Recommendation for a Gym (machine "circuit") closest to Zona Colonial??

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
Happy Holidays to All! Be cautious out there! IMHO: Better to stay inside until Tuesday!

Can anyone recommend a gym close to Zona Colonial? Does Sto. Dom. have a chain of gyms? (e.g. Gold Gym).

I am 64. I started to lose leg strength and nimbleness in my 50's. My legs feel like tubes of jello. I can trip and fall pretty easily. Given all the pavement pitfalls, and lots of stairs, I take it slow and easy.

One aspect of this is strengthening what you have. For example, my quads really could use some work. Also, a recent report in the NYT reported a clinical study from one of the medical journals, indicating that interval training increased the number of mitochondria in the exercised muscles in the elderly. The mitochondria produce energy (ATP; Krebs cycle).

I now live in Sto. Dom. for 20 days per month and OKAP for 10 days per month. In OKAP on Ri Karenaj, I found a wonderful shady park with a fenced in gym. One pays 10 HTG for entry, about 7 pesos! The equipment is all steel and very solid: upper body, lower body, core and cardio. So I want to continue my workout in S.D. when I return from Haiti.

By the way, I will be renting my own room in OKAP. No more paying for expensive hotels. Cost: 5616 pesos PER YEAR! Don't believe it? Welcome to Haiti! There is no advertising. There are no rental signs. Finding availability is solely by word-of-mouth, and, later, communication by What's App, etc. Many have smart phones and people walk with them at night on the street in the relative dark. OKAP is far less dangerous than S.D. There are far more homeless in the United States than in Haiti. Leave it up to Lucas61 (now Lucas64) to broach surprising and probable truths!

Oh, yeah, almost forgot my original purpose. Any recommend for a gym near Zona Colonial

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There is a gym in Calle Sanchez, near the Mercedes turn off, on the left hand side as you walk down. It has free weights, cardio machines and personal training and I think it is the largest gym in the Colonial Zone.

Matilda