Nacional vs Super Pola/Jumbo

Pancake

Nov 17, 2015
What is the major differences between the Nacional near the Punta Cana airport and either of Super Pola or Jumbo closer to Cortecito?

Does Nacional have a better selection/variety of goods? Are there significant price differences?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Nacional and Jumbo are of the same company (CCN). Jumbo typically has a broader assortment, Nacional is slightly more expensive. Super Pola is Grupo Ramos (also own La Sirena). I prefer CCN and Jumbo over Pola.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Nacional has more imported goods that foreigners look for. Also they clearly have the best meat in the area. Angus beef. You can have the guy get a fresh slab from the back and he will cut it to order and trim the fat. Small propina helps.

Jumbo has better fruit and vegetables, go on Wed. for a discount.

And if you are buying liquor and wine there is only one place to go. Liquormart on the main hwy just past the light heading towards Fruisa. You won't find a larger selection and better prices anywhere.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

And if you are buying liquor and wine there is only one place to go. Liquormart on the main hwy just past the light heading towards Fruisa. You won't find a larger selection and better prices anywhere.

But do they have "Plum Wine"?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I stopped going to Pola a long time ago. Leaky roof, rotten food smell, small aisles that get blocked up as soon as someone stops, etc, not worth it when there are better options close-by. Normally I do my groceries at Nacional because I like the selection and it's usually less busy than Jumbo but if I need something else that I know they don't have, I'll go to Jumbo.

Pancake

Nov 17, 2015
Great replies, thank you. How about beer? Is there a place with better prices than the grocery stores?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Great replies, thank you. How about beer? Is there a place with better prices than the grocery stores?

Liquormart sells beer also. There is nothing in that store that is not cheaper than any grocery store.