Source for Generic Prescriptions??

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Hello All,

I'm sure I'm not the only permanent ex-pat paying out-of-pocket for meds. I now have a new med which is going to cost me RD 3,000 per month. Ouch! I've checked five pharmacies and the prices are approximately the same. I have checked La Botica, Padre Billini, not available.

The generic for my med is seven times less expensive but I cannot order online due to physician licensing issues.

Q1: Does anyone know of a pharmacy in Sto. Dom. that specializes in generics?

Q2: Does anyone know of an online website (Spanish) serving Latin America that would accept a prescription from an M.D. in Sto Dom.?

Cheers and Happy December 24.

P.S. The med I am looking for is paroxetina and NOT Laparox. If is says Laparox on the box, I don't want it.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
December 24th ?

Several studies have associated paroxetine (as it is called in English) with suicidal thinking and behavior in children and adolescents.
It also can cause sexual dysfunction.
$3000 pesos a month is not expensive for an anti-depressant drug. Those are kept on the down low in the DR and for good reason - they have side effects that must be closely monitored. I assume you are having panic attacks or some compulsive behavior symptoms ? If you are afraid of Laparox is that because you have already had bad experiences with it, and if so why are you willing to go with a generic which may be untested ?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Dv8 may be able to help, but it sounds like you have already done an extensive look for it. It may just be that it will cost you RD 3,000 a month. True that meds like this are more tightly controlled as well here.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Generic Meds in Sto.Dom; Reply to "chico bill"

December 24th ?

Several studies have associated paroxetine (as it is called in English) with suicidal thinking and behavior in children and adolescents.
It also can cause sexual dysfunction.
$3000 pesos a month is not expensive for an anti-depressant drug. Those are kept on the down low in the DR and for good reason - they have side effects that must be closely monitored. I assume you are having panic attacks or some compulsive behavior symptoms ? If you are afraid of Laparox is that because you have already had bad experiences with it, and if so why are you willing to go with a generic which may be untested ?

Thank you, Chico Billl. After having lived in the D.R. (and Haiti) since 2009, I just learned that the 24th is, essentially, the Dominican Christmas. It is cooking, food, family, and fun--all day. It has tradtional foods such as a Russian potato salad corored red with beets and a traditional bread. I don't remember the name of the bread. Can somebody help? There are also Christian traditions in the U.S. and Europe that celebrate Christmas on the 24th, albeit, Christmas Eve. The Dominican Christmas is much like our Thanksgiving in the U.S.

Paroxetine is an SSRI. I have been taking an SSRI for 20+ years, so I am well aware of their side effects: nothing earth-shattering unless you are an outlier. I am switching to a different SSRI that is more efficacious for anxiety. Whether RD 3000 per month is expensive is relative. It's seven times more expensive than I can get it for at healthwarehouse.com in Kentucky IF I can get a U.S. licensed M.D. to approve it, and being retired and on a fixed income . . . the price difference will pay for my Tricom service for one month.

I'm not afraid of not taking Laparox rather than a generic. The chemistry of generics are the same. I have taken warfarin instead of Coumadin for 30+ years, with no issues when I compare to the manufacturer's drug which I did take originally.

Still hunting for an online pharmacy that will take a prescription from my M.D. in the D.R.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You might be able to find a US doctor in the DR who can write you a prescription for an online pharmacy. I doubt they would take a DR doctor's prescription, but less us know if you find out differently.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Dv8 may be able to help, but it sounds like you have already done an extensive look for it. It may just be that it will cost you RD 3,000 a month. True that meds like this are more tightly controlled as well here.

Please, what is "Dv8"?? I've taken meds from two classes: SSRI's and trycyclics. I have never been required to present a "receta" for these meds. But I'll tell you what is regulated strictly and that is alprazolam (Xanax). That requires a prescription in triplicate from a psychiatrist M.D. and the pharmacy retains the record and if want a refill, you have to return to the same pharmacy. Xanax is in the benzodiazepine class and they are known to be addictive and are intented only for occasional use, not maintenance.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
You might be able to find a US doctor in the DR who can write you a prescription for an online pharmacy. I doubt they would take a DR doctor's prescription, but less us know if you find out differently.

Thanks, that's an idea. I'm going to have to check into that. I'm guessing that that would be a physician here currently licensed here and in the U.S.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
dv8 is a member and a moderator, and also is an owner of a pharmacy located in DR. In this forum, she is by far your best resource to get an answer to your question.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks, that's an idea. I'm going to have to check into that. I'm guessing that that would be a physician here currently licensed here and in the U.S.

I was thinking in the US. But both here and the US would equally well. Being licensed here is probably irrelevant to an online pharmacy honoring your prescription.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Q1: Does anyone know of a pharmacy in Sto. Dom. that specializes in generics?....

Cheers and Happy December 24.

P.S. The med I am looking for is paroxetina and NOT Laparox. If is says Laparox on the box, I don't want it.

Have you tried the small pharmacy by Clinca Abreu opposite the gas station and a block before the justice building (off of independencia)?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as far as i know paroxetina, along with similar meds is not a control substance, therefore in DR it can be purchased without prescription.

all pharmacies in DR carry generic medicine made in local labs but not all compounds have generic versions. you may have some luck in large chain pharmacies that offer wider choice, simply asking for paroxetine should yield some results. but it may be one of those substances that are not cheap, no matter the actual brand.

most pharmacies will offer 10% discount on cash payments and may go even lower if you buy a larger supply.