Extension (Prorroga) of Tourist Card in SD

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
Hello,

Has anyone managed to successfully extend their tourist card at Migracion in SD? I have read through the majority of threads on the issue, but all I see are people posting requirements for the process as opposed to their actual experiences doing it.

My situation: I plan on going to SD for three months, after which time I will go by bus to Haiti and spend two weeks there before flying back home (the US). Since I am doubting you can pay your tourist card overstay fee at the land borders, it's best if I just extend the tourist card in SD itself for the duration of my stay. I'd like to know:

- How time-consuming the process was AND/OR
- If documents like the "medical certificate" were actually solicited during the experience (I am 29 years old and fit, if appearances matter)

Thanks!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I physically went to the immigration office in Santo Domingo.  They denied it was possible and handed me a printout of the overstay fines and said to just pay when I left.  You’re probably too young to know what a “bum’s rush” is, but that’s what I got.  

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I physically went to the immigration office in Santo Domingo.  They denied it was possible and handed me a printout of the overstay fines and said to just pay when I left.  You’re probably too young to know what a “bum’s rush” is, but that’s what I got.  

Maybe will be more easy to get a Dominican visa stamped in your passport, every body just pay the fine before leave.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I'm starting to think the only people who are
really concerned about whether or not gringos
are in this country legally... are the gringos.

chs1986

Nov 29, 2017
On the one hand, I agree that there is probably an undue amount of worry on the part of gringos given how lax the government seems to be re: overstaying. On the other hand, I have been in too many situations where some low-level government employee all of a sudden tries to enforce the otherwise ignored rules as they are literally written, either for a bribe or just because, "But...the rules!!!"

The issue in this case is my exit via the land border, as I can imagine some "official" there deciding to not let me leave or otherwise severely delaying me because I've overstayed with no extension. I'd be more than happy to pay the overstay fee at the land border, but I haven't been given any indication that that's even possible.

scotia

Mar 18, 2004
I'm overstaying the 30 days in January and was told by the Dominican Embassy here in Ottawa that I pay when I leave. No big deal.
On another note my Dominican husband gets bothered way more than I ever have coming into and leaving the DR. A lot of those airport immigration workers seem to expect something from him!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The system is really simple. You enter the DR, leave the DR, and pay what you owe for overstaying when you leave.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
The system is really simple. You enter the DR, leave the DR, and pay what you owe for overstaying when you leave.

Until the Extranjero-Round-Up-Buses start rolling sweeps again

jgolak

Dec 8, 2017
My wife and I have stayed well beyond the 30 days with our Tourist Card (most recently returning in October) with no issues - just pay the overstay fee.

Big question I have though is with driving/renting a car when the 30 day Tourist Card expires. I've been told by numerous people that if I were to rent/drive a car beyond the 30 day limit insurance (even if purchased) would not be valid as I would be driving illegally. I was told that even if the car were parked and hit, it would not be covered.

We are coming back in January to look for our place to move to. We're spending the first month in Juan Dolio then going up to Sosua(just as our 30 day Tourist Card will expire).

Anyway for us to legally drive beyond 30 days besides having to leave the country and reentering? We didn't plan on applying for residency until we secured our long-term rental in the town in which we hope to make the permanent move to (still undecided).

Thanks for any advice!
JOHN

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I know people who are living here for 20 years with no residency or citizenship. They have cars, they drive the cars, they have insurance, they are stopped by Police, with no consequence of any kind.

And I am a DR citizen, so I don't say this because I am here on a tourist card.

When you can, if you want to live here permanently get residency. Until then enjoy and do not pay any attention to the "doom and gloom" crowd on this forum.

jgolak

Dec 8, 2017
Thanks Sky, just don't want to lose what we've saved to move to the DR to someone trying to pin a claim on a non-resident.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
John
That is the question....are you legal after the 30 days.
There are enough stories to make you think !!

Insurance won't pay.... Health insurance covers less....
fraught with problems.....
all of which disappear with residency

Crapshoot........

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I know people who are living here for 20 years with no residency or citizenship. They have cars, they drive the cars, they have insurance, they are stopped by Police, with no consequence of any kind.

And I am a DR citizen, so I don't say this because I am here on a tourist card.

When you can, if you want to live here permanently get residency. Until then enjoy and do not pay any attention to the "doom and gloom" crowd on this forum.

As a fellow Dominican citizen, I support this statement 110%. Historically, it's the expatriate community which takes exception to the long running practice, thereby creating more complications for themselves then necessary.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
John
That is the question....are you legal after the 30 days.
There are enough stories to make you think !!

Insurance won't pay.... Health insurance covers less....
fraught with problems.....
all of which disappear with residency

Crapshoot........

The assertion regarding health insurance is not the case. As long as your insurance payments are not in arrears, treatments will be covered. Clinics and doctor offices ask to see your medical insurance card. They then verify it with the issuing company via telephone. They do not ask the patient if they are in the RD over 30 days. I have had many contacts and associations with people who have been in identical situations over the years, and they never faced a problem or conflict.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Thanks Sky, just don't want to lose what we've saved to move to the DR to someone trying to pin a claim on a non-resident.

Sadly, this could happen to any person. Resident or non-resident. Legal resident or citizen. All that is needed is a person in search of financial gains, and an attorney. The RD is no different than every other corner of the world.