a simple comma

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003

I got 7/8. Commas are tricky and the rules differ from one language to another. As well, you need to understand the phrase in order to answer the question. Like all aspects of grammar understanding the rules and practice will help one to improve. 

Message board writing certainly allows one to break the rules and then it becomes a writing habit. 

Definitivamente es un punto débil para mí. Necesito mejorar.

-MP.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Couldn't finish the test because of the stupid ads blocking the content that I can’t close (on my phone), but I was surprised to see that ‘Hola, Miguel’ has a comma.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I got 6/8. My pet peeve is the redundant placement of a comma after the subject.

El presidente, visitó varios proyectos en el sur del país.

There should only be a comma after "El presidente" if it's followed by another detail about him, like "acompañado de oficiales y representantes comunitarios."

El presidente, acompañado de oficiales y representantes comunitarios, visitó varios proyectos en el sur del país.

Otherwise:
El presidente visitó varios proyectos en el sur del país.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I got 6/8. My pet peeve is the redundant placement of a comma after the subject.

El presidente, visitó varios proyectos en el sur del país.

There should only be a comma after "El presidente" if it's followed by another detail about him, like "acompañado de oficiales y representantes comunitarios."

El presidente, acompañado de oficiales y representantes comunitarios, visitó varios proyectos en el sur del país.

Otherwise:
El presidente visitó varios proyectos en el sur del país.

i did not think it is necessary to put a comma after a subject if there were no details. who said so?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I see I got the ball rolling....

Hola Miguel is the one I got wrong. I think they need to provide better phrases that reflect the grammar options. I say this because if I were to write that in an intro to a letter it would be different.

Hola Miguel,

Te escribo para decirte que vengo mañana a las 6 pm. Te voy a esperar en la planta baja del hotel.

Nos vemos.

-MP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I see I got the ball rolling....

Hola Miguel is the one I got wrong. I think they need to provide better phrases that reflect the grammar options. I say this because if I were to write that in an intro to a letter it would be different.

Hola Miguel,

Te escribo para decirte que vengo mañana a las 6 pm. Te voy a esperar en la planta baja del hotel.

Nos vemos.

-MP.

what you just wrote is absolutely correct, by english standards.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i also got 6 out of 8 because i sort of follow the rules from polish and english and they are pretty similar. too many commas in a sentence does not sit with me well. i've noticed that dominican newspapers often go by the rule that the longer sentence the better and often the articles really do not make much sense because after few lines one loses the track of the references.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
just to be pedantic, i think you need one after the word 'punctuation'. then again, i could be wrong, as i am not an expert, either.

That is what I mean. Message board writing is meant to be quick and one can get away with being informal. If I use a word document the story changes. It’s like when you post you don’t capitalize the letter I. I often see ‘i’ in many of your posts.

-MP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That is what I mean. Message board writing is meant to be quick and one can get away with being informal. If I use a word document the story changes. It’s like when you post you don’t capitalize the letter I. I often see ‘i’ in many of your posts.

-MP.

when i post, i don't capitalize anything. it is called economy of effort. switching back and forth to caps lock is an extra step i did not sign up for.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
i also got 6 out of 8 because i sort of follow the rules from polish and english and they are pretty similar. too many commas in a sentence does not sit with me well. i've noticed that dominican newspapers often go by the rule that the longer sentence the better and often the articles really do not make much sense because after few lines one loses the track of the references.

I think that concept aligns with the Dominican speech pattern. When you listen to the average Dominican speak, it’s a long run on sentence. Ratatatatata...hasta que termine. The average Dominican will write the way s/he speaks.

That is why I recommend studying the language and learn to speak at the same time but not only in the DR. Listen to Spanish speakers from all over the Spanish-speaking world. There is a huge difference!

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
when i post, i don't capitalize anything. it is called economy of effort. switching back and forth to caps lock is an extra step i did not sign up for.

I hear you and I think it is part of the brief and quick form of posting on a message board. Rules of grammar and punctuation are not followed to a certain degree.

It is easy to tell if it’s lack of knowledge or quick form.

-MP.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I hear you and I think it is part of the brief and quick form of posting on a message board. Rules of grammar and punctuation are not followed to a certain degree.

It is easy to tell if it’s lack of knowledge or quick form.

-MP.

absolutely correct observation. it just serves to make posting easier. i mean, we are not submitting a dissertation for a doctorate when we comment on a particular recipe, or beachfront.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
you are not right in this case Gorgon . A coma is not normally needed before or after a conjunctive. Here is a sentence where one can be used .. I will not go to the beach but ,on the other hand , I may take my friend there . Comas are not too difficult , colons are not too difficult because we see good use of them in the psalms but semi colons have their own set of rules .

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
you are not right in this case Gorgon . A coma is not normally needed before or after a conjunctive. Here is a sentence where one can be used .. I will not go to the beach but ,on the other hand , I may take my friend there . Comas are not too difficult , colons are not too difficult because we see good use of them in the psalms but semi colons have their own set of rules .

actually, if i am not in error, the sentence should read..

i will not go to the beach, but, on the other hand..