Delancer Cable/Atlantico - Fiber Optic Service

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The more things change the more they stay the same.

Delancer's upgrade of my neighborhood's coax cable TV/internet service is complete at least for me. I know have fiber optic cable to my house and receive my internet and cable TV programming from the same router/modem/GPON box.

The monthly internet pricing is still grossly inflated for the speeds offered compared to Claro. Wouldn't it be nice to have a choice of two companies offering the same service and competing with each other for customers?

My urbanization is not being offered a choice between the old and the new so eventually all homes will be switched over to the new system and equipment.

Everyone now gets a DR IP address by default. The option to have a US based IP address still exists, but is now a value added service to the tune of $RD 200/month. I don't do a lot of US media streaming at the moment so it was not until Amazon started telling me that they do not ship the item I'm looking for to the DR that I clued into the IP address location change.

On the plus side, TV picture is crisper and internet is not suffering packet loss anywhere near the rate as before. I am beginning to think that I will not live long enough to see Delancer offer internet speeds at a price comparable to Claro.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
In regards to your cable television, does this new Delancer configuration contain a viewable program guide and the ability to record programs as well?

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The more things change the more they stay the same.

Delancer's upgrade of my neighborhood's coax cable TV/internet service is complete at least for me. I know have fiber optic cable to my house and receive my internet and cable TV programming from the same router/modem/GPON box.

The monthly internet pricing is still grossly inflated for the speeds offered compared to Claro. Wouldn't it be nice to have a choice of two companies offering the same service and competing with each other for customers?

My urbanization is not being offered a choice between the old and the new so eventually all homes will be switched over to the new system and equipment.

Everyone now gets a DR IP address by default. The option to have a US based IP address still exists, but is now a value added service to the tune of $RD 200/month. I don't do a lot of US media streaming at the moment so it was not until Amazon started telling me that they do not ship the item I'm looking for to the DR that I clued into the IP address location change.

On the plus side, TV picture is crisper and internet is not suffering packet loss anywhere near the rate as before. I am beginning to think that I will not live long enough to see Delancer offer internet speeds at a price comparable to Claro.

Which neighbourhood?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
In regards to your cable television, does this new Delancer configuration contain a viewable program guide and the ability to record programs as well?

Ha Ha Ha good one. :)

Same TV decoder box. Signal arrives to the house on the fiber line instead of coax, TV signal is spit out by the new modem/router/GPON box on a coax wire going to the cable decoder box then to the TV. No TV guide and it is certainly is not a PVR. Maybe someday...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I saw some Delancer crews on the highway east of Perla Marina yesterday. How far east do they go until Cable Del Norte takes over?

drisforme

May 28, 2016
@cdn_gringo
"The monthly internet pricing is still grossly inflated for the speeds offered compared to Claro."

Can you share the pricing ? Delancer web-site does not provide it when Claro does.

Thank you

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Delancer 10 Mbits/s - $RD 4000

Delancer Highest offered speed $RD 17,000

Claro 40Mbits/s - $RD 3800 approx. when I had an account with them w/voip phone & 400 included minutes Canada/USA

Next time you are in paying a bill or passing by the office, just ask to see the new Internet price list. It's not pretty.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Delancer 10 Mbits/s - $RD 4000

Delancer Highest offered speed $RD 17,000

Claro 40Mbits/s - $RD 3800 approx. when I had an account with them w/voip phone & 400 included minutes Canada/USA

Next time you are in paying a bill or passing by the office, just ask to see the new Internet price list. It's not pretty.

10 mbps with Claro is 1800/month with a phone line. I'm not sure how many phone minutes I have as I don't use it. So the price between Delancer and Claro isn't even close.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Delancer charges for internet in US dollars and converts to pesos when you pay. When I arrived here three years ago, 10 Mbits/s was $250 USD per month, a little more than a year later it dropped to $200 and now its about $100. That price will get you a 1GB speeds elsewhere in the world.

Claro is clearly the better alternative if their service is available to you even with the difficulties of opening a Claro account and the sometimes necessary extra installation expenses getting Claro's cables to your house.

