$RD 1200 for a local pie guru

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I'm a pretty good baker, but have never been very accomplished with pastry crusts. Besides, I do not own a rolling pin or pie plates. Missing the big Christmas dinner and of course all those left overs for days afterwards, I'm doing Christmas dinner N.A. style at home this year.

I longingly fondled a big can of pumpkin in Playero the other day. Taking into account my lack of tools and not being able to find the classic TenderFlake ready made pie crusts I used to rely on, I accepted that my festive meal will just have to include a cake rather than a pumpkin pie covered in real whipped cream.

As I sit here this morning, I'm having difficulty forgetting my family's traditional festive desert and one of my favorites.

I am willing to pay an accomplished baker RD$ 1200 for one 12 inch (approx 1.5 lbs) flaky crusted NA recipe pumpkin pie. A flaky NA style crust is a prerequisite and I defer to those with more experience than I, but some local brands of flour may not be suitable. The use of canned pumpkin is fine. Any readily available recipe for the filling that contains cinnamon, cloves and the other traditional ingredients is fine. Fresh from the oven in the afternoon of the 23rd would be perfect for me to pick up.

If interested, please PM me first, my waist does not need 10 pies. I should mention, someone in the Sosua/Cabarete/Puerto Plata area would be best as I do not wish to cross the island to pick up dessert. :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
THere happens to be a baking expert in residence here - DR1.

A more European flair than NA... but a baker, nonetheless

Retire

Jan 18, 2017
I'm a pretty good baker, but have never been very accomplished with pastry crusts. Besides, I do not own a rolling pin or pie plates. Missing the big Christmas dinner and of course all those left overs for days afterwards, I'm doing Christmas dinner N.A. style at home this year.

I longingly fondled a big can of pumpkin in Playero the other day. Taking into account my lack of tools and not being able to find the classic TenderFlake ready made pie crusts I used to rely on, I accepted that my festive meal will just have to include a cake rather than a pumpkin pie covered in real whipped cream.

As I sit here this morning, I'm having difficulty forgetting my family's traditional festive desert and one of my favorites.

I am willing to pay an accomplished baker RD$ 1200 for one 12 inch (approx 1.5 lbs) flaky crusted NA recipe pumpkin pie. A flaky NA style crust is a prerequisite and I defer to those with more experience than I, but some local brands of flour may not be suitable. The use of canned pumpkin is fine. Any readily available recipe for the filling that contains cinnamon, cloves and the other traditional ingredients is fine. Fresh from the oven in the afternoon of the 23rd would be perfect for me to pick up.

If interested, please PM me first, my waist does not need 10 pies. I should mention, someone in the Sosua/Cabarete/Puerto Plata area would be best as I do not wish to cross the island to pick up dessert. :)
O.K. Now I'm Hungry , thanks ...

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Yesterday noticed in Playero there was frozen pie crust in corner of the front side of the last coffin freezer closest to the fruit section.  Haven't tried it.  You can use a beer bottle as a rolling pin and Playero sells cheap foil pie tins. Go for it!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The effect that I am going for is that homemade flare and texture with that little bit of "Mom" that commercial bakeries can't quite duplicate. I'm not suggesting the baker must be female, only that stuff mixed with a wooden spoon at home with a bit of individuality produces a finished product that is subtly different each time but is always recognizable.

I figured if I am going to shell out $30 CDN for a pie, I should dream big. I don't expect a successful quest but if you don't ask. I will fall back to the original plan if need be.

Now commercial Christmas fruit cake in two pound blocks full of colourful bits of questionable fruit and the density of a brick, that I can get behind in a big way. Thought about ordering some from Amazon this year but I was already over my shipping bidget. :)

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Yesterday noticed in Playero there was frozen pie crust in corner of the front side of the last coffin freezer closest to the fruit section.  Haven't tried it.  You can use a beer bottle as a rolling pin and Playero sells cheap foil pie tins. Go for it!

Rum bottle is even better.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I've had a lot of pies and pastries from small private bakeries like the Belgium one that do taste "homemade" becuase, in effect, it is "mom" that is doing the baking.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
not to dampen your flaky crust but wouldn't you essentially buy a pie in a bag? how would you even know it's worth 30 dolla without trying? not to mention traveling to get it in the first place? i think you dream big, my fren.

having said that, i felt sufficiently inspired to cut up our first (and only) backyard pumpkin to make puree. i was about to try my hand at pumpkin cheesecake and possibly other goodies anyways, i may just as well have a go at your pie, if no one closer to you comes forward. i only have 8 inch take away pie dishes so that's the best i can do. free of charge but you will need to pick it up.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Can't hurt to swing by. Can someone point out a few land marks close to the Belgian Bakery in Cabarete? Haven't been there before and always have difficulty spotting business on that busy street.

Thx.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Scratch the bakery idea then. Tag you're it DV8. Thank you. Tell me where and when and I'll be there.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Can't hurt to swing by. Can someone point out a few land marks close to the Belgian Bakery in Cabarete? Haven't been there before and always have difficulty spotting business on that busy street.

Thx.

Very easy to find and to get in and out of. It's in the Plaza where Banco Popular is so, no problem with parking either.

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
Damn it, now I'm going to have to make a pie for myself here in SD! You got me dreaming of pie... so much lovely amazing PIE!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think i'm already passed 60 eggs and about 6 bags of flour so far this month... and i had to send miesposo shopping for more sugar and 8 more sticks of butter. from cheese and cranberry filled sweet bread through a pile of belgian waffles to goddamn vegan gingerbread cookies. and there's 10 more days left :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i think i'm already passed 60 eggs and about 6 bags of flour so far this month... and i had to send miesposo shopping for more sugar and 8 more sticks of butter. from cheese and cranberry filled sweet bread through a pile of belgian waffles to goddamn vegan gingerbread cookies. and there's 10 more days left :)

who is eating all this stuff?