yet another visa question....

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
I know you guys are sick of visa questions, but you know so much collectively, i can?t help it...

If someone is thinking of applying for the fiance visa for the US within a period of, say, 4 years, should that person apply for a tourist visa in the meantime if they want it, knowing that the chances are most likely slim that they will get it? Basically what I am asking is that should the person not apply for a tourist visa because applying for one too many times and being denied will hurt the chances for the fiance visa in the future?? This person has applied for a tourist visa twice before and been denied both times.

Daybee

Feb 28, 2002
More Visa Questions

Sorry another dumb question on this subject BUT.. can you tell me why requests for a visitors visa would be likely to be denied? Is there a limit to the number of times you can apply?

Thanks for you time.

Jerry

Jan 1, 2002
www.livinginsantiago.com
The problem with a visitor visa is this. If they can not prove they have reason to return then it will be denied. There are questions on the visa application about having family or boyfriend/girlfriend in the USA. If you answer yes, then it gives you less reason to return to the DR. Now when it comes time to apply for the K-1 visa which is the fiance visa, they ask if you have ever been denied a visa. If yes then the burden of proof you must supply has just increased. Remember that with the K-1 you must prove that you are indeed a couple and supply the proof to back it up. For a lack of a better of saying it, they assume fraud and you are guilty until you prove otherwise. In my OPINION, I believe the system is set-up in a way to make you want to quit. Those that don't quit nust really be a true couple. Maybe that is backwards thinking, but that is the appearance to me. I have people tell me that when they went to the consulate to ask about bringing their novia up for Christmas to meet the family, the consulate told them not to even apply unless it was for the K-1.

Jerry

Bugsey34

Bronze
Feb 15, 2002
venting!!!!!!

I am sorry to vent about this because I'm surea billion other people have, but the whole thing is so frustrating!!!!!!!!!! It is true that you have to be a true couple to put up with this ****. What bothers me about it is that I do understand their vigilance because there have been so many who have abused the system, but then when someone does show proof that they would pretty much be nuts to leave the DR, maybe not financially but in other things (such as this case in which my boyfriend is in his last semester of law school, has a job as a teacher with which he is extremely busy and involved,) they are still deined. What kind of idiot would be in law school for years and years with only one semester left, wasting all that money, if he was going to up and try to move to someplace where his law degree is worthless??? On top of all this he does have a financial sponsor, not me, he mentions nothing about a girlfriend, this whole process is with someone else he works with that is an American. Ahhhhh!