.......I really dont think my future neighboors will dislike me for not liking your post with your response of......"Birds are particularly problematic in the eyes of the authorities as they can potentially escape their cage and fly off into the ecosystem.
You also posted in your other thread to me...."Talk to your bird and see if he/she will train a dog/cat to provide the same service"...
More of a sarcastic reaponse... Not a very knowledgeable one. But thank you... and remember that many residents DO have pet birds in their possession in the D.R. and if ALL of them would "escape" then I would definitely think it would be a big problem for the ecosystem, like you said.
Matilda has gotten this information for me from this forum....... "excepción de perros y gatos, todos los animales vivos, las aves y trofeos, necesitan permiso previo de la Dirección General de Ganadería, para ingresar a la República Dominicana, cabe señalar que todos los animales vivos deben cumplir con un protocolo que esta diseñados por países y especies, donde se indican las pruebas de laboratorios que deben realizarse y la cual deben venir negativas, estos son ingresados en la Estación de Cuarentena Animal, con el propósito de vigilar y repetir algunas pruebas analísticas de control de enfermedades presente o no presentes en el país" No more questions......have a wonderful evening.