New Vehicle Inspections in 2018

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...os-no-pasarian-una-revision-tecnica-EC8631060

OK so we all know the above is more political talk than action, but you could set up a stop between Sousa and POP (or more than one) and take half the cars off the road. But it won't happen.

My wish is just they would check brakes and all lights as well as any possible dragging or hanging parts (too many camionetas with broken springs and shocks).
Also any vehicle whose rings and valve guides are so badly worn they cause it to smoke excessively - most unhealthy.

But I understand many people can barely put gas in their vehicles (I'm approaching that class) and therefore don't maintain or properly repair their vehicles - but the worst offenders (usually overloaded with plantains) are extremely unsafe to be on the road.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Seventy per cent of the vehicles on the road wouldn't pass the test, says the article. Wouldn't life be good for those of us with roadworthy cars if all those defective cars (especially those with defective/too bright lights) were taken off the road!

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Seventy per cent of the vehicles on the road wouldn't pass the test, says the article. Wouldn't life be good for those of us with roadworthy cars if all those defective cars (especially those with defective/too bright lights) were taken off the road!

The sword is sharp on both ends on this topic ...taking out 70% of cars off road , would add 3-4 times motorcycles and mopeds ...that would suck too :(

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Is anybody actually thinking that this inspection process will be any better than the current Re-Vista program. I actually like the current program. 45 pesos at the bank and most years they don't have enough stickers to go around. If by chance stickers are available you don't even have to take you car to get inspected.
How could you possibly improve this program.

Jan 7, 2016
Is anybody actually thinking that this inspection process will be any better than the current Re-Vista program. I actually like the current program. 45 pesos at the bank and most years they don't have enough stickers to go around. If by chance stickers are available you don't even have to take you car to get inspected.
How could you possibly improve this program.

45 pesos??? Must be for a real clunker...paid 3000 pesos last year for a 2016 car Revista! Some cars have so many Revistas that they can hardly see the road ahead through the plethora of stickers!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
At least initially, I would prefer to see a program where roadside spot checks are done. Vehicles with obvious defects are issued a 72 hour notice to present the vehicle at a formal inspection station where the vehicle passes, partially fails or completely fails.

A pass, gets a piece of paper saying the idiot official doesn't know what he's looking at or the problem has been corrected.

1 minor deficiency would result in an order to get the vehicle fixed and provide proof of the repair within a short period of time.

A complete failure results in the impounding of the vehicle and seizure of the license plate (if there is one). The only option at this point is to tow the vehicle to a repair facility and when repairs are complete a successful re-inspection can return the license plate.

Vehicles that are not towed for repair within a week are sent to scrap.

Some vehicles do not need much inspecting to determine they are beyond feasible rehabilitation. Get the obvious worst of the worst off the road in the first few months.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
45 pesos??? Must be for a real clunker...paid 3000 pesos last year for a 2016 car Revista! Some cars have so many Revistas that they can hardly see the road ahead through the plethora of stickers!

You’re confusing revista with marbete. The marbete was 3,000 pesos. 

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
Sometimes we just pee into the wind.
Yes we need a system to upgrade the vehicles and make the roads more safe.
Maybe we could start with the obvious ones '' heavy duty trucks'' with wobbley wheels and questionable air brakes.

There is insurance to consider as well.
Why are these vehicles insured? If they even are!

There is just so much missing between the new law and where the rubber hits the road.
Much bigger picture than we realize.

I do not want to ramble on... so thats my two cents worth.
Russell

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
At least initially, I would prefer to see a program where roadside spot checks are done. Vehicles with obvious defects are issued a 72 hour notice to present the vehicle at a formal inspection station where the vehicle passes, partially fails or completely fails.

A pass, gets a piece of paper saying the idiot official doesn't know what he's looking at or the problem has been corrected.

1 minor deficiency would result in an order to get the vehicle fixed and provide proof of the repair within a short period of time.

A complete failure results in the impounding of the vehicle and seizure of the license plate (if there is one). The only option at this point is to tow the vehicle to a repair facility and when repairs are complete a successful re-inspection can return the license plate.

Vehicles that are not towed for repair within a week are sent to scrap.

Some vehicles do not need much inspecting to determine they are beyond feasible rehabilitation. Get the obvious worst of the worst off the road in the first few months.

All of the above will happen right after they figure out how to get people to pay the current tickets they get.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
It would be just another brick in the huuuge wall of unapplied dominican laws......

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013

As AE pointed out you confused Marbete with Re-Vista. I can hardly see out the right side of my windshield as there is so many stickers. The good news is the cops looking for tips can't see in either.
Life here is full of trade offs.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Automobile Inspections to start in 2018

More than half of the almost two million vehicles in circulation in the Dominican Republic would not pass a rigorous technical review to determine if the vehicle is adequate for circulation, according to Luis Molina, coordinator of the Dominican Alliance for Safety and Road Mobility (Avial). He estimates that 1,230,503, or 70% of the 1,757,862 vehicles in circulation, including 100% of the public transport vehicles, would not pass real inspections.

The National Institute for Transit and Land Transport (Intrant) recently announced that real inspections would begin in 2018. But Luis Alba doubts the Intrant will have sufficient workshops to carry out the inspections, as reported in Diario Libre. He also speculated the Intrant would have inherited the old tricks from its predecessor, the OTTT that consistently has allowed inadequate vehicles to continue to circulate.

The director of the Intrant, Claudia Franchesca de los Santos has said preparations are underway so that in the second half of 2018 the first Annual Technical Vehicular Revision be started. All vehicles would be subject to the reviews. Workshops fitted with automated inspection equipment will be certified to carry out the inspections all year round. She announced that the public transport vehicles that do not pass the test will be scrapped.

Raising awareness for the need for the inspections is the recent death of a 28-year old, her 14-year old sister and 3-year old niece, in a vehicle that had been imported with the driver’s wheel on the opposite side and reassembled here incorrectly causing the driver and passengers to die from inhaling poisonous gases. De los Santos has said these deaths could have been avoided with the inspection that would have caught the serious defect.

The new inspections will be available all year round and drivers will have 30 days to comply with the recommendations of the workshops. Failure to carry out the inspection and post the passed ticket is a public employee minimum wage.

Intrant has also announced that the plan is to inspect the used vehicles upon arrival to the three authorized Dominican ports.

Source: DR1, DiarioLibre

Nov 23, 2017

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Joke of the day is that Antonio Marte of Conatra said they have 11 inspection work shops ready to carry out the inspections, with support of foreign experts and that he is at Intrants service and waiting for their response on his offer.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I would pay good money to see one an experts face when one of these clowns pulls up with his taxi with a broken windshield and one working headlight.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Pardon my skepticism.
I just cannot imagine vehicle inspections having the effect of removing the innumerable junk vehicles on the highway.
How about motos, no title, no lights and no plates?
This just seems like more than the DR is able to accomplish. Be nice if it works.

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
"She announced that the public transport vehicles that do not pass the test will be scrapped."

Why not just fix the problem....cheaper than buying a new one....ohh forgot its only taxpayers money....

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
"She announced that the public transport vehicles that do not pass the test will be scrapped."

Why not just fix the problem....cheaper than buying a new one....ohh forgot its only taxpayers money....

For most of them fixing the problems would cost more than the vehicle.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Low or interest free loans to buy already inspected 2010 or newer cars with inspections already carried out. Those that don't want to participate can buy their own cars but all junkers off the road.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I always thought the junk cars were the problem in SD, but it’s solely the driver. We have a Sonata plague now and since they are bigger but the drivers are just as bad, it’s worse.