Who sells 18650 lithium ion battery from Cabarete to Puerto Plata

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anyone know a store where they sell model 18650 lithium ion batteries from Cabarete to Puerto Plata?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
There is a store that should have it located on the one way street heading towards Sosua from the square park on your left. Don't remember the name but it is where they have a large area to repair watches and jewelry. I am sure someone would know the name. This is PP I am talking about.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
There is a store that should have it located on the one way street heading towards Sosua from the square park on your left. Don't remember the name but it is where they have a large area to repair watches and jewelry. I am sure someone would know the name. This is PP I am talking about.

Joyeria Soler, perhaps?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes, that is it. Have you tried there?

Not yet. I was hoping for a place a bit closer to Cabarete. I have a client renting from us that needs one. He just got the flash light/stun gun combo and they took the battery out of it when it was shipped from Miami to the DR by CPS.

By the way, he ordered some really cheap Chinese reading eyeglasses from China and Inposdom actually delivered them to the front of our development. That is a first.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Not that it is of importance at this time, but for future reference, there are adapters that take 3 AAA batteries.

When I bought my Green high power laser it came with an adapter to use the 3 AAA batteries in place of the 18650.

18650 Adapter

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Not that it is of importance at this time, but for future reference, there are adapters that take 3 AAA batteries.

When I bought my Green high power laser it came with an adapter to use the 3 AAA batteries in place of the 18650.

18650 Adapter

Good to know.

Since he would prefer to leave the battery in the baton and use the charger provided that connects directly to the baton, it might not provide the correct charging profile for those AAA batteries if he used NiMH AAA batteries. NiMH and Lithium Ion batteries normally use different charging methods.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
They have AAA Lithium Ion batteries.

BMCargo had no problem shipping 18650 to me in the past.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
They have AAA Lithium Ion batteries.

BMCargo had no problem shipping 18650 to me in the past.

Good point, but then you need to find them...

I think CPS is the company with the most "correct" shipping practices.
One reason why I still have not used them.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I asked CPS about rechargeable batters just last week. As long as the batteries do not contain Lithium and the total number of non-lithium batteries being shipped doesn't exceed the number/weight (which is a lot) that would qualify the shipment as being dangerous goods, no problem with CPS.

Lithium batteries are the issue and it is the airlines that are ultimately restricting them being loaded onto their planes, not necessarily the courier companies. There are provisions where you can ship lithium batteries but these batteries must meet several conditions that would allow the battery(s) to be accepted for transportation on an aircraft. The onus is on the shipper to provide a declarations stating that their lithium battery shipment complies with the requirements. It is my experience that a courier company seeing or reading any mention of a lithium battery being included in the shipment begins a process that usually results in that item being held and classified as dangerous goods. Surprisingly cellphones which all contain a lithium battery seem to sail straight through Miami without issue.

This is pretty much a lack of training when it comes to batteries and a general belief that all lithium batteries are restricted which is not the case. When dealing with Dominican courier companies it is usually an uphill fight to have them deliver lithium batteries to you here in the DR.

The webpage below will give you the ammunition to explain why your lithium battery is perfectly fine to transport to the DR on an aircraft but your success rate in actually convincing the company to put the lithium battery on said aircraft may vary.

See page II Section II - "Acceptable to all locations"

http://images.fedex.com/downloads/shared/packagingtips/lithiumbatteryFlowChart.pdf

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Good point, but then you need to find them...

I think CPS is the company with the most "correct" shipping practices.
One reason why I still have not used them.

But they are fast from Miami to Sosua

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
But they are fast from Miami to Sosua

I will probably use them soon since I signed up for them and customs is starting to keep track of items sent through various couriers and potentially charge more if you make "too many" orders, etc...

Generally I am not in a hurry for such shipments. How many days after hitting Miami are you soon your shipments delivered to you?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I will probably use them soon since I signed up for them and customs is starting to keep track of items sent through various couriers and potentially charge more if you make "too many" orders, etc...

Generally I am not in a hurry for such shipments. How many days after hitting Miami are you soon your shipments delivered to you?

Depends on the day it lands in Miami as they don't ship everyday. Last shipment was a pair of shoes that arrived Monday in Miami and was ready for pickup in Sosua on Thursday for 382 pesos.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Depends on the day it lands in Miami as they don't ship everyday. Last shipment was a pair of shoes that arrived Monday in Miami and was ready for pickup in Sosua on Thursday for 382 pesos.

I normally wait for Encargopaq to deliver packages. For shipments by air, they generally show up within a week of being in Miami.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Most couriers have that range of deliveries, but during the holidays all bets are out the window.

yeah. some of our black friday and cyber monday deals are arriving throughout this week. luckily we are in no rush. it's the same every year around xmas holidays.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Not all flashlights/devices that use an 18650 can use the AAA adaptor. I have a Cree LED flashlight that uses an 18650 battery and there is no way you can get 3 AAA batteries in it.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Since lithium batteries are only allowed to be carried onto airplanes I wonder if CPS, etc, will fly them here?

Strict warnings now that lithium batteries cannot be inside checked luggage. They can easily short and explode and create fire.