Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bulgarians Caught Cloning Credit Cards at La Sirena

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Bulgarians Caught Cloning Credit Cards at La Sirena

my friend informed me this morning that two Bulgarain nationals were apprehended yesterday outside of La Sirena in POP, cloning credit cards.

if it is true, i hope they don't get deported. there is nothing the mattter with them that 10 years in Victoria cannot rectify.

be careful out there. it is not pretty these days..

2. Likes irishpaddy, drstock, sosuamatt liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep true - seems the old iron-curtain countries have quite a few shifty blokes

http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/apresan...-puerto-plata/

A few years ago some Romanians were working with a NY Dominican gang & Locals here cloning credit cards - $45 million stolen:
    http://www.dominicanwatchdog.org/page-US$_45_Million_Debit_card_scam_connected_to_Dominican_Republic

There was another case a few years (5-6) back where 2 Russians were deported ( I think from Cabarete ) for cloning cards but I can't find that story.

*** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chico bill View Post

A few years ago some Romanians were working with a NY Dominican gang & Locals here cloning credit cards - $45 million stolen:
    http://www.dominicanwatchdog.org/page-US$_45_Million_Debit_card_scam_connected_to_Dominican_Republic

There was another case a few years (5-6) back where 2 Russians were deported ( I think from Cabarete ) for cloning cards but I can't find that story.
    you have to love Dominican choice of words..

both antisocial foreigners...

5. Likes chico bill, Garyexpat, Caonabo liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Exactly how they got me. How they managed to get my password to use the card I do not know.
    US banks are great at refunding any losses.
    Hope they spend a good bit of time in jail here.

7. Likes chico bill liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The new chip cards are 'close to impossible to clone' - As more ATMs and POS locations in the DR incorporate chip readers only - then it will dramatically reduce cloning.

I suggest only carrying one card, and or your local bank ATM and have all the alerts setup to be notified of any withdrawals or charges - sent as text messages.
    Keep your credit card companies numbers on your cell phone and freeze the account if there is unauthorized activity, or you misplace a card.

One thing is the charges here often appear to a name other than the business you used it - so it is sometimes hard to correlate.

9. Likes USA DOC liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

The new chip cards are 'close to impossible to clone' - As more ATMs and POS locations in the DR incorporate chip readers only - then it will dramatically reduce cloning.

I suggest only carrying one card, and or your local bank ATM and have all the alerts setup to be notified of any withdrawals or charges - sent as text messages.
    Keep your credit card companies numbers on your cell phone and freeze the account if there is unauthorized activity, or you misplace a card.

One thing is the charges here often appear to a name other than the business you used it - so it is sometimes hard to correlate.
    The problem is as follows :  my french card is a chip card. If scammers get hold of the info by, say skimming, they will then use it in a place that doesnt require a chip.  It happened to me, got card info stolen somewhere in the dr, and used after in the US, even though its a chip card.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malko View Post
    The problem is as follows :  my french card is a chip card. If scammers get hold of the info by, say skimming, they will then use it in a place that doesnt require a chip.  It happened to me, got card info stolen somewhere in the dr, and used after in the US, even though its a chip card.
    Skimmers can't read the chip information, likely it was used only the number ?
    Something, someday has to be done to make cards 100% secure.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

13. Likes ramesses liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Follow the card.

Always, always, follow your card, be with it when it is going to be scanned for a purchase. Less chance for it to be cloned. Perps don't like you looking over their shoulders.

Be aware of scenarios such as purchasing fuel and the attendant takes the card into the office to be scanned. Get out of the vehicle and follow the card.

Regards,

PJT

15. Likes cobraboy, Buzzard liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I now use a chip card much more often than cards without a chip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast