Luggage repair...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Does anyone know a good starting place to look for luggage repair in SD?
Broken collapsing handle (part broke off/missing).

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

If you don't find a place you can order the part and do the repair yourself. Basically you unzip the liner, take out a few screws and install the new handle assembly.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017

A good starting place? I would think any shoe repair location would be able to assist in the matter.

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Any luck yet?
The problem is that my partner doesn't know any shoe repair spots, and we only have one more day to get it fixed. I guess it will have to wait until after the trip.

Sent from my Pixel V2 using Tapatalk

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The problem is that my partner doesn't know any shoe repair spots, and we only have one more day to get it fixed. I guess it will have to wait until after the trip.

Ask a motoconcho on the corner.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

Only one day to get it fixed? What piece broke off? Does the handle retract? Got a pic? Maybe a quick home remedy can make the luggage useable.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Not to mention SD is a pretty large area. Can the OP narrow it down?

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
Only one day to get it fixed? What piece broke off? Does the handle retract? Got a pic? Maybe a quick home remedy can make the luggage useable.
Here is what it looks like, if the upload works.
36158513110e39760f3060a8e017b60e.jpg
d4ef0607355ea1ad9dc75e3e175bb6b9.jpg

MarkDR

Feb 18, 2016
With some coaxing I can get the handle to retract almost all the way. I'm thinking of we can get some rope we can make a makeshift handle so the wheels can be used.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
With some coaxing I can get the handle to retract almost all the way. I'm thinking of we can get some rope we can make a makeshift handle so the wheels can be used.

Feel around the liner where you see a seam. Tucked away will be a tab for a zipper. Unzip the liner and either manually retract the handle completely or remove the retractable handle assembly. I wouldn't waste time looking for a repair shop because the chances of someone having the replacement part on the shelf is slim to none.

I think your best bet would be to look online and order a replacement assembly and install it yourself. I have done it before and it is very easy with just your basic hand tools. If this is not one of your major brands of luggage you may just be doomed.

Another option is break off the grey handle part. Inside the square stem is a tab you can press to release the locking mechanism. This will allow you to retract the handle.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I would be in agreement with attempting to remove the retractable hand assembly, and attaching a rope. This is the RD, and nobody would pass you a second glance, at least here, I can not speak upon your arrival destination. Other than that, again removing the retractable hand assembly, you may have to use the old fashioned carry method, such as with a briefcase.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I would be in agreement with attempting to remove the retractable hand assembly, and attaching a rope. This is the RD, and nobody would pass you a second glance, at least here, I can not speak upon your arrival destination. Other than that, again removing the retractable hand assembly, you may have to use the old fashioned carry method, such as with a briefcase.

too funny, but true................

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
I suggest you look for another suitcase like yours in one of the big stores here, buy it, take it apart and remove the handle. Then you can take apart your suitcase and install the handle you removed from the other one.

Easy peasy!

You're welcome. :D:D:rolleyes:

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I wonder how this situation turned out. Did you follow through with the rope option? Any update?

Status
Not open for further replies.