Papers US Citizen getting married in the DR.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Sorry, if this is an FAQ as I know that this has been asked before. However, what papers do I need to get married in the DR?

Also, any hints for where/how to get them and if they need translation and to be apostilled? I'm in the Tampa Florida area.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Sorry, if this is an FAQ as I know that this has been asked before. However, what papers do I need to get married in the DR?

Also, any hints for where/how to get them and if they need translation and to be apostilled? I'm in the Tampa Florida area.

When I got married here 3 years ago I had to get an apostilled birth certificate and apostiled divorce certificate. I don't remember needing any translation, but I had a local lawyer handling paperwork here for around $200 and he might have done it(?).

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Thanks.

I had to think hard when I read "death cert". I assume that is for a deceased spouse.

I didn't know there was a divorce certificate. I'll order two and frame the second one. That woman is the anti-christ.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Yes deceased spouse and yes you need divorce cert for previous wife (wives). You can get them apostilled there and translation here which is much cheaper like RD$800 to RD$1000 a page. Remember the translation needs to be legalised at the procuraduria and you need to be here a few days before the wedding so allow time.

Matilda

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Yes deceased spouse and yes you need divorce cert for previous wife (wives). You can get them apostilled there and translation here which is much cheaper like RD$800 to RD$1000 a page. Remember the translation needs to be legalised at the procuraduria and you need to be here a few days before the wedding so allow time.

Matilda

....I got all the info for my marriage from the Dominican embassy in chicago....ask for Dianne at embassy, she makes it easy......Doc........

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...ohh yea about the cost of the embassy doing the paperwork....I called 3 in the USA.... the one in california wanted about 10 times what Dianne in Chicago charged me... total amount was about $150 US.........Doc......

suarezj519

May 14, 2014

First off, congrats. I believe I also saw your post in the bringing dominicans to the US website if I'm not mistaken. I had questions myself on there. I just got married last month but as I have Dominican citizenship it was much faster and cheaper for me. For us citizen you need all documents stated translated and apostilled, also I believe à letter stating your single status (what I've heard) and I believe depending on how you're getting married, for example just getting married in the junta it'll be around 8 - 12k for just us citizens I believe. After you get married you need to pay a small fee for your certificate and take the paper to a large junta such as SD, SFM, Santiago, etc. to get your legalized marriage certificate , which you need to take with you back to the US and get translated and legalized there, then you can begin visa process. I was told this by a lawyer here and I will be starting the process hopefully soon.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
When you get the marriage cert remember to get lots as you will need lots and many places keep them. You need the in extensa version not the extracta de acta, which is the long full version. Make sure you have it apostilled before you take it back to the US or it is not valid there. You can have it translated here or there but it must be apostilled here first to prove is a legal Dominican document.

matilda

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
When you get married, the details will be entered in writing into the book of marriages, you need to ask when it will be in the system and when it is you can extract a copy of your marriage cert from any Registro Civil in the country, not just a large one. Some places put the info into the system on the same day - but not all so you need to check this.

Matilda