Goodbye Orange and Tricom, welcome Altice

suarezj519

May 14, 2014
So it seems the rebranding of the two companies took place last night as I couldn't find any trace of orange or tricom on social media and that my tricom and orange app have been replaced. What will this mean for the future? I know this has been in the planning since the buyout, but will this actually change anything?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Hope springs eternal - The network is in serious need of upgrading on the North Coast and I expect elsewhere as well. No access to 4G LTE in large sections and spotty signal coverage. For a country so invested and dependent on cell phones, the quality and capabilities of the service is atrocious.

Maybe the Altice service offerings will get better now. I'd give Viva a try if I didn't have to go to Puerto Plata to sign up. I can't seem to find a Viva kiosk anywhere else close by.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Viva had a promotion in front of the Metro Tours bus station in Sosua at one time. Not sure if it is still there.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't recall seeing seeing them there but the next time I pass by I'll do a few circles in the parking lot and take a closer look. Thx.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
I picked it up w/ T-Mobile roaming y'day
Me to but with a old unlocked vrizon phone T mobile phones use 850 band. The unlocked one i have from vrizon i get the 900 band with a T mobile chip. Have herd good deals from vivo but do not know what band thy use.

Jan 9, 2004
So it seems the rebranding of the two companies took place last night as I couldn't find any trace of orange or tricom on social media and that my tricom and orange app have been replaced. What will this mean for the future? I know this has been in the planning since the buyout, but will this actually change anything?

I hope Altice did not bite off more than they can chew.

Altice is having a severe cash crunch and is heavily in debt. Some in finance do not believe they can make it without a sale of some of their assets.

The company is 5 times leveraged...cash to debt.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Viva had a promotion in front of the Metro Tours bus station in Sosua at one time. Not sure if it is still there.

If your referring to the “trailer store” in the parking lot, yes, it’s still there. I was in there yesterday (Monday) and the women behind the counter was very helpful with questions I had about my Viva account. (Icy cold a/c too!)

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Altice is having a severe cash crunch and is heavily in debt. Some in finance do not believe they can make it without a sale of some of their assets.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I think all of them world wide carry a lot od debt. The value is in the frequencies, so eventually they can sell - maybe at a profit, if they don't lose their customer base.
But since Orange hasn't rolled out 4G in most parts of the DR they are losing customers.
And if Viva is installing real technology that has 4G (soon 5G) then bravo.
If anyone has a complete frequency breakdown for Viva with Bands please post it.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I think all of them world wide carry a lot of debt. The value is in the frequencies, so eventually they can sell - maybe at a profit, if they don't lose their customer base.
But since Orange hasn't rolled out 4G in most parts of the DR they are losing customers.
If anyone has a complete frequency breakdown for Viva with Bands please post it.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I think all of them world wide carry a lot of debt. The value is in the frequencies, so eventually they can sell - maybe at a profit, if they don't lose their customer base.

VIVA use band 1900 for 2G/3G and Band 1700/2100 for LTE

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

VIVA use Band 1900 for 2G/3G and Band 1700/2100 for LTE. I use VIVA and I can tell Coverage is getting better every day with VIVA.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I think all of them world wide carry a lot od debt. The value is in the frequencies, so eventually they can sell - maybe at a profit, if they don't lose their customer base.

My browser wasnt working properly, I can see that all my post went thru.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
VIVA use band 1900 for 2G/3G and Band 1700/2100 for LTE

Thanks but I think the LTE may only be 2100 on Band 4 - I just got a response from VIVA. But maybe that is wrong please let us know, Riva you may have more complete information.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Thanks but I think the LTE may only be 2100 on Band 4 - I just got a response from VIVA. But maybe that is wrong please let us know, Riva you may have more complete information.

Use Both 1700/2100 and its MIMO Network from Ericsson. I Was using Claro for 1 year and inside my house I could never get a phone call or text on whatsaap even having 2 signal bars in my phone, Switched to VIVA and since they launched their new network now in my livingroom and bathroom I can receive and make calls, text on whatsapp in my livingroon and bathroom, my bedroom is a faraday box.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Use Both 1700/2100 and its MIMO Network from Ericsson. I Was using Claro for 1 year and inside my house I could never get a phone call or text on whatsaap even having 2 signal bars in my phone, Switched to VIVA and since they launched their new network now in my livingroom and bathroom I can receive and make calls, text on whatsapp in my livingroon and bathroom, my bedroom is a faraday box.

Where do you live Riva ?

Feb 7, 2007
Claro still has unbeatable Smart plans with free roaming across all the Americas, with no inbound roaming charges and for outbound, consuming your in-plan home minutes, messages and data wherever you find yourself, Miami, Bogotá, Lima, Sao Paulo, Vancouver or San Pedro Sula, in the same way as if you just crossed from Nagua to Azua. With Claro post paid Smart plans, the whole Americas is one big on-net area.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Since Claro changed their CEO in the DR it has been head and shoulders above the others. Not only free roaming, but 1,000 free SMS per month. And they rollover data and calls to next month. They told me no to that, but I keep getting rollovers.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Claro still has unbeatable Smart plans with free roaming across all the Americas, with no inbound roaming charges and for outbound, consuming your in-plan home minutes, messages and data wherever you find yourself, Miami, Bogotá, Lima, Sao Paulo, Vancouver or San Pedro Sula, in the same way as if you just crossed from Nagua to Azua. With Claro post paid Smart plans, the whole Americas is one big on-net area.

Yes, is one of the good things they have, I had traveled a lot and I can survive with WiFi, I prefer to have better quality of Voice and Signal 50 weeks a year in areas served by VIVA than have roaming for free 2 weeks a year.