Las Galeras - Constanza

Burt0n21

Dec 16, 2017
Hey guys,

me and my girlfriend will be meeting in the Dom. Rep. for two weeks of holidays together. We'll be coming from Cabarete and want to stay 3 nights in Las Galeras. Afterwards we would like to go to Constanza in the mountains.
I've found a little travel info about how to get there from Las Galeras and wanted to ask you guys if that seems possible.
We're both experienced backpackers, are up for any kind of transport and it doesn't has to be fancy ;) My girlfriend is from Chile so we've got one native spanish speaker on board here :)

Thank in advance for any help!

Max & Fernanda

Burt0n21

Dec 16, 2017
I am a little confused, tried to link a picture of the schedule I've found but I get an error...

New posts are limited by number of URLs it may contain and checked if it doesn't contain forbidden words.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am a little confused, tried to link a picture of the schedule I've found but I get an error...

It’s because of an anti-spam mechanism that’s in place until you have 10 or so posts.  Until then you can’t post links or pics, sorry.  Nothing personal. :)

Others will chime in regarding routes, it’s quite a hike from Las Galeras to Constanza. 

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There are buses from Las Terrenas/Samana to Santiago so I think that would be stage one but get off in La Vega which is before Santiago. As you are back packers I suggest you go and stay in a great hostel in Las Terrenas the night before - Dan and Manty's Guesthouse and Hostel. There are around 4 buses a day from LT to Santiago and the trip is 4 hours to la Vega and costs RD$325. From La Vega you can get a bus to Constanza and according to this bus timetable site http://horariodebuses.com/ES/do/index.php there is one to Constanza from La Vega at 11.40 taking 2 hours to Constanza. The first bus from LT to la Vega/Santiagoleaves at 6am.

Matilda

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Personally , since you are experienced packpakers I would take the bus to La Vega or Santiago, then guagua to Jarabacoa, which are airconditioned. Then I would take the guaguas from Jarabacoa to Constanza. Most are pickups and you ride in the back, which allows to to get great views and photos. The road from Jarabacoa to Constanza is spectacular.

Burt0n21

Dec 16, 2017
There are buses from Las Terrenas/Samana to Santiago so I think that would be stage one but get off in La Vega which is before Santiago. As you are back packers I suggest you go and stay in a great hostel in Las Terrenas the night before - Dan and Manty's Guesthouse and Hostel. There are around 4 buses a day from LT to Santiago and the trip is 4 hours to la Vega and costs RD$325. From La Vega you can get a bus to Constanza and according to this bus timetable site .... there is one to Constanza from La Vega at 11.40 taking 2 hours to Constanza. The first bus from LT to la Vega/Santiagoleaves at 6am.

Matilda

Thanks a lot Matilda, that was the homepage I've found as well. Good to know you guys use it too :)

Personally , since you are experienced packpakers I would take the bus to La Vega or Santiago, then guagua to Jarabacoa, which are airconditioned. Then I would take the guaguas from Jarabacoa to Constanza. Most are pickups and you ride in the back, which allows to to get great views and photos. The road from Jarabacoa to Constanza is spectacular.

Thank you too Bob, sounds like a nice little adventure, we'll definitely do that.

I’d consider going all the way south to Santo Domingo and then to Constanza 

And thanks to you Mauricio. Good to know that it's doable, we're excited about February ;)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Two of my favourite spots in the DR. Have a great time, come back and let us know how you fared.