Private Sender of Xmas Gifts thru CPS ?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My family wants to send some small packages for Christmas.
I have used CPS twice for direct shipments from Amazon, all went OK.

Has anyone had some one sent from a friend or family and do they need to include an invoice to prove the less than $200 threshold?

Jan 17, 2009
You need an invoice inside the package and preferably for less than $200, or you'll have to pay import duties.  If there's no invoice included and you can't provide CPS with one, then customs will estimate the cost and you probably end up paying taxes anyway.

In fact, I just asked CPS about a somewhat similar situation, getting a package for a set of BOSE headphones that BOSE is replacing under warranty.  I mailed them out from the US to BOSE.   Can't be done.  I needed to fill out an export form and send them out of the DR, to get them back tax free.  (They're over $200)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
You need an invoice inside the package and preferably for less than $200, or you'll have to pay import duties.  If there's no invoice included and you can't provide CPS with one, then customs will estimate the cost and you probably end up paying taxes anyway.

In fact, I just asked CPS about a somewhat similar situation, getting a package for a set of BOSE headphones that BOSE is replacing under warranty.  I mailed them out from the US to BOSE.   Can't be done.  I needed to fill out an export form and send them out of the DR, to get them back tax free.  (They're over $200)

I know they told me electronics are more difficult, when I went into the office a few months ago.
I think my family is just sending some dolls, probably $60-$100.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I have stuff shipped from Amazon down here all the time(I use BM Cargo). They've always put an invoice in the box. If for some reason there isn't one, just email CPS a copy and you should be ok.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I buy stuff from Amazon almost every day and ship with CPS. They always send an email saying there is no invoice, you just email the invoice over to CPS (they give the address in their email to you) and everything is fine. If you go into My Orders in Amazon and bring up the order, there is an option to Print Invoice, just print as a PDF and that's what you send to CPS.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
I buy from Amazon almost every day and there is never an invoice in the package (at least according to CPS). They email me, I just print off the invoice as a PDF from Amazon, email it back to them and it's fine. So it doesn't matter if there isn't an invoice in the package, just as long as you have one that can be emailed.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We use CPS all the time and just email them a copy of the invoice. Never had a problem getting stuff sent here.

Bob K

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
BMCargo has "Pre-Alert".

Once I get the tracking number, I always upload a copy of the invoice (By tracking number) to BMCargo. Thus no delay with them waiting for an invoice.

Amazon is very relaxed with including invoices (Save those trees).

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Amazon assumes that no invoice is needed as the shipment as far as they are concerned originates and terminates in the USA.

As above, you can get the invoice from the amazon website and either upload it on the courier website or email it to them when they ask for it.

Chances are you will need some sort of a declaration for the packages coming to the DR that indicates whether the items are new/used and their value. Contact CPS and ask them what will be required in this scenario. The people at CPS are usually quite helpful.