DR and Jamaica are Getting Closer

Should the DR get closer to Jamaica?

• Yes, the DR has the most to gain from.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, albeit Jamaica is the one to gain the most.

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Yes, both countries will equally gain from this.

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • It doesn't matter.

Votes: 11 68.8%

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This week Danilo Medina spent a few days in Jamaica due to the tourism conference. While there, the Jamaican leader gave Danilo the second most important distinction. It seem that Jamaica is ignoring the rest of CARICOM, which are not happy with the DR due to the Haitian immigration issue (but none of those islands open their borders to uncontrolled Haitian immigration, you know to put their money where their mouth is), and is going ahead with creating greater political, social, and economic exchanges with the DR.

Back in May the Jamaican Prime Minister visited Danilo in Santo Domingo and he too was received with distinction.

The DR and Jamaica aren't really close countries, despite the geographical proximity. The last time the DR and Jamaica had regular economic interchange of relevant size was in the 1700's.

[video=youtube;HIf7UeUzqNY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIf7UeUzqNY[/video]
Danilo Medina on his way to Jamaica a few days ago.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This was the official welcoming to the Dominican Republic of the Prime Minister of Jamaica back in May 2017.

[video=youtube;Iu2jAdyoTwo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu2jAdyoTwo[/video]

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The official agreement between the DR and Jamaica back in May 2017. Both countries agreed to cooperate in tourism, commerce, and education initiatives.

[video=youtube;36Mt0tNBYp0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36Mt0tNBYp0[/video]

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
I would love to see direct flights from Sto Dgo to Kingston and no visa needed for citizens of both nations. I can see myself (& family) going on JA trips every now & then. Jamaica, best music, better food, and fantastic entertainment!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Does this mean the smugglers who import ganga will be getting a new source and improving the quality ? Just saying, and is medical marijuana far behind, like is now being rolled out (accidental pun) in Puerto Rico ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This was the official welcoming to the Dominican Republic of the Prime Minister of Jamaica back in May 2017.

[video=youtube;Iu2jAdyoTwo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iu2jAdyoTwo[/video]

i wonder if Danilo speaks any english..i don't think Holness is too fluent in spanish. then again,,interpreters, i guess.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Does this mean the smugglers who import ganga will be getting a new source and improving the quality ? Just saying, and is medical marijuana far behind, like is now being rolled out (accidental pun) in Puerto Rico ?

....in my home state of Minnesota.....you go to your MD, tell that person you want weed....a variety of reasons are ok.....take your note to friendly weed store and make your choice.....takes the criminal element out of it...high quality...low price......

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
i wonder if Danilo speaks any english..i don't think Holness is too fluent in spanish. then again,,interpreters, i guess.

For at least the last century, all Dominican heads of state have spoken English. Whether they do so when the cameras are filming, or the microphones are turned on is a different matter.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

[video=youtube;-UD_LvCv1mU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UD_LvCv1mU[/video]

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I believe the recent agreement brokered with Taiwan carries more weight than this one does with Jamaica, and therefore more significant for the RD moving forward.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
What are the unique benefits each country brings to the table?

Seems like a group yawn...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I believe the recent agreement brokered with Taiwan carries more weight than this one does with Jamaica, and therefore more significant for the RD moving forward.

I would tend to agree that a deal with Taiwan could be far more important.
A deal with Jamaica is going to do what?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
A Google search, only for the sake of an expeditious analysis provides the following:
Jamaica's main exports are alumina, bauxite, sugar, rum, coffee, yams, beverages, chemicals and mineral fuels.
The RD's main exports are free-trade-zone manufactured products (garments, medical devices, and so on), gold, nickel, protection equipment, bananas, liquor, cocoa beans, silver, and sauces and seasonings.
Jamaica's main imports are food and other consumer goods, industrial supplies, fuel, parts and accessories of capital goods, construction materials machinery, and transport equipment.
The RD's main imports are petroleum, industrial raw materials, machinery, equipment, vehicles, tools, and food.
A more comprehensive examination will take some time, involving proper methods of scrutiny.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
A Google search, only for the sake of an expeditious analysis provides the following:
Jamaica's main exports are alumina, bauxite, sugar, rum, coffee, yams, beverages, chemicals and mineral fuels.
The RD's main exports are free-trade-zone manufactured products (garments, medical devices, and so on), gold, nickel, protection equipment, bananas, liquor, cocoa beans, silver, and sauces and seasonings.
Jamaica's main imports are food and other consumer goods, industrial supplies, fuel, parts and accessories of capital goods, construction materials machinery, and transport equipment.
The RD's main imports are petroleum, industrial raw materials, machinery, equipment, vehicles, tools, and food.
A more comprehensive examination will take some time, involving proper methods of scrutiny.
If there were advantages to trade, don't you think entrepreneurs in both countries would have already been doing it?

The DR gubmint has an entire entity that does nothing but search for export & DR investment opportunities: CEI-RD. I know for a fact that while looking for export opportunities CEI-RD identified IMPORT opportunities.

As far as I can tell the recent meeting between the countries was about joint tourism. And note that the ministers of tourism and/or tourism boards have an organization that meets every year.

Seems more like a make-nice political photo-op more than anything else. That said, I do think the tourist taxes should be revisited. They jack up airfares significantly.