Las Terrenas Report / Beach Warning !

DominicanSol

Mar 20, 2010
Las Terrenas Trip Report ...

Visiting Las Terrenas for many years and always enjoyed my stays. Spent a couple weeks mid December and was surprised with almost no tourist in town. The beach along the road to Punta Poppy has some damage after the hurricanes and all of the small beach bars have been removed by the national police leaving in some spots wood and concrete foundations protruding from the sand. Use caution out at the point in secluded areas people are scoping out your personal belonging as you swim and get relaxed. My advice would be not to bring anything to the beach that you don't want to be lost. Walking the streets at night I felt people were eyeing my pockets and could be easily robbed in the dark spots along the beach road beware of a woman wearing a large floppy hat day and night she will come running up to you in the dark so keep distance and watch your pockets. Otherwise things seemed as always sun shine and a blue sea everyday enjoy your trip.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Was there last week.

The beach alongside Playa Popi was severely eroded by the hurricanes and sea surge so much so that the road 27 Febrero is undermined in two locations with the edge of the road damaged. The beach huts were severely damaged by the hurricanes and removed as a result.

Beach huts still exist behind the cemetery and along Playa Las Ballenas and the taxi stand is now adjacent the cemetery.

Mojitos has relocated west on the opposite side of the road opposite where the taxi stand used to be.

Town in my opinion is as safe as it always has been and always welcoming with plenty of Cestur officers around all the time. Never had a problem is this town which was my home for two years, even in the wee hours.

Always quiet before Christmas and some hotels actually close the week before as was the case with a favorite Hotel Atlantis.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
The beach near Punta Popy was already severely eroded two years ago.
Some huts are beeing build on the other side of the road. First time in six years was robbed in my apartment, but was my fault letting the guard down with "friends".

cbrick72

Nov 8, 2017
While I may not be a local I come here twice a year (I am here now) for 45 days each time. I am able to work from my rental via the internet. I come here because day and night I always feel safe here. Of course just like anywhere in the world, you have be careful of your surroundings. I am from California and have also lived on the beaches in North Carolina. Neither of those places we would go in the water and leave our valuables on the beaches unprotected as well. I don't know where you can do that. I am sure Las Terrenas has lots of pick pockets but that doesn't mean it is unsafe. Canada and the United States have lots of pick pocketers as well. I think telling people this place is unsafe because your friends stole from you in your apartment or there might be pick pockets on the street is unjust to this great beach community.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Las Terrenas is relatively safe if you use good common sense. Yes there will always be scammers and petty thieves. I would try to avoid streets that don't have a lot of activity at night. The DR is only as safe as your life style. Look for trouble and it will find you. At my age I was normally at home at an early hour at night and never experienced any real problems. I did hear stories of those not as fortunate and didn't have a sense of their surroundings. Many people who come here on holiday over indulge and put themselves in a compromising position. They don't realize they are not in Kansas anymore. Good luck and good travels

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
I have always felt safe and still feel on the streets in Las Terrenas, day and night at any hour.

I was robbed in my apartment b/c I was so drunk I still don't know what happened :ermm:

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
So the beach bars are gone, soon also the road. In some places now only four meters left.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Situation now:
6jg1vn.jpg

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
Well. You see it, it'll last a few months. The local paper says Punta Cana has prio1 for the beach erosion. There are still enough beaches in LT.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
How is the erosion at Playa Las Ballenas ?
Last year when I was there in Feb/Mar 50% of that beach disappeared.