Dominican Republic's ranking in English

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Here is an article posted in Diario Libre today that provides details about where the DR ranks in English on a global scale and compared to other countries in the region.

This is with respect to basic English skills by Dominicans who study English like being able hold a simple conversation or write a basic email in English.

I found it interesting that it mentions that the region meaning Latin America and Asia have the lowest ranking English skills as compared to other regions that are officially non-English speaking.

What can the DR do to improve and as well make the country and its citizens more globally competitive with some knowledge of English?

-MP.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticia...ero-aumento-en-el-dominio-de-ingles-EC8646350

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Spanish is the language that is spoken the most around the world except for english ,so it is not as if the DR is isolated . .I do not mind if they are not globally competitive,whatever that means but it is sad that they can not appreciate the glory of english literature with all the magic words in the enormous vocabulary.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
For people not to have read a good proportion of the english classical literature is to miss out on one of the most important things in life ..the reading is a teacher. There are some wonderful german classics also but they translate well into english .So I would love all nations to have english as a second language if it is not their first just to appreciate the masters.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Spanish is the language that is spoken the most around the world except for english ,so it is not as if the DR is isolated . .I do not mind if they are not globally competitive,whatever that means but it is sad that they can not appreciate the glory of english literature with all the magic words in the enormous vocabulary.

Did you read the article? I hope so because my post is my summary but it is essential that you read it yourself to formulate your own ideas.

I think what EFE (the company that did the research and wrote the article) means is that people in countries like the DR therefore Dominicans are not globally competitive from a job standpoint for starters because language as a form of communication opens the doors to opportunity. As well, being able to speak a language such as English, a lingua franca, is a huge bonus locally and clearly internationally. Even on small scale competition like in the DR those who can utter a few words in English and not even anything near fluent are more likely to get jobs that require interaction with the public, tourism, marketing etc. Being able to speak more than one language is an automatic game changer not to mention it’s good for your brain.

In my opinion, being able to speak one or more of the ten global languages is a bonus. I mean a true command. Complete competence and fluency in both languages (reading and writing too) which many can do will only become more crucial in our globalized world.

English and Spanish, English and French, English and Portuguese, English and German are just a few examples of some good language pairs in my opinion.

-MP. 

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i agree with you, one hundred percent. english does have more than its fair share of oddities, but the vocabulary is glorious, and a well written english novel is a joy to behold.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
I'm told that Dominicans are tired of the verb 'to be.'

Hopefully, when I move back home, I'll start teaching Shakespeare, and upon starting my first class, I'll write 'to be' on the board, then wait a few minutes...

"Ahí viene e'te pariguayo, con la mi'ma vaina de siempre. 'Toy cansa'o del marrrdito 'TU BI' derrr diablo".

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
I'm told that Dominicans are tired of the verb 'to be.'

Hopefully, when I move back home, I'll start teaching Shakespeare, and upon starting my first class, I'll write 'to be' on the board, then wait a few minutes...

"Ahí viene e'te pariguayo, con la mi'ma vaina de siempre. 'Toy cansa'o del marrrdito 'TU BI' derrr diablo".

Lucifer,

Isn't a "Tu Bi" what the ladies do with their hair before leaving the salon? lol. You have a point, my wife and kids also are tired of the verb "to be" :p

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
For people not to have read a good proportion of the english classical literature is to miss out on one of the most important things in life ..the reading is a teacher. There are some wonderful german classics also but they translate well into english .So I would love all nations to have english as a second language if it is not their first just to appreciate the masters.

The classics in literature can be a plus for a few other languages not just English. If one completes highscool in English, the classics are a part of the curriculum. However, the same holds true for Spanish. Having had the opportunity to experience reading the classics in both languages I can relate to what both offer. Actually, throw French in there too all in the original form. 

English is a rich language although today the spoken form or what is accepted is bad in my opinion (but that is the consequence of being a lingua franca). Spanish is equally as rich and the grammar is a gem if you master it. On a daily basis, I experience the beauty of language mastery and hope to have the wisdom and strength to maintain it.

-MP.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
There is classic literature, and then there are the Classics, Greco-Roman Classics. Any translation will do.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Actually, Mandarin Chinese is the most spoken language in today's world. I have two associates who have enrolled their children in Mandarin Chinese immersion courses of study, with an eye on the future.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Actually, Mandarin Chinese is the most spoken language in today's world. I have two associates who have enrolled their children in Mandarin Chinese immersion courses of study, with an eye on the future.
Mandarin is the most spoken language due to sheer numbers. The population alone makes it the most spoken language but not language popularity or the imminent need for the world to learn Mandarin. I think Spanish and English outweigh Mandarin in that category but because of the population (numbers) it comes ahead of Spanish and English as the most spoken language.

I remember twenty years ago how the global discussion was everyone better learn Mandarin or else they will be impacted from a business and communication standpoint. Well, I am still here and I have no plans to learn Mandarin. If anything English and especially Spanish have become stronger due to globalization and digitalization. The other factor is that Mandarin is not an easy language to learn compared to English and Spanish plus all the characters. It is sheer numbers, the population alone that drives that statistic.

