Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can you help??

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I’m not surprised at all.  Last week someone posted a video of Mariano Rivera demonstrating how he made a glove out of cardboard when he was a kid.  When Mr AE saw it, he said he made his out of carpet or canvas scraps (he was a pitcher) as a boy.  Necessity is the mother of invention.  

I wish i had $1,000 laying around to ship it all.  Whatever we can’t ship will be offered to groups collecting for Haiti and Puerto Rico.  I hope it doesn’t come to that.  

When I was a tourist in Cuba, I saw kids playing baseball (for lack of a better term) with their bare hands.

They'd use their hand and arm to hit the ball (a rolled up ball of cord) and catch it with their bare hands too.

Bases were whatever they could find.

If you want to play, you'll play.

AE, I'll cover two, how do you want me to pay you? (send me a pm)

2. Likes AlterEgo, irishpaddy liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JDJones View Post
    When I was a tourist in Cuba, I saw kids playing baseball (for lack of a better term) with their bare hands.

They'd use their hand and arm to hit the ball (a rolled up ball of cord) and catch it with their bare hands too.

Bases were whatever they could find.

If you want to play, you'll play.

AE, I'll cover two, how do you want me to pay you? (send me a pm)

Thank you so much JD, pm has been sent.  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Let me know the contact info when you get it.  

We still need sponsors for 6 more boxes, $65 a box.  I know Christmas is a bad time to ask, but if you can help it would be greatly appreciated.  I’d hate to see so much left behind when there is such a need there.  

Maybe some of you want to sponsor a box with a partner, $32.50 each?  
    Alright, I'll get in contact with some coaches soon, I was a little busy this weekend getting married lol so I'll send a pm once I get some info. Also, since I'm sure you've done this awhile I'm sure you're wise to know to be wary when donating all equipment at once. Some of these coaches unfortunately sell the equipment for profit. Of course in my case I would see it that kids are directly given this equipment. I just don't want to see kids get robbed of some opportunity because of some greedy coach or rep.

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I think what you are doing is great and I applaud your efforts. I was a founding Director of Beyond the Beach and we did projects like this.

http://www.beyondthebeach.ca/index.html

"If anyone Wud! Wud Wud"
    www.DR1.com

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suarezj519 View Post
    Alright, I'll get in contact with some coaches soon, I was a little busy this weekend getting married lol so I'll send a pm once I get some info. Also, since I'm sure you've done this awhile I'm sure you're wise to know to be wary when donating all equipment at once. Some of these coaches unfortunately sell the equipment for profit. Of course in my case I would see it that kids are directly given this equipment. I just don't want to see kids get robbed of some opportunity because of some greedy coach or rep.

For sure no coach will be given anything except an equipment bag, we have several of them.  We plan to make appointments and only the boys who are present will be given a bat, helmet, cleats, gloves, etc. Each team will also get catcher’s gear.  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

7. Likes JDJones liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an update.

10 boxes packed
       8C7C4E3D-5627-4097-969E-0A5408206E7F.jpg

1 drum packed
    6118B148-7D64-46EF-8548-A4ED2608DD04.jpg

DR1ers have paid for 4 boxes, and another has pledged $280 for the drum and two boxes.  Two boxes will be paid for by our town.  We’re paying for three.  

We still have at least 3, probably 4 boxes to pack.  Hard to see in the photo, but catchers gear, bats and a couple of overflowing coaches bags still unpacked. 
    E3F19CF3-41A8-4896-BBE8-7B36146A13FA.jpg

If you can sponsor a box, please let me know.

Many thanks

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

9. Likes irishpaddy, JDJones liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Just an update.

10 boxes packed
       8C7C4E3D-5627-4097-969E-0A5408206E7F.jpg

1 drum packed
    6118B148-7D64-46EF-8548-A4ED2608DD04.jpg

DR1ers have paid for 4 boxes, and another has pledged $280 for the drum and two boxes.  Two boxes will be paid for by our town.  We’re paying for three.  

We still have at least 3, probably 4 boxes to pack.  Hard to see in the photo, but catchers gear, bats and a couple of overflowing coaches bags still unpacked. 
    E3F19CF3-41A8-4896-BBE8-7B36146A13FA.jpg

If you can sponsor a box, please let me know.

Many thanks
    Hey, I have a left hander's glove if you find a left hander.....

11. Likes AlterEgo liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I have a left hander's glove if you find a left hander.....

Just this afternoon I said I was afraid a left handed kid might be disappointed if we don’t have a glove for him.  What a coincidence.

The first place we will distribute is just outside of Nigua, we’ll stop by your office to get the glove, just in case.  

Thanks!

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Just this afternoon I said I was afraid a left handed kid might be disappointed if we don’t have a glove for him.  What a coincidence.

The first place we will distribute is just outside of Nigua, we’ll stop by your office to get the glove, just in case.  

Thanks!
    Oh oh... does this mean you're going to rescue your bag I've been holding hostage?

The ransom you'll have to pay will be a picture of the happy recipient.

It even comes with a softball!!

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh oh... does this mean you're going to rescue your bag I've been holding hostage?

The ransom you'll have to pay will be a picture of the happy recipient.

It even comes with a softball!!

Haha, I forgot about that bag!  

There will definitely be photos, as our town, who sponsored the collection and paid for shipping two boxes, wants pics for local press. My brother-in-law has a column in Listin Diario, so they may show up at one of the baseball fields too.  

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12