Residencia definitiva - renewal process

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I was asked a while back to give an update when I finally applied for my residencia definitiva, so here it is.

First off, to qualify for the definitiva you have to have had your residencia permanente for at least 10 years. Secondly, you have to request the change of category, it doesn't happen automatically. I had to write up a letter for the Director General de Migración asking for a change of migratory category from permanente to definitiva and I was lucky enough that the Punta Cana office was willing to send it to Santo Domingo so I didn't have to do the trip. While my request was being processed, instructions apparently came through that satellite office could no longer do this so I would guess people now need to deposit the letter in Santo Domingo and pick up the confirmation a few weeks later. Took a while for mine to come back so by the time it did, I was already expired (but at least it saved me 2 extra trips to SD).

After creating an account, I uploaded the following documents to their system and 2 days letter got a message back saying I could deposit the originals at the Punta Cana office:

1) 3 copies of my passport picture page
2) Original + 3 copies of my residency card
3) 3 copies of my cedula
4) Original + 2 copies of the confirmation letter from the Director de Migración
5) 3 copies of my car matricula (this is the proof of solvency, other options are accepted such as bank statement, property title, guarantor, etc)
6) Pictures front and right side
7) Certificación de no antecedentes penales - got this off the JCE website, paid online, piece of cake

No medical and no insurance in case of deportation so at least it does get a bit simpler the longer you're here.

Yesterday I went to deposit the documents and everything was in order but ended up withdrawing the documents to go do it in Santo Domingo after all. Normal process is you upload, a few days later you can deposit, 3-4 business days later you get the bill that you go pay at the office in cash then about 8 days later you have to go to Santo Domingo on the stipulated date and time to get picture and prints done and withdraw your card. I was not going to be able to go to Santo Domingo by then due to my job (if you don't go, they charge you a penalty and reprogram you) so the assistant told me that since I already had the go-ahead to deposit, I could simply take the paperwork to Santo Domingo and get all that done (deposit, pay and get card) in one day with the 1,000 pesos VIP payment. So I'll be heading down to the wonderful capital in a few days to hopefully complete the process then I'll renew my cedula when I'm back in Punta Cana and driver's licence in January when it expires. At least then I'll be good for a few years...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thank you for the information. I was going to become a citizen, but the constant change of the requirements for citizenship will probably cause me to get residencia defenitiva as you did.

How ridiculous that the satellite office cannot handle everything and that one (or more) trip(s) to Santo Domingo is still needed. What idiots. Perhaps someday they will figure out how to network computers.

Does not your cedula not have the same expiration date as your residency?

There was only one place that a cedula for residents be done and that was in Santo Domingo. Did that change?

At least I was able to renew my residency and get a new cedula the same day the last time I renewed.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Does not your cedula not have the same expiration date as your residency?

There was only one place that a cedula for residents be done and that was in Santo Domingo. Did that change?

Yep, cedula is expired too but they confirmed I can renew it in Punta Cana and I work just minutes from the Junta Central office. I also have other things to do in SD and want to get the heck out of there as early as possible so I'll just wait til I get back to do it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Interesting. It used to be that the one and only place for cedula renewal was Santo Domingo.
I wonder if cedulas can also be renewed for residency in Puerto Plata?

From your description it appears that one trip is needed to Santo Domingo to deposit the request for Residencia Definitiva and another trip to physically pick up the letter granting that permission? Ridiculous. But it is what it is. Then another trip to Santo Domingo is necessary just to get your picture taken and residency card printed at the Migracion office. So a minimum of three trips to Santo Domingo plus getting a new cedula where possible, if I understand correctly.

Big Friendly

Aug 1, 2017
Hi KateP

I have been checking the JCE website

http://jce.gob.do/

I cant't seem to find the page for

7) Certificación de no antecedentes penales - got this off the JCE website, paid online, piece of cake

Can you please post the link?

Thanks

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Paid on-line, so I assume one needs a credit card.
No option to pay at BanReserve?

Not happy about that!

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Paid on-line, so I assume one needs a credit card.
No option to pay at BanReserve?

Not happy about that!
You can pay at Banreserva and just put the number on the receipt in. I did exactly that a few weeks ago.

Matilda

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Another silly question (Nothing is silly dealing with the D.R. government, it´s all normal).

When you say

After creating an account, I uploaded the following documents to their system and 2 days letter got a message back saying I could deposit the originals at the Punta Cana office:

1) 3 copies of my passport picture page
2) Original + 3 copies of my residency card
3) 3 copies of my cedula
4) Original + 2 copies of the confirmation letter from the Director de Migración
5) 3 copies of my car matricula (this is the proof of solvency, other options are accepted such as bank statement, property title, guarantor, etc)
6) Pictures front and right side

Did you just upload ONE(1) copy or three? :laugh:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thank you for the information. I was going to become a citizen, but the constant change of the requirements for citizenship will probably cause me to get residencia defenitiva as you did.

I wouldn't reject citizenship out of hand. The key issues people had were 1. waiting for an Interpol report which never arrived so they ended up getting a police report from home country which is now a requirement 2. Using a lawyer who never got back to them 3. The never ending changing list of requirements.

