The dangerous situation exiting Super Pola

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Crossroads near Sosúa more dangerous
The crossroad opposite Supermercado Playero seems safe with good functioning traffic lights. It is said that Playero funded these lights, so many appreciation and thanks. The traffic has increased substantially in recent years on the gateway to Puerto Plata. Therefore, the number of traffic accidents has increased dramatically on this road. At the intersection near Supermercado Pola and the crossroads to Mulata it is around 9, 12 and 5 o'clock so busy, crossing or joining traffic has become a very daring venture down that road. Especially the fast moving motorcycles, which you often do not see coming, ensure life-threatening situations. Visitors to Super Pola now hope that Super Pola is concerned about the safety of its customers and road safety at this dangerous intersection.

Super Pola should also invest in a safe road crossing, just like Playero. This then ensures that the (potential) customers for Super Pola safely reach and leave the supermarket.

http://www.sosuanews.com/index.php?id=5020&article=1

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Turn right, leaving Super Pola parking lot and go through the mid town streets till you find a safer intersection to get back on the main road

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I’ve found that a big problem there is after you make a left out of the parking lot and your waiting to turn left onto the main road/highway, impatient drivers behind you will pull up alongside you on (sometimes) both sides rather than wait their turn in line.  That blocks your view of the highway traffic and makes that turn even more dangerous. 

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I’ve found that a big problem there is after you make a left out of the parking lot and your waiting to turn left onto the main road/highway, impatient drivers behind you will pull up alongside you on (sometimes) both sides rather than wait their turn in line.  That blocks your view of the highway traffic and makes that turn even more dangerous. 

Welcome to the Rules of Road - DR style. If you come here with road rage you better lose it fast

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
It is tricky. A light would help some but how many of the motorbikes obey the lights? Still a dangerous situation at many lights. I have adopted the "right turns only" driving as much as possible. With all the one-way streets in Sosua (going the wrong way) it is not easy but would rather drive further and be safer then trying to make a left turn with; as pointed out, others pulling right next to you blocking the view for a cross traffic left turn.

Most likely adding a little distance going around saves time. My blood pressure stays lower too. :)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Making a right turn is no guarantee of safety, although at the Super Pola T-intersection a right turn is much safer.

Motos will often attempt to pass you on the right and T-bone you anyway.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Making a right turn is no guarantee of safety, although at the Super Pola T-intersection a right turn is much safer.

Motos will often attempt to pass you on the right and T-bone you anyway.

and with your luck and how potholes stalk you................... guess what you will have added to your dilemma? lol

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Look up how many $$$ UPS & FEDEX save by incorporating right hands into their schedule....HUGE!!!

I read that article too. Makes a lot of sense and saves time and $. I'll bet that they KNOW where all the potholes are. Even here in the D.R. ;-)

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Need a 4x4 to get over the rough road surface just at the entrance of Pola car park.  It's single file traffic now.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
One out of 100 people will do this. Or maybe fewer.

I've had a few close calls at that intersection. I decided a while ago that I will not rush around while in the DR. That means no "rushing" to pull out when you have a small window of opportunity at an intersection. Cause as soon as you do something falls out of the sky and you're slamming on the brakes. It's just not worth it.

In the states I can leave the house and get 10 things accomplished in a half day. In the DR, I leave the house with one thing to get done. If by chance I get two things done, I go home and celebrate.

It is what it is.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I've had a few close calls at that intersection. I decided a while ago that I will not rush around while in the DR. That means no "rushing" to pull out when you have a small window of opportunity at an intersection. Cause as soon as you do something falls out of the sky and you're slamming on the brakes. It's just not worth it.

In the states I can leave the house and get 10 things accomplished in a half day. In the DR, I leave the house with one thing to get done. If by chance I get two things done, I go home and celebrate.

It is what it is.

I spend all day looking for Plumbers Putty once - still never found it

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I've spent more than that looking for a left handed screwdriver........

They have never heard of them here

William I think you may have been tipping screwdrivers with your left hand.
But on a serious note I also can not find Blinker Fluid here either.
[video=youtube;E6GsXhBb10k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6GsXhBb10k[/video].

But seriously Plumber's Putty is a real thing