Should I go to cap-Haitien?

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I’ve got two weeks at the end of January. 

I’ve narrowed 8t down to two possibilities. Colombia and a rocking good time with a friend for a week the. Wander on my own for a week.

Or, DR with a three day side trip to cap-Haitien.  

I would cross at dajabon and spend two nights, three if I like it.  

I definitely want a guide or at least a creole amd Spanish speaking companion. I could do public transport with a competent companion, but I just don’t want to go there alone.

The point of this thread is...

Does anyone know a trusted guide?  There was a thread opened awhile ago that got no hits.  I’ve read through the Haïti sub and found good info.  Dr1 always provides.

I’m going to fly into STI and go back via SDQ. I don’t want to give SD more than four days of my trip.  

Order of preference is to meet in Santiago.  Honestly, I want someone to walk me through the border.  Presumably there are many Haitians who speak Spanish near dajabon. I just don’t want to wander from line to chaotic line appearing lost.

If we travel by Caribe bus and taxi I pay all the expenses and meals while traveling. I’ll provide a room in the same hotel.  

So...if it’s an “official tour guide” what’s the going daily rate.

If it’s a trusted college student with a few days off class.  

A person of good character who is competent at dealing with officials in uniform and hotel reception desks.  

I’ve been holding off for a few days on posting this.  I’ve got to decide soon.  

A few extra thoughts.  

I expect cap-Haitien to be a dump.  It’s a bucket list thing and this short vacation alone is an opportunity.

Hotels in cap-Haitien are all dumps and cost twice as much as DR. Still cheap for a EuroCanUsa budget.  

I dislike poverty tours and that feels like what I’m getting myself into.  I want to tour the crumbled palace a somehow get up,to the citadel. (Laziest option, for sure).  

Any info people would care to share about their trips to sans souci, citadel and cap-Haitien would be greatly appreciated. 

How bad is the internet going to Suck?  Will I be able to get it there with an open iphine7+. Inalso have an open iPhone 5. 

Thanks guys.  

The best hotels in SDQ thread poppped upmat just the right time.  Wasn’t there a thread about discount for dr1 members.  Was it casa Sanchez.  

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Sorry.  Fat fingers on an iPad mini.  Trying to edit on this thing is near impossible. Please forgive my typos. 

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
A very good Hotel in the very center of Cap Haitien is Roi Christophe. They speak english. If you take the Caribe from Santiago to CP you don't even need a guide, the Caribe-people take care of everything. The busstation in CP is near the Roi C. The Lonely Planet guide "Dominican Republic & Haiti" has a very good Haiti-section. In the evenings in CP there's nothing to do but wander in the dark streets with large potholes, but I didn't feel unsecure. A must to visit is the village Labadie, the Lonely Planet has directions. A couple of years ago I wrote here a tripreport.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
A friend of mine from Ft. Lauderdale spent a week in Cap Haitien repairing some docks there for the gov. According to him, it is exactly what you expected - a total dump.

I'd recommend Colombia. Medellin is nice, Bucaramanga, too.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

orlando44

Jun 20, 2012
Greetings
I may be interested in going. I might not be too helpful though I do have a few contacts since I was in Haiti for 3 years having departed only 2 months ago but my language skills are horrible with exception of some Spanish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I’m doing it,  I just booked my flights into sti and out of Sdq. So I’ll go to Cap-Haitien for 2, possibly three nights. I’ve been getting good advice from Haitian colleagues. Can’t seem to find what I want regarding a tour guide on the internet. So I’ve opened it up to friendly coworkers who might have a Boston based relative who will do it for cost of the ticket and hotel. 

Anyway. I’m going to Sans Souci and Le Citadelle. Likely will stay at then Roi Christophe. I’m told internet is a pipe dream. That’s a problem for me. 

Last week of January. Caribe tour from Santiago to cap-Haitien. Via dajabon. 

Does anyone know when the market says are?  I would prefer to avoid that crowd. 

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Does anyone know when the market says are?  I would prefer to avoid that crowd. 

You mean the market at the border ? No problem, you will be sitting all the time in the bus (and can enjoy the view of the chaos), apart from the bordercontrol, which is a secured area. By the way, at the border every suitcase will be opened and thoroughly examined. In the bus at the boarder you can buy haitien gourdes, the exchangerate is ok.

You have still a few weeks, so buy the book "Creole made easy" from Wally Turnbull https://www.amazon.com/Creole-Made-...d=1514145930&sr=8-1&keywords=creole+made+easy .

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I like CH....fascinating place and definitely good for a few days break

I tend to find that the people who don't like Haiti and advise you not to go there....havent actually been themselves.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I like CH....fascinating place and definitely good for a few days break

I tend to find that the people who don't like Haiti and advise you not to go there....havent actually been themselves.

I have been to Haiti many times in my life. Actually, too many. I do not recommend it for people going there alone, on the blind, and with limited to zero language skills. No.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I have been to Haiti many times in my life. Actually, too many. I do not recommend it for people going there alone, on the blind, and with limited to zero language skills. No.

Caonabo, thank for that reply. I’m going to continue looking for a tour guide online. I’m going to look for a guide when I get to Santiago. 

Regarding language I’m thinking I’ll find Haitians who speak Spanish because CH is relatively close to the border. AM I wrong about about that?  

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I visited CH for three nights. Outside of the Hotel hardly anyone spoke other than creole and french.
But the people were friendly and I got along, with hands and a dozen of creole words.