Boca Chica Abusing Tourists?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's been many, many years since we've gone to Boca Chica, but 1,500 a meal sounds outrageous.

=============

They say Boca Chica trade abuses tourists

Posted on: December 29, 2017

By:Diógenes Tejada d.tejada@elnacional.com.do

e-mail:redaccion [@] elnacional.com.do

A native journalist from Guatemala who is visiting the country, denounced Friday that for eight fish services, a lambí service and seven beers, in a Boca Chica beach business they charged 22 thousand 850 pesos, which considered an abuse.

"Since I arrived in my country, I'm going to make a scandal about this unforgivable abuse that I was subjected to in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic," said Guatemalan journalist Freddy Carreras, who said that until Thursday, when he was the target of the scam, He stopped being a regular visitor of that tourist pole.

He indicated that each fish service was charged at 1,500 pesos, as well as lambí, while the seven beers were charged at 200 pesos each. Carreras said that actions such as the one that was victim only cause damages to Boca Chica and the Dominican Republic.

"How is it possible that if you are a native of that town and make a living selling fish and other food to visitors, you incur abuses that only harm your own people and therefore, damage the image of your country?" , said the complainant, who said he works for one of the main Guatemalan media.

computer translated from: http://elnacional.com.do/dicen-comercio-de-boca-chica-abusa-de-turistas/

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"How is it possible that if you are a native of that town and make a living selling fish and other food to visitors, you incur abuses that only harm your own people and therefore, damage the image of your country?"

If he lived here long enough he would know the answer: Why? Because this is a typical Dominican thing.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I have dined 6 times in Boca Chica within the last two weeks. There are many variables that need to be factored into the equation, or rather, the factura/check. What type of establishment was this? Beachfront/streetside shack, or a reputable sitdown establishment? Fish prices are per pound before cooking, so if they all had a 3lb fish, at 500 pesos per pound, that would be 1,500 pesos a piece. What were the accompaniments with the meal? French fries cheap, other items not so cheap. If the beers were imported, and not Presidente (Corona, Heineken, Stella Artois), a reputable establishment could, and will charge 200 pesos a piece for them. Factor in a possible service charge for a large party dining, and the 18% ITBIS, and the author may not have much to grieve about. He wasn't in Kansas, I mean Guatemala, any longer.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
How is it someone orders a meal and doesn't either look at the price or ask what the price is. I can sort of understand maybe not asking how much a beer is but when you order food who doesn't ask?

Please note OP did not mention where he dined. Maybe if it was that fancy, white linen restaurant near Be Live Hamaca then that just might be the price for a meal.

Was the beer a Jumbo for 200 pesos? no biggie at a fine restaurant

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
The prices are right in line with an establishment such as Boca Marina, and to a lesser extent Bocana. Fish selections are usually charged per pound, and they will allow you to select it, and weigh it in front of you at your table, or at a stand towards the side of the kitchen. They may have mistaken the price for 500 pesos per service as opposed to 500 pesos per pound. Also, I would be most assured that the diners, if from Guatemala, purchased Corona beers. Imports, which would yes, be at a rate of 200 pesos in a finer establishment. I believe there are pieces of the story missing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one of the comments questions the math involved:
Es verdad que se cometen atropellos en nuestras playas y el servicio que dan los comerciantes. Sin embargo, la suma de todo con los precios que publica la noticia da una suma de 14,900 pesos.
which is correct. 9 plates at 1500 (8 of fish, 1 of lambi) and 7 beers at 200 pesos come to 14,900. even with 10% service and 18% tax it's still not 22k....

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Would this discrepancy not have been brought to the attention of management before paying the bill? Not to mention, I don't know of many people that will only have one beer with a three pound fish. Furthermore, why is the establishment not named? If he was looking to stir up a scandal, it would help if the establishment was named. Something smells bad here, and it may not be the fish.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
maybe just another journalist looking for his 15 minutes of fame.....if I get screwed over ....I would be shouting the name all over the place

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I've only been there once. After a basic breastfast ran me 3000 mil and the haitanos squatting in stalled construction site tried to hawk fruit at prices any extortionist would be proud of, I went to a supermarket and cooked my meals in my apartamento hotel.

