Cost of a coffin and funeral

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
OK , Not to be morbid on Thanksgiving but a friend of mine in POP lost her mother to bone cancer today and she's pretty upset (But because of the pain her mother was in, I'm sure it was a blessing). We didn't talk long, she's a local & I know she doesn't have much money and is worrying how she can afford a coffin, funeral and burial.
But lavish looking funerals is something I see even the poorest countries turn out, with nice coffins and processions.
Are the coffins rented just for the service ? (Because this is all very expensive in the US).
I may help her out with a couple hundred dollars, although I barely knew her mom.
I'd appreciate anyone who has been through this unpleasant experience here on the North Coast what the costs are.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I have never seen a coffin rented out . I have seen every one smashed so that they could be not used again .A paupers funeral here need not be expensive. With only the body being taken from the home to the grave and without a public service or public mourning , I think 5000 pesos would be about the price. I often wonder about the poor Haitian cane workers who die with nothing but have seen the humble cemeteries where they are finally buried,maybe without a coffin .

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have never seen a coffin rented out . I have seen every one smashed so that they could be not used again .A paupers funeral here need not be expensive. With only the body being taken from the home to the grave and without a public service or public mourning , I think 5000 pesos would be about the price. I often wonder about the poor Haitian cane workers who die with nothing but have seen the humble cemeteries where they are finally buried,maybe without a coffin .

But my friend wants to have a proper funeral and burial - I was hoping maybe 25,000 pesos would cover what she wants.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Chico bill that is plenty. A cheapish coffin is around RD$8,000 and for that the funeral home will also provide the plastic chairs and the carpa (tarp) so no one sitting in the sun. That will also provide for the rental of a large coffee maker for the night of the wake - which I assume has happened - and for the food on the ninth day. Nice of you to help and sorry for her loss.

Matilda

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Business opportunity here in RD

The crematorium in Canada offers a variety of options....
Including a cardboard coffin.....quite affordable 

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Chico Bill. I mentioned in another thread that I paid for a funeral two years ago.I paid 15000 pesos and that was for the marquee and chairs outside the home for one and half days,the coffin,the hearse to the church, two grave diggers, the concrete to seal the coffin .There was an evangelical pastor there. It did not include a headstone or any plaque..That was done later.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
But my friend wants to have a proper funeral and burial - I was hoping maybe 25,000 pesos would cover what she wants.

Hold on a sec... what would she do if you weren't around? Beggars can't be choosers.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
She's not begging, she's a friend. I'm not looking for anything just trying to be human and help someone bury her mother with dignity.

But I think we have it covered. The morning period is going on at her house and I brought her some rum and vodka for that along with some finger food.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

james

Jan 14, 2002
This is a new question... A friend of mine has an older man (gringo) in his family who is dying of cancer. His family went looking for a funeral home in POP and were told by someone that the body would have to go to Santo Domingo assuming for an autopsy then be returned to POP 8 days later for burial. The family wants to do cremation and were told $80,000. pesos

After reading posts here they feel this is a gringo price. Can anyone provide contact information I can give them for a good recommended funeral home in Puerto Plata?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
This is a new question... A friend of mine has an older man (gringo) in his family who is dying of cancer. His family went looking for a funeral home in POP and were told by someone that the body would have to go to Santo Domingo assuming for an autopsy then be returned to POP 8 days later for burial. The family wants to do cremation and were told $80,000. pesos

After reading posts here they feel this is a gringo price. Can anyone provide contact information I can give them for a good recommended funeral home in Puerto Plata?

The 80,000 looks like gringo or middle/high class price (‘high end’ funeral services in SD , Blandino for example are also much higher priced than the amounts mentioned above). 

If the deceased is a foreigner by law an autopsy needs to be carried out, no matter the cause of death, even though I could imagine there are ways around that. 

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Beware of who you deal with and ASK QUESTIONS FIRST. In Sosua, Funeraria Blas Blass will pick up a body, transport it to Santiago for the autopsy, required by law for Gringos, and then turn it over to Funeraria Blandino for cremation. You will save more than US$1,200 by contacting Blandino direct.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

the price sounds about right. this article, from few years ago, gives some rough numbers:
https://www.eldinero.com.do/17277/la-cremacion-alta-temperatura-para-un-mercado-en-auge/

the best funeral home in PP is funeraria puerto plata on calle 12 de julio. 809 291 6600. it's close to the malecon.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
When my mother-in-law died a few years ago, one of Mr AE’s brothers had funeral insurance, which paid for a lot of the costs of the funeral at Blandino’s, the burial (same brother already had the crypt building), even the laminated photo prayer cards that were given out.  

It was new to me, never knew that type of insurance existed.  Is it common in DR?

I remember we had to chip in about $35,000RD, but I’m pretty sure that was for the Clinica Abreu charges that insurance didn’t cover.

For those of you who have never been in a Dominican Cemetery, this is where she was buried.  My father-in-law’s is much smaller, for only 4 or 6 people.    

62E3EEA7-49A1-4A89-A526-D61406B56175.jpg