If the hurricanes don't get you, the earthquakes might.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
A day shortened by 1 millisecond can cause more earthquakes. Interesting.. I would be more inclined to agree if there was a step function (as in an immediate slowing at one moment in time) to that change, but they do have some data to back up the claims.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
A day shortened by 1 millisecond can cause more earthquakes. Interesting.. I would be more inclined to agree if there was a step function (as in an immediate slowing at one moment in time) to that change, but they do have some data to back up the claims.

I would agree with the article if they could back up their data.

"The researchers searched to find correlations between these periods of intense seismic activity and other factors and discovered that when Earth’s rotation decreased slightly it was followed by periods of increased numbers of intense earthquakes. “The rotation of the Earth does change slightly – by a millisecond a day sometimes – and that can be measured very accurately by atomic clocks,” said Bilham."

"Bilham and Bendick found that there had been periods of around five years when Earth’s rotation slowed by such an amount several times over the past century and a half. Crucially, these periods were followed by periods when the numbers of intense earthquakes increased."

That all sounds good, but the atomic clock was invented in 1949. So in the 100 years prior to 1949, who was accurately recording the length of the day, in milliseconds, and how? The same question applies to ocean temps. The earth may be warming, but who exactly was measuring the temperature of the ocean water in the 1800's in the middle of the Atlantic and Pacific the entire year, down to an accurate tenth of a degree?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If the predictions are correct, they will be remembered. More likely, it will all be forgotten.

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I think the article from the Guardian could have added the continual rain could soon get you. The east of the DR has been drenched for about two weeks now and water levels in various places are at extreme highs ..the BBC reports on a regular basis about villages on the ocean front that have had to be moved to higher ground and I wonder if the same scenario will be played out in the DR .How can anyone doubt that the earth is having a significant change of climate with nasty consequences .

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
Thanks for the warning, I will now wear a helmet when I go to bed....

I wear a whistle; common, ordinary referee/sports whistle. If they don't know you are trapped in the rubble doubtful anyone is coming for you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I wear a whistle; common, ordinary referee/sports whistle. If they don't know you are trapped in the rubble doubtful anyone is coming for you.

You aren't paranoid if they really are after you.

Wearing a whistle is certainly something I never considered to wear 24/7 as an earthquake preparedness device.
I suppose you would actually have it ready to blow at all times in case you can't reach it while pinned under the rubble.

banzai

Aug 16, 2013
You aren't paranoid if they really are after you.

Wearing a whistle is certainly something I never considered to wear 24/7 as an earthquake preparedness device.
I suppose you would actually have it ready to blow at all times in case you can't reach it while pinned under the rubble.

Each to their own! I don't live in the DR full time but when I am there, and in a hi-rise, I have it around the neck. Whether "they" could hear it or you could "reach" it is another matter; paranoid ? probably, but I am looking after myself.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Good idea. Dual purpose as an anti rape tool.
Is there such a thing as a safe place in a concrete house? Everybody seems to end up in the bathroom in tornados.
I know outside is the best place to be so its jump out the window into the pool?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Each to their own! I don't live in the DR full time but when I am there, and in a hi-rise, I have it around the neck. Whether "they" could hear it or you could "reach" it is another matter; paranoid ? probably, but I am looking after myself.

Everybody has their own ways to cope with life and its eventualities. Hopefully you will never need that whistle.