The place was shabby. The beach had a 100 meter wide litter berg rolling in the swells. I was carpet bombed by vendors to the point I couldn't complete a full sentence with my girlfriend. The chicas appeared to average 15 years of age. The short ride to the airport was always $30. It was just an unpleasant experience and I hibernated in the hotel for the duration.

Sounds like the journalist was writing about the right place.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Sounds like the OP was definitely ripped off. Haven't been there in a while, but I had fried fried fish plates like shown in dv8's post. They should have cost no more than 350 pesos and a beer on the beach 125 pesos max. BC makes Sosua look high class.

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Love Boca Chica!

You really gotta be savvy to navigate thems waters......

You're a much stronger person mentally if you can handle that onslaught......

Forget New York.......

If you can make it there,

You can make it anywhere!!

Bring it on!

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Sad to say it's like that at many establishments that are near the beaches that we have visited. We always ask for the prices if it's not on the menu. Never ever purchase anything if the cost of the meal or service is not provided. We have refused to pay for certain purchases even if the price changed by 2 pesos per item from what was previously quoted. Buyer beware. Some folks do business at their own peril. Just plain ol' miseducated and dumb if you ask me.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I really don't get how someone gets taken for a ride. I ALWAYS ask (if no menu with prices) HOW MUCH? Although I speak Spanish it is with a gringo accent and I tell them don't give me the gringo discount - price plus 20% (or much more). I am aggressive but respectful, will often times say, es demasiado! and start walking away and 99.9% of the time the price drops. An ex girlfriend in the capitol once told me I negotiate with them very well. - I enjoy playing the game.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I really don't get how someone gets taken for a ride. I ALWAYS ask (if no menu with prices) HOW MUCH? Although I speak Spanish it is with a gringo accent and I tell them don't give me the gringo discount - price plus 20% (or much more). I am aggressive but respectful, will often times say, es demasiado! and start walking away and 99.9% of the time the price drops. An ex girlfriend in the capitol once told me I negotiate with them very well. - I enjoy playing the game.

You're right of course. That was the last time I ever ordered without knowing the price. Breakfast for two: 300 oh wait, he did ask for a menu: 3000.

Even with my mistake, I have Boca Chica on the AVOID list. There is nothing charming or interesting about the place. It's just a tourist trap that isn't aging well. The HoJo in your home town has more charm.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014

Barato (as I point to my elbow for some reason)

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
That's called tacaño and not barato. That's exactly the way I do it. Why pay more than locals have to?
If you don't do that I'd call that robbing your own wallet.
Reckon you always pay Gringo prices? ;)

That's right, it has been a while and I couldn't remember the word - translator doesn't speak Dominican.
Even when I paid my beyond premium Gringo prices they would call me tacano so I had to give them more.
In the end I just gave my house keeper the titles to my property and damn it she still called me tacano.
All I want is to not be called Tacano, please help.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
It's been many, many years since we've gone to Boca Chica, but 1,500 a meal sounds outrageous.

=============

They say Boca Chica trade abuses tourists

Posted on: December 29, 2017

By:Diógenes Tejada d.tejada@elnacional.com.do

e-mail:redaccion [@] elnacional.com.do

A native journalist from Guatemala who is visiting the country, denounced Friday that for eight fish services, a lambí service and seven beers, in a Boca Chica beach business they charged 22 thousand 850 pesos, which considered an abuse.

"Since I arrived in my country, I'm going to make a scandal about this unforgivable abuse that I was subjected to in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic," said Guatemalan journalist Freddy Carreras, who said that until Thursday, when he was the target of the scam, He stopped being a regular visitor of that tourist pole.

He indicated that each fish service was charged at 1,500 pesos, as well as lambí, while the seven beers were charged at 200 pesos each. Carreras said that actions such as the one that was victim only cause damages to Boca Chica and the Dominican Republic.

"How is it possible that if you are a native of that town and make a living selling fish and other food to visitors, you incur abuses that only harm your own people and therefore, damage the image of your country?" , said the complainant, who said he works for one of the main Guatemalan media.

computer translated from: http://elnacional.com.do/dicen-comercio-de-boca-chica-abusa-de-turistas/

Boca Chica is a sh*thole.