Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: How Dominican is your Spanish?

Moderator - Spanish Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auryn View Post
    And that is the truth and where I most need to practice. I am stuck in the present tense, for the most part. It is crippling.

You have options. There are really good verb books on the market. I recommend Practice Makes Perfect. It’s a book that focuses on the study verbs with plenty of practice exercises. You will definitely improve if you use this resource.

As well, you can focus on learning 25 common Spanish verbs. Your choice of which ones you want to study first. For example, ser, estar, hacer, ir, ver, decir, comer, venir etc. Learn them in all the required tenses. Once mastered move on to another 25. 

There are so many resources available on the web and with your background being an English teacher you should have no problems understanding the grammar concepts. It seems like you are interested in moving forward so I encourage you by studying one verb at a time, one tense at a time or you can also study by learning the verb groups separately which you may find easier- the AR group, then the ER group, then the IR group.

-MP.

Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

2. Likes Auryn liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I will definitely look for Practice Make Perfect. I need to practice more than I do, but just when I think I've got it, something throws me for a loop. I am sure English is much harder for a second language learner, and I teach Lit not ESL which makes a difference somewhat. For example, Hacer- hice, Comer- come, correr- corre, makes sense. Poner- puse. What?

Thank you for your reply, I am going to start with hacer and try to learn it thoroughly, and then move on to others.

Moderator - Spanish Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Auryn View Post
    I will definitely look for Practice Make Perfect. I need to practice more than I do, but just when I think I've got it, something throws me for a loop. I am sure English is much harder for a second language learner, and I teach Lit not ESL which makes a difference somewhat. For example, Hacer- hice, Comer- come, correr- corre, makes sense. Poner- puse. What?

Thank you for your reply, I am going to start with hacer and try to learn it thoroughly, and then move on to others.
    Actually, it is recommended to start with a verb that has regular forms meaning it follows the rules of conjugation. An example is hablar. The conjugations in all tenses follow the rules of the AR verb group. Get comfortable with a verb like that before you study hacer which has many irregular forms in the different tenses. 

English verb conjugation is easier compared to Spanish. It is no where near the level of complexity of Spanish. People just want to learn overnight.

-MP.

Moderator Spanish Forum
    www.DR1.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678