Rebuilding Haiti

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I could had sworn there was a thread about the reconstruction process in Haiti. I searched and couldn't find one, hence this thread.

Here are some photos of the new government buildings recently finished in Port-au-Prince. I have to say that they are quite handsome buildings. Lets hope they can survive an earthquake.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Ministry of the Interior

HT1.jpg

HT2.jpg

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Bank of the Republic of Haiti (Central Bank)

HT8.jpg

HT9.jpg

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Convention Center of the Bank of the Republic of Haiti

HT10.jpg

HT11.jpg

HT12.jpg

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Nice pics.

I like the courthouse design. A little Greek Revival / French thing going on though.

But I'll give em a pass for that.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Why do people in Haiti and the DR insist on this type of construction with overhangs, cantilevers and top heavy buildings on top of a few columns. Many people are going to die someday.
https://imgur.com/a/WwMbI

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Allow me to preface my question with the following declaration:
I am not in the construction business, so I do not have a clue as to the building codes that may need to be complied with in relation to newer building projects there. Would it not make sense for buildings in Haiti to be required to meet some sort of international building standards being that it's all international money being used to rebuild that country?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Allow me to preface my question with the following declaration:
I am not in the construction business, so I do not have a clue as to the building codes that may need to be complied with in relation to newer building projects there. Would it not make sense for buildings in Haiti to be required to meet some sort of international building standards being that it's all international money being used to rebuild that country?

Makes a lot of sense to me. However, they cannot even get cooperation from the Haitian government on the smallest things like security. After the earthquake, tractor trailers with cement and rebar were robbed. The DR asked Haiti for additional police or security so the supplies reached their destination safely, but Haiti told them "no."