Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Residencia definitiva - renewal process

Moderator - Ladies Only Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Thank you for the information. I was going to become a citizen, but the constant change of the requirements for citizenship will probably cause me to get residencia defenitiva as you did.
    I wouldn't reject citizenship out of hand. The key issues people had were 1. waiting for an Interpol report which never arrived so they ended up getting a police report from home country which is now a requirement 2. Using a lawyer who never got back to them 3. The never ending changing list of requirements.

The list of requirements I cannot see changing much more as it is pretty long, but it is very clear, and over the last couple of months people who have been waiting years have now become citizens. Those present at my swearing in August had taken from 4-6 months to get their citizenship. In addition apart from the provision of the papers - many of which are needed for residency anyway - the cost is around US$200 and it is a one off payment - even your cedula is free. There are not many visits to Santo Domingo - one to hand papers in, one for interview and one for swearing in and that is it. I can't remember how much a definitiva residency is - but methinks not cheap.

Matilda

Moderator Ladies Only Forum
    www.DR1.com

2. Likes SantiagoDR liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Uploaded the originals, deposited everything in the list. That's what happens when you write too fast. Sounds fine as you type but doesn't make sense to everyone else lol

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

4. Likes SantiagoDR liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing I should mention, by "definitiva" it doesn't mean you don't have to renew. Of course they wouldn't make it that simple. Card's valid for 5 years. And I haven't seen anywhere how to renew it. Fingers crossed that it'll be much much simpler...

6. Likes SantiagoDR liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Matilda View Post
    I wouldn't reject citizenship out of hand. The key issues people had were 1. waiting for an Interpol report which never arrived so they ended up getting a police report from home country which is now a requirement 2. Using a lawyer who never got back to them 3. The never ending changing list of requirements.

The list of requirements I cannot see changing much more as it is pretty long, but it is very clear, and over the last couple of months people who have been waiting years have now become citizens. Those present at my swearing in August had taken from 4-6 months to get their citizenship. In addition apart from the provision of the papers - many of which are needed for residency anyway - the cost is around US$200 and it is a one off payment - even your cedula is free. There are not many visits to Santo Domingo - one to hand papers in, one for interview and one for swearing in and that is it. I can't remember how much a definitiva residency is - but methinks not cheap.

Matilda
    Matida, I will take it under advisement.

What police report is necessary and sufficient from the US in lieu of the never coming Interpol report?

The thing I found ridiculous to get, by the way, was a birth certificate apostilled in NY State. (not a NY City birth certificate, an upstate NY one: go to county, wait, go to Albany, wait etc...). The process for getting one must have been conceived by a Dominican. I wrote about this procedure in another thread and it is most ludicrous.
    Last edited by windeguy; 12-12-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Well not being American I can't really help. In the UK it is a police report which says you are clean. it can all be done on line, including the apostille and they just fedex it to you. It is the same process for apostilled birth cert - all done on line. Is it the FBI report in the US? Not sure you can blame the Dominicans for the American system lol. Don't you need an apostilled birth cert for residency? Maybe some service like this one? https://apostilla.com/product/online...iAAEgLcHfD_BwE

Matilda

www.DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KateP View Post
    Another thing I should mention, by "definitiva" it doesn't mean you don't have to renew. Of course they wouldn't make it that simple. Card's valid for 5 years. And I haven't seen anywhere how to renew it. Fingers crossed that it'll be much much simpler...

Oh, to be sure there is nothing permanent or definite about residency here regardless of what it is called.

So they are back to only 5 years maximum on a renewal, or is there a longer renewal period available for more pesos?

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm this is what it says on website

RESIDENCIA DEFINITIVA POR UN PERÍODO DEFINIDO. CARNET DE RESIDENCIA DEFINITIVA COLOR MORADO, VÁLIDO POR 10 AÑOS.

www.DR1.com

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm this is what it says on website

RESIDENCIA DEFINITIVA POR UN PERÍODO DEFINIDO. CARNET DE RESIDENCIA DEFINITIVA COLOR MORADO, VÁLIDO POR 10 AÑOS.
    LOL When I checked a few months back it said 5 years. If it's 10 then I'm more than happy to go to SD!

Added: Just logged back in on Migracion's site and at the bottom of the list of requirements it has the costs and this is where it mentions the 5 years:

SOLICITUD DE RESIDENCIA DEFINITIVA

RD$ 20,000.00

ACTUALIZACIÓN CARNET DE RESIDENCIA (5 AÑOS)

RD $ 2,500.00

RECIBO O CONSTANCIA DE PÉRDIDA DE DOCUMENTOS (HOJA DE DEPÓSITO O RECIBO EXAMEN MÉDICO)

RD$ 500.00

Guess I'll know on Monday which info is right. Fingers crossed on the 10 years!
    Last edited by KateP; 12-12-2017 at 01:10 PM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Well not being American I can't really help. In the UK it is a police report which says you are clean. it can all be done on line, including the apostille and they just fedex it to you. It is the same process for apostilled birth cert - all done on line. Is it the FBI report in the US? Not sure you can blame the Dominicans for the American system lol. Don't you need an apostilled birth cert for residency? Maybe some service like this one? https://apostilla.com/product/online...iAAEgLcHfD_BwE

Matilda
    Regarding the birth certificate. The answer I have gotten from the service that provides NY State birth certificates is that they do not provide Apostilled birth certificates from NY State. I would have to go to the county clerk, ask for one that can be apostilled and wait , perhaps several days for it. Then it would have to go to the NY State office in Albany that takes care of the apostille, and wait. They might be able to send it to me, but as I recall they only use regular US mail... My joke was that the thought process was similar to the ones in the DR when it comes to birth certificates.

I have no idea what police report would work from the US.
    Last edited by windeguy; 12-12-2017 at 01:16 PM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Matilda
    https://apostilla.com/product/online...-united-states

The above web site does not have an option for getting a birth certificate apostilled in the USA. Probably for the reasons I mentioned on what it takes to do so. I have to appear in person at the county clerk's office to start the procedure in upstate NY.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast