Gringa/Dominicana looks LADIES ONLY

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I am perfectly comf leaving my house with wet hair, wild hair, only a pony tail. (This is OK in the US.) I was also genetically gifted with fantastic hair.

My Dominicana friends are horrified at this behaviour of mine. Because here, you never leave the house with hair in any state except the following: a.) done; b.) in tubi; c.) in curlers.

Thoughts?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
A woman who loves her own hair is a rare thing. I loathe mine but everyone else says they love it.

I like going out with freshly washed wet hair and letting it dry in the sun.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
I am the same, wash and go! I am also happy with my hair as its very easy to manage and also horrify some of my domincana friends lol... Also wearing shorts to town is a big no no

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I’ve washed my hair daily for over 50 years, which horrifies my Dominican family and the maid/neighbors.  Until I retired, that meant blow dry and styling daily.  I never knew how wavy/curly my hair is, as it is fine and blows out straight very easily.  So, not only do I wash and go, Dominicans don’t understand why I don’t tame the curls.  In the USA I leave it long (past shoulders), but in DR usually a ponytail, bun or jaw clip, I can’t take the long hair on my neck in the heat.  I’ll never understand women who can get their hair “done” once a week (and in DR longer than that), I could never do it.  My mother was blessed with gorgeous thick hair, but very dry, it worked for her.  I’d be itchy on day #2

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Ponytail is my best friend. Wash and put it up in a ponytail or a clip and out the door I go. As I age (gracefully I might add..lol) I have been become less concerned about the small things such as having perfectly coiffed hair.

Julia31

Jan 4, 2012
Well to be honest sometimes they remind me of the wifes of Stepford. Always done hair, strong make-up and manicure..i cannot compete with that lol

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Wash, condition with mascarilla, aragon oil, gel to control frizz and off I go always in shorts with not a care in the world what the street thinks.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
And what is this with wandering around the streets, sweeping the leaves and going to the colmado with your nightgown on? All of the ladies here wander around in cotton nightgowns as if it is the latest fashion. Cotton, floral down to the knees, some button up the front, some not, bit of lace around the neck. If I go out to the colmado around 8 am I am the only lady wearing clothes!

Matilda

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
it’s nice to not have to worry about my hair anymore - cutting, styling, spraying . . .

I keep it clean and in a ponytail when it’s hot, I couldn’t be happier just letting it grow nice and long without having to do anything to it

lmao at hair in curlers in public, it looks hysterical

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
We were running late when my Caribbean coworker and I had gone to the salon near our Piantini apartment. I was still in the chair with wet hair and she had finished her blow out.  I told her I’d asked the stylist to towel dry my hair and I’d throw it in a pony tail so we would be on time.  Her response?  “If you leave this salon with your hair like that, I won’t be caught dead with you in the street”. She was laughing but still meant it.  

Another Dominican coworker said that if I put wet hair in a pony tail, the climate there would make it rot. What? My hair was a mess after I left the DR for other reasons, but it didn’t rot at any point.  Incessant blow outs no matter the reason for my salon visit were the most probable culprit. My hair is normally poker straight and lifeless but it has a beautiful bounce and slight wave when I’m there.  Like someone else posted, curls are like sacrilege *gasp*. The grass is always greener, but I’ve had loose perms put in a few times to give my long, straight hair some life.

When I had first moved to the DR, I thought the toobies were so bizarre, and I wouldn’t be caught dead with one on my head in public. Plus they’re a pain too, what with swirling your hair around your head and pinning it with bobby pins every so often.  Who can sleep like that? The pins would give me split ends.  

The most interesting however, was when I was told that women can’t wash their hair for a week after child birth. I didn’t ask why, but maybe someone knows?  Bad luck or something more practical?  I wash my hair every other day religiously and my post-partum routine thankfully was no different.  

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
In the DR wash and go. I will pull it in a ponytail or clip it up. If for some reason I need to do the blowout thing (special occasion) ok but honestly wash and go is what I do. For a quick run to the store, t-shirt and leggings (exercise type) or capris. Been in New Jersey (visiting son) and it is cold and I mean cold so heavy coat, sweats, Uggs, etc... In the DR I really like it simple. Nightgown..hahaha..never.

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
my friend who is also a hairdresser said that it’s easier for him to cut dirty hair so I don’t wash it when I go for a trim

I only get the dead ends trimmed off every few months, everyone should he says

he also said not to wash hair too often as the oils that develop will protect the hair, so I don’t wash my hair every time I take a shower, maybe just wash it once a week or so

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Local women wear shorts too. That's not really a "no no". What's considered kind of weird is old men in short shorts, which often look like old school boys.
Regarding hair, curls and afros are okay There's a trend to go natural and stylist and advicing women to go natural. Unless you work at a place with zero curly hair policy, you'll be okay if you want to go curly.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Local women wear shorts too. That's not really a "no no". What's considered kind of weird is old men in short shorts, which often look like old school boys.
Regarding hair, curls and afros are okay There's a trend to go natural and stylist and advicing women to go natural. Unless you work at a place with zero curly hair policy, you'll be okay if you want to go curly.

Zero curly hair policy?  I can only shake my head at that.  How common is that policy??

Closest thing I’ve ever heard in the US is not allowing men any facial hair.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
I get my hair colored at a Dominican salon. While last there, there was a beautiful little girl of 8 years old with long painted nail tips. Creeped me out. 

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Zero curly hair policy?  I can only shake my head at that.  How common is that policy?

It's gradually changing but it still hits the headlines from time to time. Women being fired or told to straighten their hair and schools sending girls home for wearing their "natural" hair. A recent one was when the Minister of Higher Education told a scholarship applicant she wouldn't be considered with her hair in that state.
...esperar a la ministra de Educación Superior Ciencias y Tecnología Ligia Amada Melo y hablar con ella.... La honorable ministra, en mi cara, delante de otras personas que estaban a la espera de verse con ella…me dijo:

“YO NO LE DOY BECAS A PERSONAS QUE TENGAN EL PELO COMO TÚ, SOY ANTICUADA, PERO NO”.
https://acento.com.do/2016/actualid...ia-ministra-le-nego-beca-pos-grado-pelo-afro/

This woman has a famous salon for women with curly hair and runs a campaign on the issue:
https://www.facebook.com/Miss-Rizos-235632179794319/

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I get my hair colored at a Dominican salon. While last there, there was a beautiful little girl of 8 years old with long painted nail tips. Creeped me out. 

Hideous. They also instil self-hate by getting their hair straightened. And don't get me started on heels for toddlers.