Air Transat & luggage

can2002

Mar 13, 2002
Has anyone here travelled with Air Transat before?? Is there anything we should know? I wanted to know how much luggage others have brought without going over the limit (44lbs). I want to buy new luggage and was thinking of a three piece set ... would this be worth it. Its a set where even the larger bag is not that big. In fact I think that two of the three pieces are the required size of carry-on. Can someone bring two pieces of carry-on luggage for one person?? Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
I believe you are only allowed 2 pieces and one carry-on, unless you have a baby, in which case you can bring a diaper bag. Don't go over the 44 lbs, because they will weigh it (on the Canada side, if you are leaving the country from Puerto Plata, the scales have been broken for years). Any kilo over 20 costs you $5/kilo, so it's important you carefully weigh it, they don't cut much slack.

Here is a link:
http://www.airtransat.com/en/4_6.asp

Have a great trip!

can2002

Mar 13, 2002
has anyone taken two....

Thanks very much for the link to the Air Transat info. One more question though. Has anyone out there checked two pieces of luggage for one person?? If so what type of baggage did you use?? Any tips on how to keep it light?? Thanks again.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Little known tip

You're also allowed to bring one "sports" bag......be it golf clubs or scuba equipment or tennis equipment. (or anything else you can stuff in there!)
Just make sure it doesn't weigh more than 30 Kilos........
they'll tell you your over weight and that they should charge you extra...you tell them your travel agent said you were allowed...didn't say anything about it needing to be in the 20 kilo/44 pound weight allowance. They'll warn you that next time they'll charge you but they don't!!!

Nicole

Mar 16, 2002
My friends and I went with Air Transat in Feb. Make sure that you check your flight times. They changed our flight times on the Friday before we left (we were to leave Mon morning early instead we left a little later) They also changed our flight time on the way back so instead of leaving at 11:00 pm we left at 3:00. We had to stop and go through customs in Buffalo (I am still not sure why we let people off and we got on the same plane...) The worst part of it was that I got to spend a "lovely" evening in the Toronto airport because my connecting flight was not till 7:00 am the following day.

A couple that was on the same plane as us went over on their weight limit. I am not sure what she had in this bag but it ended up costing them $70 to leave some at the airport. (afterwards they figured out that it would of cost them the same amount if they had of paid the penalty and they would of had their stuff with them) I have a medium suitcase (you know the ones with wheels) and I packed it pritty full and was fine. Just don't take a pound of bricks and you will be too.

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Put your heavy stuff in your carry-on. This is very seldomly weighed.

Buy a really big suitcase, rather than 2 smaller ones. I have never seen them take out a measuring tape and measure if the suitcase is too large.

And this little lie worked for me once: I was going down for Christmas and was bringing a ton of stuff, including a small TV in my luggage. I knew the name of the manager at Air TransAt in POP, so I said that I was going down to apply for a job with Air TransAt, and had to bring all my stuff because if I was accepted, I had to start working right away. If I wouldn't have said that, I would've had to pay $75.

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Hee hee, Trina - what a bold lie! Good one...

I've always just relied on good, old-fashioned crying. It's amazing what crying can get you out of...

can2002

Mar 13, 2002
thanks everyone!!!!

I just wanted to thank you all for you input. I think I will go with one large piece to check rather than two smaller ones & ofcourse a carry-on. And if I go over a few pounds in weight I guess I will just bring on the tears :) Thanks Again!!!!