New Flight - Puerto Plata to Charlotte NC?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I am looking for flights to New Orleans from Puerto Plata and fully expected to see options only through Miami. Imagine my surprise when the flights went directly to Charlotte instead? This for next spring. Anyone aware of this major route change?

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
Yes, but I was looking at American Airline flights! The connection back is too short (only 36 min) so I'd have to fly back through Miami. Flying into Charlotte is very appealing :)

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Think its only once a week (Sat), I've used it a few times from LA (get to POP a few hours earlier).  Sometimes a great first class fare, but be warned it does not (first class) get you into the Admirals Club (as you do if you go through Mia). 

singletravel

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
Yes. It's only (or was) Saturday on AA. It's been available for several years now. Nice option even though limited flights

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I wish there were more options to avoid Miami. A more wretched airport only exists in the Sudan

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Major hub... largest domestic hub for USAirways - now United

PHL is the int'l hub for them

I believe you ment to say “ now American Airlines” ? That’s who U.S.Airlines merged with. 

United merged with Continental a few years ago and kept the “United” name.

A few years before that, Northwest merged with Delta.

A few years before that, I merged with Mrs. Timotero (but that merger didn’t last). (;-) 

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Right....

my mistake..... and PHL is my home airport...dunce=me

and explains why the OP flies thru Charlotte on AA

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I believe you ment to say “ now American Airlines” ? That’s who U.S.Airlines merged with. 

United merged with Continental a few years ago and kept the “United” name.

A few years before that, Northwest merged with Delta.

A few years before that, I merged with Mrs. Timotero (but that merger didn’t last). (;-) 

Were you grounded and turned away at the gate.

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
I am checking for April and as of now it's through Charlotte on a Wednesday. I won't buy yet but I'm thinking of going Business Class. It's 400 dollars more but that's 920 versus 1320 ...doesn't sound so bad. But I'm not sure if it will be better seating or now...says maybe not all classes on all legs. But I do get to check two bags at no extra charge! :)

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Were you grounded and turned away at the gate.

Lol. Nope! And it wasn’t due to a “mechanical failure” either! We just realized we had exceeded the “maximum flight time” and needed a mandatory “crew rest period”. 

And guess where we spent our honeymoon oh those many years ago? Playa Dorado. ( I believe the peso: dollar was about 12:1 back then?) 

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Lol. Nope! And it wasn’t due to a “mechanical failure” either! We just realized we had exceeded the “maximum flight time” and needed a mandatory “crew rest period”. 

And guess where we spent our honeymoon oh those many years ago? Playa Dorado. ( I believe the peso: dollar was about 12:1 back then?) 
No Mechanical failure - Good Comeback -
Just checking to make sure there was no issue with your "Vertical Stabilizer" .

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
WE just booked a flight for friends from Charlotte to Puerto Plata on AA for Friday April 27th. We have used this route in the past for the last couple of years.

BobK