Claro internet IP address

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
Does anybody whether it is possible to get a U.S. IP address from Claro? Either way, I'm saying goodbye to Delancer. Enough is enough.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am not aware of Claro offering a US based IP address.

Same here. A VPN would be needed for a US based IP address with CLARO.

The cable company Cable Del Norte offers US or DR based IP addresses. The US based IP address is via their partner COMCAST in Florida.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Am I reading right ? USD$160 for 10MB per month !http://www.cabledelnorte.com/internet

Not exactly, no:

Cable del Norte has 10 Mbits/sec download speed with no cap on total data using a cable modem for 5,050 RD or about $105 US monthly with either a DR or US IP address. A very high price, but that is what they charge here.

CLARO would be a better option if it is available on fiber in your area and if you can use a DR IP address or are willing to use a VPN.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There will be a performance hit in that instead of connecting directly to netflix for example, you are connecting to netfix through another site. You can offset this reduced throughput by having a faster Claro connection than you did with Delancer.

The loss of speed through a good VPN would only have a significant/noticeable impact at connection speeds of 8 Mbits/s or less, or if the network is particularly congested and you are not achieving the speeds that you are supposed to have. If you are switching to Claro and have access to their fiber service, I see no reason to get less than 40 Mbits/s download speed and you should be able to do all the streaming you want without much difficulty until netflix chooses to block your VPN provider (not saying any site will necessarily block your VPN provider but they could if they wanted to - Amazon being one of the the exceptions, they actively block every VPN they can identify).

VPNs have some tricks up there sleeves as well when it comes to thwarting the blocks. It's a cat and mouse game for the most part and something to keep in mind when choosing a VPN provider. It's a good idea to hop on a support forum and ask others if they are successfully using the service to connect to a particular content provider if that is important to you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Ever wonder how Delancer stays in business with their pricing ?

What other option was there? Some wireless expensive service or CLaro DSL?

Only when CLARO fiber is available wherever Delancer and Cable Del Norte are now will they lose most if not all of their customers if they don't dramatically cut their pricing.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Exactly. If Claro wanted to rule the north coast, all they have to do is lay fiber into all the communities and make getting an account a tad less arduous and they'd have everyone as a customer.

Delancer's cable choices for US and Canadian TV stations is far better than Claro's though.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Exactly. If Claro wanted to rule the north coast, all they have to do is lay fiber into all the communities and make getting an account a tad less arduous and they'd have everyone as a customer.

Delancer's cable choices for US and Canadian TV stations is far better than Claro's though.

Then you could just get Claro Fiber Internet and keep cable from Delancer.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
There will be a performance hit in that instead of connecting directly to netflix for example, you are connecting to netfix through another site. You can offset this reduced throughput by having a faster Claro connection than you did with Delancer.

The loss of speed through a good VPN would only have a significant/noticeable impact at connection speeds of 8 Mbits/s or less, or if the network is particularly congested and you are not achieving the speeds that you are supposed to have. If you are switching to Claro and have access to their fiber service, I see no reason to get less than 40 Mbits/s download speed and you should be able to do all the streaming you want without much difficulty until netflix chooses to block your VPN provider (not saying any site will necessarily block your VPN provider but they could if they wanted to - Amazon being one of the the exceptions, they actively block every VPN they can identify).

VPNs have some tricks up there sleeves as well when it comes to thwarting the blocks. It's a cat and mouse game for the most part and something to keep in mind when choosing a VPN provider. It's a good idea to hop on a support forum and ask others if they are successfully using the service to connect to a particular content provider if that is important to you.

The fastest speed that Claro could offer me was 10 Mb/sec. I don't know why but I assume its because they don't have fiber in my area of El Batey. I have 6 Mb/sec from Delancer now, so if I lose any signficant speed with a VPN on my new Claro service, then I'll be right back to where I am now. I'm a reasonably tech savvy person, but the more I try to educate myself on VPN's, the more I realize the possible drawbacks and complications. Not as simple and straightforward as everyone says. Not sure what I'll do. Perhaps I'll begin with the Dominican IP address and see how much of handicap that is for my particular internet needs. Sounds like the only reason to go to a VPN is when the ISP cannot provide a U.S. IP address, and that makes websites that you need unavailable.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
The VPN that I recommended has no lost speed. You will not know it is in use.

rhanson1

Feb 23, 2012
The VPN that I recommended has no lost speed. You will not know it is in use.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a try. One more question: is there a way to use it for devices like a cellphone and tablet that connect via wifi to my Internet modem, or do I need apps for that?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks for the recommendation. I'll give it a try. One more question: is there a way to use it for devices like a cellphone and tablet that connect via wifi to my Internet modem, or do I need apps for that?

I use it on my cellphone all the time. Both from my modem and also data. They have an app for that. Free with your subscription. I use several devices. Look in the Play Store for it.

Last edited:

Buffness

Self-imposed banned🫢
Oct 9, 2014
We use smart DNS ...google it ...faster than VPN ..all devices...free to try . And if you must VPN ..then expressvpn 

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
We use smart DNS ...google it ...faster than VPN ..all devices...free to try . And if you must VPN ..then expressvpn
Smart DNS does not work anymore for Netflix on all devices (pc's are still ok, I think, media boxes not so much).
It does still work fine for Amazon Video and Hulu.
I have ExpressVPN as well, seems to be the one of the best VPN providers out there and so far no problems with Netflix.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
CLARO - you can't fix stupid

The fastest speed that Claro could offer me was 10 Mb/sec. I don't know why but I assume its because they don't have fiber in my area of El Batey. I have 6 Mb/sec from Delancer now, so if I lose any signficant speed with a VPN on my new Claro service, then I'll be right back to where I am now. I'm a reasonably tech savvy person, but the more I try to educate myself on VPN's, the more I realize the possible drawbacks and complications. Not as simple and straightforward as everyone says. Not sure what I'll do. Perhaps I'll begin with the Dominican IP address and see how much of handicap that is for my particular internet needs. Sounds like the only reason to go to a VPN is when the ISP cannot provide a U.S. IP address, and that makes websites that you need unavailable.

Sounds like DSL only and at about the best CLARO can do. I had a plan with CLARO for DSL where for years I got 3 Mbits/s. Not great, but it was just enough. Then the speed dropped one day to 1.5 Mbits/s. I called to complain. They told me I was too far from the central station to get more than 1.5 Mbits/s. I asked them if the central station had moved recently. They told me no, it is in the same location in Cabarete. I had not moved either. I told them that neither I nor they moved, I had 3 Mbits/s for years and now I am too far a way and you tell me I can only get 1.5 Mbits/s and there was nothing they could do. CLARO held firm that I was too far away.

You cannot fix stupid, so I had Cable Del Norte install a cable modem the next day.

I will try Claro fiber in the event it is ever available to me. CLARO has no idea when that will be. Despite how stupid they are.