Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: tourist card cost to be incorporated into airline ticket price

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    Both fees are built into the Air Canada ticket price. They hand the $10. Tourist card out to everyone on the plane. If you are a Dominican or a resident you can decline the card.
    As other posters have said Westjet does this as well. The Canadian carriers seem to be ahead of the pack on this one.
    If you are a legal resident of the DR or DR citizen, then on Air Canada you have to pay that $10 tourist card fee anyway and cannot have it deducted from the ticket price?

If so, I would say that is "behind" something rather than ahead of it.

2. Likes Riva_31, bigbird, rubio_higuey liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

All I'm saying is that the fees are built in and you can decline the tourist card if you are a resident. I guess standing in line for up to an extra hour is something some people don't mind doing.
    I on the other hand take the card and give it to someone who can better benefit from the 10.00 savings as I am a resident and don't need the card.
    Last edited by melphis; 12-05-2017 at 12:56 PM.

4. Likes sylindr liked this post
    99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

It is usually the charter flights that require passengers to pay the departure tax at a kiosk in the departure area before boarding the flight out of the country.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by melphis View Post
    All I'm saying is that the fees are built in and you can decline the tourist card if you are a resident. I guess standing in line for up to an extra hour is something some people don't mind doing.
    I on the other hand take the card and give it to someone who can better benefit from the 10.00 savings as I am a resident and don't need the card.
    You are not getting the point, that as Dominican is ilegal to be charged with the 10.00 US dollars for turist card, if is already included in the price of your ticket. Did you get the point?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default ALLELUYAH !

Awesome news !!!!!! When is it going to take effect ???

I absolutely hate having to stand on that extra line after getting off the plane. By now, I am prepared, race off the plane trying to beat the crowd, always have my $10 dollars bills carefully placed in each passport, but, for some reasons, I am always end up behind 5 persons that are confused, don't have change, etc

8. Likes USA DOC liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Last paragraph of the article states that anyone charged the 10USD that does not have to pay it (I assume legal residents/citizens) can request a reimbursement at the DGII (Direccion General de Impuestos Internos). Like I'm going to waste my gas going to Sto. Dgo. to get my 10 bucks back... As to the 20USD departure tax, last time I travelled on Sunwing they had someone collecting the money right after check-in. Didn't matter that I was a legal resident, had to pay. The other Canadian airlines include the 10USD and the 20USD in the cost of the ticket.

Reembolso

Indica que los visitantes que por disposiciones previstas en convenios sobre la base de reciprocidad no estén sujetos al pago de la tarjeta de turismo, tendrán derecho al reembolso del valor pagado por este concepto, el cual deberá requerirse ante las oficinas de la Dirección General de Impuestos Internos (DGII)

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Riva_31 View Post
    You are not getting the point, that as Dominican is ilegal to be charged with the 10.00 US dollars for turist card, if is already included in the price of your ticket. Did you get the point?
    Yes I get that point. As soon as somebody wants to point out this travesty of the sacred Dominican legal system to the proper authorities I'm sure we will see a terminology change to something original like Airport Improvement Fee 18b, Runway Sweeping Surcharge or some other ridiculous fee/ tax.
    It's 10.00 USD to get into this country and 20.00 to get out. Get over it. By the way do you know where I can find a copy of this illegal law.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    Last paragraph of the article states that anyone charged the 10USD that does not have to pay it (I assume legal residents/citizens) can request a reimbursement at the DGII (Direccion General de Impuestos Internos). Like I'm going to waste my gas going to Sto. Dgo. to get my 10 bucks back...
    DGII has offices all over DR:
    http://www.dgii.gov.do/dgii/Paginas/...cinasDGII.aspx

North Coast Moderator

12. Likes KateP liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    It's still not worth going to get $10 back.

14. Likes cavok liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    The article doesn't say how they will verify who's a Dominican citizen or a regularized foreign resident in the DR and who's a tourist.

I can only think of two possible ways and both ways requires the round trip to start somewhere abroad.

It goes without saying that anyone that buys round trip airline tickets starting in the DR is either a Dominican citizen that lives in the DR or a foreigner with regularized permanent residential status in the DR. Logically, this should imply that the person is not a tourist.

1. They will use the permanent address that you type when buying the airplane ticket. Anyone with a DR permanent address will not be charged the $10.

2. Airlines will be required to ask for cédula number and/or social security number at time of purchase and the computer will verify the residential status of the person. Those that are not Dominican citizens and/or no permanent address in the DR will be charged, everyone else will not.

But, this is speculation under the assumption that logic will be used.
    That last line is hilarious!

16. Likes windeguy liked this post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast