Sewing machine oil...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Hello,

Does anyone know where I can find sewing machine oil in SD? Thanks!

The scourge of living in the DR. Finding stuff.
Gardener came across hornet nest in my hedge and wanted to toss diesel fuel on them.
I said no and took off searching all the hardware stores for the instant kill hornet spray can.
Hours later the diesel fuel worked fine.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Most hardware stores here sell the 3 in 1 oil in a small container. It's a bit heavier than sewing machine oil but works well. There are and some light weight aerosol oils here that also work well with fine machinery.
I use the 3 in 1 on my wife's Brother embroidery machine and have not had any problems.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
The ad says in the first couple of sentences that the seller "DOES NOT SHIP TO THE DOM REPUBLIC". Guess you missed that.

So what you do is ship to Miami, FL and let vimenpaq or encargopaq or another shipper forward to la rep dom......... eazy peazy

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Only true gamblers order merchandise from afar and have it shipped to the DR. Ignore the "won't ship to the DR" notices on Amazon and use your courier's Miami address (as bb suggests), chances are you'll actually receive it and you won't have to deal with customs directly.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Got it. I forgot about the re-shippers. I never used them but have heard good things about them

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Either use "3 in 1 oil" as suggested or order it and get it shipped in by a freight forwarder. I would go with 3 in 1 as the option in this case.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
The scourge of living in the DR. Finding stuff.
Gardener came across hornet nest in my hedge and wanted to toss diesel fuel on them.
I said no and took off searching all the hardware stores for the instant kill hornet spray can.
Hours later the diesel fuel worked fine.

Funny story... and kind of related actually. When I was working remotely with my girlfriend's son trying to fix this sewing machine I had asked him to oil a part that is giving us problems. He said he had oil. Little did I know that the "oil" he had was WD 40 !!!

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Most hardware stores here sell the 3 in 1 oil in a small container. It's a bit heavier than sewing machine oil but works well. There are and some light weight aerosol oils here that also work well with fine machinery.
I use the 3 in 1 on my wife's Brother embroidery machine and have not had any problems.

Thanks melphis. Sites that I visited advised staying away from 3 in 1, but if nothing else is available locally I might have to go with it.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Thanks melphis. Sites that I visited advised staying away from 3 in 1, but if nothing else is available locally I might have to go with it.

Google search seems to agree with you..........

3 in 1 oil should not be used for sewing machines ( or any other mechanical
device you care about ). It evaporates and leaves a gummy residue. A good
sewing machine oil is much better but the best is the ( relatively new )
Teflon based oils such as Breakfree, Triflow, ect.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Bill...what do you need the putty for?.....
I use it for lots of things. Sealing around toilet tank bolts, sink drains. I know everyone here uses silicone but that's not right. Since I'm in Ft Lauderdale if I remember I'll pick some up at Home Depot. It's such a common thing but hardware stores on the North Coast draw a blank.

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk. And it's cheap

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Another possibility is if there is a taboo shop in your area one of the lubricants the use is a small tube of silicone lubricant.
Several hardware stores in my area also sell 3 in 1 silicone spray.

May 5, 2007
Thanks for the idea Tamborista. If I was staying more than a week I might have gone this route (with a forwarder). Need the oil in the next couple of days.

Don't use gooey gummy 3 in 1 if it calls for refined sewing machine oil If I recall 3 in 1 is a solvent and not an actual lubricating oil, similar to WD 40 May work for a period but will come to a screeching halt and require digging the stuff (3 in 1) out