Puerto Plata Historic Center: Kill Three Birds with One Flame

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Apparently 3 historic houses in the Historic Center of Puerto Plata went up in flames.

According to rumors, some Haitians lived in one of the abandoned houses and had a cooking accident. Investigations are still inconclusive.

[video=youtube;0WQb2XAS7mE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WQb2XAS7mE[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
[video=youtube;lPvMLZBsqxo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPvMLZBsqxo[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I really like those beautiful old wooden houses. Such a sad sight.

I hope Ministerio de Turismo rebuilds them, even if its for touristic purposes. They have done that. Near the central park by the Catedral San Felipe they built a new house in the Victorian style when before I think there was a parking lot and it looks beautiful. It doesn't matter if its new, the Victorian ambiance need to be protected and enhanced in such historic districts.

[video=youtube;KkuBgxuvX3k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkuBgxuvX3k[/video]

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Round them up, send them home. No need
to repeat this episode a second, third, forth
or fifth time.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Round them up, send them home. No need
to repeat this episode a second, third, forth
or fifth time.

I would agree with that if they entered and were remaining in DR illegally, but many Haitians are legal, and many of Haitian heritage were born here, are legal and are Dominicans, maybe slightly darker.

I don't know the details of this fire but since there were "reports" that a 'possible cooking accident' was to blame do we just immediately assume some illegals are to blame because they are an easy scapegoat ?

Cristo I would think that someone who uses the moniker "Christ King "
would be a little more benevolent.

I really enjoyed the videos posted by Cobraboy on another thread "Just Back from Haiti...." and I think I'll be visiting Haiti soon myself. Hey I'm the 1st to say control the borders, I even think a wall on the Southern US border is needed. But I do have some friends who are of Haitian heritage and find them honest and caring as a group and yes there are some real creeps among them too.

I too like the old nature of the buildings in POP but if they are so desirable why are so many left to rot, no paint and porches collapsing and abandoned, as apparently was this home. I would hope that someday these buildings are seen as desirable & valuable (like those in New Orleans or St. Augustine) that people scramble to buy them to restore and fully maintain them to their glory and elevate the neighborhood.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
By the way the owner of the home was a man with a famous last name of Brugal - any relation ?

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
the discussion about haitians in DR ends here.

The bigger discussion should be about the lack of proper personal protective equipment worn by the first responders. Do they actually believe the masks they are wearing are going to protect them from inhalation of the toxics in the smoke plume? I’d stay as far away as possible unless I was wearing SCBA. Access by the general public should have been restricted to avoid their exposure to the smoke plume. Maybe I’m not being realistic here. I’ve seen large crowds gather during emergency incidents in the DR. At times they hinder the first responders trying to do their jobs. I’m sure some people actually want to help but, more often than not, it’s just morbid fascination, especially at traffic accidents. 

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The bigger discussion should be about the lack of proper personal protective equipment worn by the first responders. Do they actually believe the masks they are wearing are going to protect them from inhalation of the toxics in the smoke plume? I’d stay as far away as possible unless I was wearing SCBA. Access by the general public should have been restricted to avoid their exposure to the smoke plume. Maybe I’m not being realistic here. I’ve seen large crowds gather during emergency incidents in the DR. At times they hinder the first responders trying to do their jobs. I’m sure some people actually want to help but, more often than not, it’s just morbid fascination, especially at traffic accidents. 

Eco it seems you were almost clairvoyant -
http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/muere-bombero-en-medio-de-incendio-en-sfm/