Delancer pricing has always been and still is completely monopolistic and predatory.

drisforme

May 28, 2016
Delancer charges for internet in US dollars and converts to pesos when you pay. When I arrived here three years ago, 10 Mbits/s was $250 USD per month, a little more than a year later it dropped to $200 and now its about $100. That price will get you a 1GB speeds elsewhere in the world.

Claro is clearly the better alternative if their service is available to you even with the difficulties of opening a Claro account and the sometimes necessary extra installation expenses getting Claro's cables to your house.

Delancer pricing has always been and still is completely monopolistic and predatory.

Thank you all ...I currently pay less than USD$50 for 100Mbit/s in NY .Certainly a change...

yea ,I went to Claro and they limit the speed to 2MB for customers who don't have residency.
Not sure why...I own my house and I already pay bills to EDENORTE for example.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
During my initial attempts to land a Claro account, I offered to pay the entire monthly costs for a year upfront, in cash...they declined.

I was eventually successful, but it reminded my of the residency process...you need this...now you need this...sorry, can't help...start all over...

I think it took three trips to Puerto Plata to get the account created (Maybe 4 if you count the initial face to face to see what I needed to do). At home, I just have to pick up the phone and I'm done and onto other things.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Trip #2 to Delancer later today. After requesting a US IP for my new Fiber connection and being told I'd have it in 24 hours, still no US IP 48 hours later. Fire TV and Alexa are not happy...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Trip #2 to Delancer later today. After requesting a US IP for my new Fiber connection and being told I'd have it in 24 hours, still no US IP 48 hours later. Fire TV and Alexa are not happy...

Give 'em hell Harry

drisforme

May 28, 2016

Not surprising. Delancer is supposed to provide fiber in my community. Have been telling me for the past 6 months every month ,either by call or by email that it will be available the next 2 to 3 weeks...

Based on this pattern to promise things they cannot deliver ,how is the service once you finally get it ?
We already know they are outrageously expensive:
-Are people getting the speed expected all the times which fiber is supposed to deliver ?
-Are they often down ?
-Were they down during the 2 recent hurricanes ?

Thank you

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006

I have exactly the same issue.  Alexa and Fire TV not happy.  We had an outage on Saturday night that was not restored until Monday afternoon, but strangely I had cable TV which now comes down the same fiberoptic pipe.  They told me that a card had burned out on one of their servers.  When it was restored I noticed that Amazon prime movies were giving me the geo lock error.  I checked my IP and it said Sosua.  I rang them the following day (Tues) and they explained that they are now charging for a US IP address.  Although only 200 pesos extra a month, I think it's steep considering I already pay 7200 per month for two tv boxes on basic channel packages and 20 mbps internet.

Still waiting for my US IP address three days later.....................

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Based on this pattern to promise things they cannot deliver ,how is the service once you finally get it ?
We already know they are outrageously expensive:
-Are people getting the speed expected all the times which fiber is supposed to deliver ?
-Are they often down ?
-Were they down during the 2 recent hurricanes ?

I get the speed I paid for both before and after the upgrade to fiber. That result can vary by community. Network congestion/lag would be more prevalent on the old coax setup in part due to the length of the cable run to your house and how may splitters are in use - Delancer loves passive splitters and for a time until I purchased my own signal booster had 4 of those signal gobblers in use.

For me, the old coax system used to go down whenever the power went out. Not anymore on the new fiber trunk. Other than that, signal would be lost when they worked on the lines or some drunk took out a pole but can't really blame Delancer for that.

Much to my surprise, no problems for me after Irma or Maria, but not the same story for everyone.

Still waiting for my US IP address three days later.....................

Me too, this afternoon has come and gone and no new IP. The keyboard lady knew exactly who I was, spouting my phone number as if from memory. She said "in the afternoon", and I said, in the afternoon, today?" and she nodded. If it's not done by late morning tomorrow, back I go and I'll stand there staring at her until she does what she needs to do. They did admit that they had quite a few of these requests to process but that is really no excuse for not doing what they promise or giving realistic estimates on when it will be done.

For about the same price I can accomplish the same thing on my own but I'm in no rush to flash my router if I don't have to.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Sounds to be like an old fashioned high noon showdown at the Delancer Corral. Spectators may want to bring along the buttered popcorn.