renwel of residency

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
has anyone recently renewed there residency.???  we are due in Jan 2018 and was interested in what has changed this year ?????

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. It is all done online to start with now.
2. There is an office in Puerto Plata.
3. Only a lawyer can go with you to Migracion, not a mate.

Matilda

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
What does #3 mean ?

Does it know have to be done with a lawyer ?
I ve always done on my own it with the help of my wife. Does she count as a mate ?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Mine is due in a couple of months. I have never needed a lawyer in the past. Has this changed. This is a renewal not a new residence.
The last time I renewed my residencey it was amazingly simple. Please don't tell me they complicated this.
I really don't want to go postal here because the jails here really suck and when I got out they would still make me me jump through hoops to renew my residency.
Can someone who has renewed in the past month please let us know what the new process is.

kampinge

Jan 18, 2012
Mine is due in a couple of months. I have never needed a lawyer in the past. Has this changed. This is a renewal not a new residence.
The last time I renewed my residencey it was amazingly simple. Please don't tell me they complicated this.
I really don't want to go postal here because the jails here really suck and when I got out they would still make me me jump through hoops to renew my residency.
Can someone who has renewed in the past month please let us know what the new process is.
Just go on their website and follow the instructions. They are in Spanish you need someone to translate if you do not understand. It is very easy as long you are able to read and understand. log in by make an account and uppload the docs. Then you can follow the hole process on line on your accound. When your docs are checked they tell you (on line ) to go to Santo Domingo for med exam.After about 14 days your application is approved ( if everything ok ) and you go to Santo Domingo get your resedency card and go same day for your new cedular.
Done it like that in July.
good luck

frenchfamilly

Sep 17, 2017
Hello,
We live in Lomas Mironas. We did our first renewal last september.
This was very easy and we didn't have to get help from a lawyer.
You can do everything via the Migration website, and then bring the originals papers to the Office in Puerto Plata, when all is ready, they call you and give you a date for an appointment in Santo Domingo in order to get your news cards (cedula and residencia).
The whole thing lasts about 28 days.
But you are able to start the process only 30 days before the expiration date of your old cedula.
The only thing that is new, is that you have to get a Repatriation Insurance (you can buy it in Puerto Plata within Patria Insurance, about $115/$120).
Hope this helps.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I did it all online and went to the Santo Domingo office on my own in December of last year.

Big Friendly

Aug 1, 2017
Just completed mine. DR1 has some excellent reviews on the process. They were extremely helpful. You can only start the process 45 days from expiry. Go online and select the type of visa you are renewing. There is a list of documents that you must submit online. Use your camera and take photos of the requested documents. You may have to shrink some as there is a size limit to the jpg picture format. eg you can't upload a 2 MB photo. It needs to be 150 KB or so.

Once all your docs are photoed and submitted they send you a letter that gets you into immigration. The letter opens the door. Get a ticket and wait until you are called up. They verify all your docs with the originals and you must submit photocopies. After that you pay $16,500 pesos for VIP service and go and get your blood and lung test.

Come back in 10 days and use your Payment Receipt to get in the door. Get a ticket and they will take your photo. Then your car pops out and you sign the registry. See you in 4 years.

My friend did not come back in 10 days, but more that 30 days. This caused a 4 hour hairball. He paid a fine of $1,000 pesos and got his photo done and his card. Nobody said anything about the fine when I asked originally. No one seemed to know there was a penalty for coming back after 30 days.

All in all not too bad of a process. Much better than before. We did this in Santo Domingo.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
Thanks ALL. we are more than 30 days out but will begin to gather the paperwork again, it sounds as if nothing is new fromlast year.  Thanks

jan

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
does anyone know of a web site where you can get your residency insurance on line with proof of insurance.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
does anyone know of a web site where you can get your residency insurance on line with proof of insurance.

Check with the insurance company you are going to use. Last year I used La Comercial de Seguros and they emailed me a copy so I could upload it on the DGM website. However, you still have to pick up the original and bring that with you to DGM.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I don't mean to be insulting, but did you look for "USA"? In Spanish it would be Estados Unidos or E.E.U.U.

janlindy

Mar 8, 2011
I tried google translate and spanish neither showed up.
will try a different insurance co.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I have a specific need about my permanent residency renewal. My residency expires April 24, 2018. I am making a trip back to the US for my 50th high school reunion the weekend before that and I want to stay at least a week afterwards, which means after my residency expires. I can't renew early enough to have a new card by the time I leave and if I wait till after I return I will not be a resident when i return, which means I might need a return airline ticket etc. HELP? Ideas...or am I worrying needlessly.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Insurance

The residency insurance is for first time applicants for a provisional residency. There is an insurance agency, La Comercial de Seguro, on calle Heroes de Luperon at the street intersections diagonally opposite the general parking area of Migracion. You can purchase a policy, make sure the company stamp, date, and vendor signature is on the original. Request the office to make a few photocopies for you. Making photocopies outside the office. you pay for the copies.

Regards,

PJT

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Believe migracion provides a 45 day window after expiration to renew. What is means is you need to manage your calendar to submit yourself and paperwork to migracion to allow you to have a residency card in hand before the end of the 45 day window.

Other posters please jump in to confirm this policy.

Regards,

PJT