The list of requirements I cannot see changing much more as it is pretty long, but it is very clear, and over the last couple of months people who have been waiting years have now become citizens. Those present at my swearing in August had taken from 4-6 months to get their citizenship. In addition apart from the provision of the papers - many of which are needed for residency anyway - the cost is around US$200 and it is a one off payment - even your cedula is free. There are not many visits to Santo Domingo - one to hand papers in, one for interview and one for swearing in and that is it. I can't remember how much a definitiva residency is - but methinks not cheap.

Matilda

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Uploaded the originals, deposited everything in the list. That's what happens when you write too fast. Sounds fine as you type but doesn't make sense to everyone else lol

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Another thing I should mention, by "definitiva" it doesn't mean you don't have to renew. Of course they wouldn't make it that simple. Card's valid for 5 years. And I haven't seen anywhere how to renew it. Fingers crossed that it'll be much much simpler...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I wouldn't reject citizenship out of hand. The key issues people had were 1. waiting for an Interpol report which never arrived so they ended up getting a police report from home country which is now a requirement 2. Using a lawyer who never got back to them 3. The never ending changing list of requirements.

The list of requirements I cannot see changing much more as it is pretty long, but it is very clear, and over the last couple of months people who have been waiting years have now become citizens. Those present at my swearing in August had taken from 4-6 months to get their citizenship. In addition apart from the provision of the papers - many of which are needed for residency anyway - the cost is around US$200 and it is a one off payment - even your cedula is free. There are not many visits to Santo Domingo - one to hand papers in, one for interview and one for swearing in and that is it. I can't remember how much a definitiva residency is - but methinks not cheap.

Matilda

Matida, I will take it under advisement. :laugh:

What police report is necessary and sufficient from the US in lieu of the never coming Interpol report?

The thing I found ridiculous to get, by the way, was a birth certificate apostilled in NY State. (not a NY City birth certificate, an upstate NY one: go to county, wait, go to Albany, wait etc...). The process for getting one must have been conceived by a Dominican. I wrote about this procedure in another thread and it is most ludicrous.

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Well not being American I can't really help. In the UK it is a police report which says you are clean. it can all be done on line, including the apostille and they just fedex it to you. It is the same process for apostilled birth cert - all done on line. Is it the FBI report in the US? Not sure you can blame the Dominicans for the American system lol. Don't you need an apostilled birth cert for residency? Maybe some service like this one? https://apostilla.com/product/onlin...MI69_0uPOE2AIVybfACh2dmAFFEAAYAiAAEgLcHfD_BwE

Matilda

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Another thing I should mention, by "definitiva" it doesn't mean you don't have to renew. Of course they wouldn't make it that simple. Card's valid for 5 years. And I haven't seen anywhere how to renew it. Fingers crossed that it'll be much much simpler...

Oh, to be sure there is nothing permanent or definite about residency here regardless of what it is called.

So they are back to only 5 years maximum on a renewal, or is there a longer renewal period available for more pesos?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Hmm this is what it says on website

RESIDENCIA DEFINITIVA POR UN PERÍODO DEFINIDO. CARNET DE RESIDENCIA DEFINITIVA COLOR MORADO, VÁLIDO POR 10 AÑOS.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Hmm this is what it says on website

RESIDENCIA DEFINITIVA POR UN PERÍODO DEFINIDO. CARNET DE RESIDENCIA DEFINITIVA COLOR MORADO, VÁLIDO POR 10 AÑOS.

LOL When I checked a few months back it said 5 years. If it's 10 then I'm more than happy to go to SD!

Added: Just logged back in on Migracion's site and at the bottom of the list of requirements it has the costs and this is where it mentions the 5 years:

SOLICITUD DE RESIDENCIA DEFINITIVA

RD$ 20,000.00

ACTUALIZACIÓN CARNET DE RESIDENCIA (5 AÑOS)

RD $ 2,500.00

RECIBO O CONSTANCIA DE PÉRDIDA DE DOCUMENTOS (HOJA DE DEPÓSITO O RECIBO EXAMEN MÉDICO)

RD$ 500.00

Guess I'll know on Monday which info is right. Fingers crossed on the 10 years!

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Well not being American I can't really help. In the UK it is a police report which says you are clean. it can all be done on line, including the apostille and they just fedex it to you. It is the same process for apostilled birth cert - all done on line. Is it the FBI report in the US? Not sure you can blame the Dominicans for the American system lol. Don't you need an apostilled birth cert for residency? Maybe some service like this one? https://apostilla.com/product/onlin...MI69_0uPOE2AIVybfACh2dmAFFEAAYAiAAEgLcHfD_BwE

Matilda

Regarding the birth certificate. The answer I have gotten from the service that provides NY State birth certificates is that they do not provide Apostilled birth certificates from NY State. I would have to go to the county clerk, ask for one that can be apostilled and wait , perhaps several days for it. Then it would have to go to the NY State office in Albany that takes care of the apostille, and wait. They might be able to send it to me, but as I recall they only use regular US mail... My joke was that the thought process was similar to the ones in the DR when it comes to birth certificates.

I have no idea what police report would work from the US.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Matilda

https://apostilla.com/product/online-background-check-united-states

The above web site does not have an option for getting a birth certificate apostilled in the USA. Probably for the reasons I mentioned on what it takes to do so. I have to appear in person at the county clerk's office to start the procedure in upstate NY.