Pet Birds For Sale

chewy1818

Oct 26, 2017
Hi can someone tell me the advertising sites if I wanted to purchase a pet bird? I will be moving to Punta Cana in a few months and will want to purchase a pet bird.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Just checked out th:e site but nothing came out for birds :cry:

You will most likely need to go to a pet store in the DR and ask if they can direct you to one that sells birds. You may have to go to Santo Domingo to find this. There are some listings for Pet Stores in the DR and possibly you can contact one by phone.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
There is a nice pet store in Santiago on Villa Olga on Benito Juarez (I think) that had several amazons & macaws for sale.

I had Amazons, Macaws and Cockatoos for years if you have any questions.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I am curious... are some of these birds not protected ie not allowed for sale? What about iguanas? is it legal to sell them?

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
You can buy parrots outside Santiago on the road to Santo Domingo. They occasionally have trained Macaws.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
This trade is definitely illegal as the Hispaniolan parrot is a protected species.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Why not rescue an abandoned pigeon? Adoptes no compres.

It's a timeless concept even in a two year old thread.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The CITES treaty pretty much makes the trade in wild caught birds illegal. Captive hatched birds on the other hand are excluded from the treaty. Breeders need to register and band their captive birds, band and register fledglings, sell only banded/registered birds and maintain records of such sales.

Unregistered birds are not permitted to cross international borders and there is supposed to be heavy fines for those caught illegally trafficking in protected species - including pet owners who have acquired an unregistered protected pet.