-MP.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Mandarin is the most spoken language due to sheer numbers. The population alone makes it the most spoken language but not language popularity or the imminent need for the world to learn Mandarin. I think Spanish and English outweigh Mandarin in that category but because of the population (numbers) it comes ahead of Spanish and English as the most spoken language.

I remember twenty years ago how the global discussion was everyone better learn Mandarin or else they will be impacted from a business and communication standpoint. Well, I am still here and I have no plans to learn Mandarin. If anything English and especially Spanish have become stronger due to globalization and digitalization. The other factor is that Mandarin is not an easy language to learn compared to English and Spanish plus all the characters. It is sheer numbers, the population alone that drives that statistic.

-MP.

Understandable as well, as they are children, and it is with an eye towards the future. Whether it be for business, trading or commerce, combined with the English and Spanish they currently possess, it is most assuredly a path to success. Ramifications of having parents associated with the United Nations.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Marianopolita ;yes I read the article and thought it was just an opinion rather than a fact ..For example people in Thailand who speak Chinese have greater opportunities than Thais who speak english . In the DR ,english is useful in tourist areas but I think the emphasis should be on having a second language .. It is just that no other language has a vocabulary as full and minutely diverse as english .
To your main point . I was a volunteer teacher in the higher grades here in the DR and never saw an English classic ,,in fact Dominicans are not prolific readers .Yes living here ,it is difficult to have an amusing or high level conversation in English because the American english ,especially here is basic .The adverbs are forgotten and the sentence structure is school boy level. GB Shaw said about 100 years ago that the english could not speak there own language ( in Pygmalion) and Malcolm Muggeridge wrote about the the decline in the numbers of people speaking good english in an article in the Times some 25 years ago. However good english is still produced by English authors ,normally those from the traditional universities. Ian Mckewan wrote The atonement which is gloriously written. So why can't the Americans ? I suppose because they are writing for the masses in the USA .
Anyway , I have given away hundreds of books to various students that I used to teach here and I basically kept to two . The Book of Common Prayer because of its regal language and Rudyard Kipling books because Kipling wrote a good yarn in good english;The man who would be King being a great example .

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Kipling333, have you ever had the opportunity to visit Bateman's? Several times I have been fortunate enough, and have always found it to be a decidedly pleasurable experience.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I am not too sure to what you refer but I think the answer is no

Bateman's is Rudyard Kipling's former home in Burwash. It was bequeathed to the National Trust and has been a public museum dedicated to the author for quite some time. Being an admirer of the man's works, I was wondering if you had ever visited yourself.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Marianopolita ;yes I read the article and thought it was just an opinion rather than a fact ..For example people in Thailand who speak Chinese have greater opportunities than Thais who speak english . In the DR ,english is useful in tourist areas but I think the emphasis should be on having a second language .. It is just that no other language has a vocabulary as full and minutely diverse as english .
To your main point . I was a volunteer teacher in the higher grades here in the DR and never saw an English classic ,,in fact Dominicans are not prolific readers .Yes living here ,it is difficult to have an amusing or high level conversation in English because the American english ,especially here is basic .The adverbs are forgotten and the sentence structure is school boy level. GB Shaw said about 100 years ago that the english could not speak there own language ( in Pygmalion) and Malcolm Muggeridge wrote about the the decline in the numbers of people speaking good english in an article in the Times some 25 years ago. However good english is still produced by English authors ,normally those from the traditional universities. Ian Mckewan wrote The atonement which is gloriously written. So why can't the Americans ? I suppose because they are writing for the masses in the USA .
Anyway , I have given away hundreds of books to various students that I used to teach here and I basically kept to two . The Book of Common Prayer because of its regal language and Rudyard Kipling books because Kipling wrote a good yarn in good english;The man who would be King being a great example .

Thanks for the reply and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I am not surprised that the English level that you witnessed in the DR (public schools?) was very basic. That would be asking too much in my opinion that the teachers also have a command of English when many don’t have a proper command of Spanish. That was the aspect I found strange about the article regarding the DR. The focus should be on mastering a good command of Spanish at an academic level before stressing the need to get on board with English.

-MP.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thanks for the reply and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. I am not surprised that the English level that you witnessed in the DR (public schools?) was very basic. That would be asking too much in my opinion that the teachers also have a command of English when many don’t have a proper command of Spanish. That was the aspect I found strange about the article regarding the DR. The focus should be on mastering a good command of Spanish at an academic level before stressing the need to get on board with English.

-MP.

There are two bilingual schools in Jarabacoa , Duolos Discover and Jarabacoa Christian school. The majority of children at these two schools are fluent English speakers within a few years, although they are overdosed in religious dogma. The majority of Dominican parents that can afford it try to give their children English classes.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
There are two bilingual schools in Jarabacoa , Duolos Discover and Jarabacoa Christian school. The majority of children at these two schools are fluent English speakers within a few years, although they are overdosed in religious dogma. The majority of Dominican parents that can afford it try to give their children English classes.

Agreed. All our nieces and nephews learned English, after school programs. Even in our campo, the kids have English classes, our ex-caretaker’s three sons used to like to stop after school to practice their English (and get a snack, lol!) with me.