Robbed on Pedro Clisante

Status
Not open for further replies.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My friend was robbed today in Sosua on the sidewalk on Pedro Clisante by two men on a moto.
She and her friend were walking and hit quick & stripped of their purses. She lost ~ 10 mil pesos - her residency card, drivers license and cedula, but luckily her passport was in the house.
Yeah it was only a small amount of money some inexpensive purses but the hassle to replace the documents is major (She filed a police report along with the other woman and maybe the documents will be found) -
This is the 3rd friend of mine whose been robbed by Sosua thugs in the last year.
My friend at least had her cell phone en her pants pocket but her friend lost her phone too. At some point the Police (if indeed they aren't in on it) need to need to clean the streets of these roaming vermin en Sosua.
I'm debating confronting the two guys because we think we know who they are. Maybe not a great idea ?

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Every time i think about taking a weekend  trip to this place i here another story like this.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My friend was robbed today in Sosua on the sidewalk on Pedro Clisante by two men on a moto.
She and her friend were walking and hit quick & stripped of their purses. She lost ~ 10 mil pesos - her residency card, drivers license and cedula, but luckily her passport was in the house.
Yeah it was only a small amount of money some inexpensive purses but the hassle to replace the documents is major (She filed a police report along with the other woman and maybe the documents will be found) -
This is the 3rd friend of mine whose been robbed by Sosua thugs in the last year.
My friend at least had her cell phone en her pants pocket but her friend lost her phone too. At some point the Police (if indeed they aren't in on it) need to need to clean the streets of these roaming vermin en Sosua.
I'm debating confronting the two guys because we think we know who they are. Maybe not a great idea ?

forget the self help route...pay a cop to do some work.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Leave Sosua. It needs to be cleaned up.
Her friend lost her cell phone and a little more than 10 mil. I don't know the friend but I'm sure this was their Christmas money. Sorry for them but hey this is the Sosua that has become a sewer and home for every low life on the North Coast because the police tolerate this crap.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

I would not confront them. These guys all know each other.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Confronting the two individuals is not a wise decision. Relay your suspicions to the local authorities.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Do you know the details?
Snatch and grab, strong arm? What time of day, night? If you could post a few details it might give us and idea of what behaviors to avoid.

Usually PC has a good police presence.
I think the cops are doing all they can to stop this sort of crime.
Any area in the DR with bars and tourists attracts criminals.
Not necessary to bash the town over something like this. It happens. Glad no one got hurt.

jstarebel

Silver
Oct 4, 2013

what is in bold would depend upon who YOU are.. I noticed that there were many PN motos on PC this evening walking back to the villa..

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Do you know the details?
Snatch and grab, strong arm? What time of day, night? If you could post a few details it might give us and idea of what behaviors to avoid.

Usually PC has a good police presence.
I think the cops are doing all they can to stop this sort of crime.
Any area in the DR with bars and tourists attracts criminals.
Not necessary to bash the town over something like this. It happens. Glad no one got hurt.

1:15 PM - Snatch and Grab, apparently it was near 5 Estrellas - I just got bits of the conversation when she texted me as she seemed pretty upset. I have seen several attacks on women on PC by Cestur, jealousy fights and one time a couple young boys failed trying to purse snatch an older woman near Jolly Roger.

There are police but apparently not enough and really you are the 1st one I have heard who say the PN are doing all they can - or are themselves not part of a some of the thefts ? Maybe more undercover would help this cause. These were both Dominican women but I have some Gringo male friends who've relayed stories where they say they experienced robbery attempts in Sosua over the years.

Too bad it spoils it for everyone. I'm sure there are many on DR1 who have lived here longer than me with their own stories and tips (like always watch out for two guys going slow on a moto).

I'll be in the states for Christmas - so I will get a break from Sosua.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Only meant that the police are under paid, under equipped, under manned and poorly trained.
Fast crimes of opportunity like this are hard to eliminate.

Use of undercover and decoy policewomen would be a good first step.

I was victimized a few years ago in a street atm that kept my credit card.
The bank manager told me that they had good clear video of the thieves and turned it over to the police but the police never did anything.

If I was a female in the DR, at the least, I would carry mace in a fast hand ready position during vulnerable times.
If you practice a little it is very effective.
Two up on a moto is time to be alert.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
1:15 PM - Snatch and Grab, apparently it was near 5 Estrellas - I just got bits of the conversation when she texted me as she seemed pretty upset. I have seen several attacks on women on PC by Cestur, jealousy fights and one time a couple young boys failed trying to purse snatch an older woman near Jolly Roger.

There are police but apparently not enough and really you are the 1st one I have heard who say the PN are doing all they can - or are themselves not part of a some of the thefts ? Maybe more undercover would help this cause. These were both Dominican women but I have some Gringo male friends who've relayed stories where they say they experienced robbery attempts in Sosua over the years.

Too bad it spoils it for everyone. I'm sure there are many on DR1 who have lived here longer than me with their own stories and tips (like always watch out for two guys going slow on a moto).

I'll be in the states for Christmas - so I will get a break from Sosua.

Are you saying that both Dominican women were carrying $10,000 pesos each in their purses when they were robbed on the sidewalk at 1pm?

I assume they were walking down the sidewalk, and not in the middle of the street on Pedro Clisante where there is tons of traffic? That would mean someone ran up to them on the sidewalk and grabbed both purses, and then jumped back on the bike? i assume they screamed very loud, which means there would be other witnesses to the crime. Pedro Clisante is very busy, and traffic is everywhere throughout the afternoon.

1.) Was the amount stolen $20,000 between the two?

2.) Did you see the police report?

I'd like to hear more details.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Are you saying that both Dominican women were carrying $10,000 pesos each in their purses when they were robbed on the sidewalk at 1pm?

I assume they were walking down the sidewalk, and not in the middle of the street on Pedro Clisante where there is tons of traffic? That would mean someone ran up to them on the sidewalk and grabbed both purses, and then jumped back on the bike? i assume they screamed very loud, which means there would be other witnesses to the crime. Pedro Clisante is very busy, and traffic is everywhere throughout the afternoon.

1.) Was the amount stolen $20,000 between the two?

2.) Did you see the police report?

I'd like to hear more details.

I can only go by what I was told Frank, but yes she texted me part of the report, a cut off snapshot of her police report, sent by text (the report did not mention the amount of money she lost & I didn't see her friend's report). She said her friend actually had a little more than $10K.
I asked some of the same questions.
I do know my friend had been saving for a Christmas dinner and a gift for her daughter. (Why she had it in her purse yesterday I can't tell you).
I am not sure they screamed, I would assume so - but she just said it was two guys on a scooter and one got off, grabbed their purses and jumped back on and fled.
There might be more to it that she told me - but she seemed more upset about her lost IDs than the money and I tried not to pry.
I feel sorry for her, she is a young single mother and if she really did lose 10,000 pesos, that represents a fortune to her and I'm sure her Christmas is now likely ruined.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
In the 'old days'...

Women in NYC wore the purse with a strap across their shoulder/chest , under their coat
to avoid theft

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
This stuff is nothing new. I know 4 people who have either been pick pocketed or mugged on PC over the years. It's a really bad idea to carry money like that anywhere in the DR. People are watching.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Where is 5 Estrellas? 
Unfortunately, wearing purses makes one vulnerable and a target.
Hear reports of this type of grab in Cabarete at night but not during the day and up to now rare in Sosua.
Best to use pockets and be aware of surroundings.  
Don't often see 2 guys on a moto. 

Status
Not open for further replies.