View Poll Results: Should the construction of highrises be allowed in Punta Cana?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, this can only mean more business opportunities and jobs.

5 10.00%
  • Yes, no more than 10 floors.

1 2.00%
  • Yes, no more than 10 floors and away from the beach.

11 22.00%
  • Absolutely not!

33 66.00%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: THE NEW PUNTA CANA SCANDAL

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    Therein lies the problem.
    You are seeing the development and sale of Juan Dolio as an example through the eyes of those that are just interested in sale percentages and bottom line dollar transaction amounts, regardless of where that money derives from. A pure business module, and nothing further. If a corporation buys ten apartments, there are ten apartments sold. It does not matter that those apartments are vacant 95% of the time. On paper and statistically speaking, they are sold.
    The other side of the proverbial coin, is that those against the concept appear to be thinking of the quality of life of the sector as a whole, not just now, but with an eye towards the future as well. As a whole, business and community combined, not just business.
    When you separate sale percentages and bottom line dollar transactions, not one person can argue that the Juan Dolio experience has suffered a drastic novedive over the last twenty years. After a recent golf outing, several friends and I opted to dine in Boca Chica (Bocana) rather than Juan Dolio. There was not one restaurant that was appealing for a middle of the afternoon lunch. Any person who believes different, I invite you to partake in a drive of the area, and draw your own conclusions.
    It is with this concept or module in mind that I believe those against this plan base their reasoning, and they are correct.
    I don't understand Juan Dolio. It's a ghost town.

2. Likes sylindr, Caonabo liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    I don't understand Juan Dolio. It's a ghost town.
    How can it be a ghost town if people in the real estate business there are very satisfied with the pace of sales? Yes, I jest. It is a very sad testament indeed, that Juan Dolio is a shell of it's former self, but there are some tall white concrete buildings there. Aside from the high concrete walls, I could not tell you what occurs beyond them, as I do not spend enough time in this particular area, nor would I want to. I can say that the streets are uninhabited, with the exception of a few Haitian vendors selling fruit and used clothing. In keeping with the theme, I do not see what type of community these projects invite, and I would hate to see that happen to Punta Cana, or any other area for that matter. I do wrestle with the notion of placing those medium sized structures on a non-beachfront side of the avenue. There needs to be some sort of allowance for local businesses to thrive.

4. Likes chico bill liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The failed Juan Dolio model takes hold in Punta Cana:

Santo Domingo.- Tourism minister Francisco Javier García on Wed. announced that from now the construction of high-rises as tall as 22 floors will be allowed in Punta Cana (east).

The bombshell announcement comes after weeks of reports of a standoff pitting the Dominican hoteliers grouped in Asonahores against the developers interested in investing in the construction of high-rises near the beaches of Macao and Cap Cana, in Punta Cana.

Garcia, interviewed in the National Palace, said that in a meeting with the hoteliers it was agreed that any future dispute arising from the change in zoning, would be discussed in a dialogue established for those purposes.

He said it’s the first time that a conflict arises in the tourism sector during his nine-year tenure. “This is the first time that I am referring to a conflict, I think what we have to do is continue to promote tourism, to continue reaping the successes we have achieved.”

Meanwhile, tourism mogul Frank Rainieri said the issue isn’t a conflict, but a struggle for principles and values, and hailed the agreement reached by Tourism and Asonahores to postpone the “construction issue” and table the talks.

“I think it’s best that we return to dialogue, to negotiation, and we must understand that Asonahores assumed a negotiating position and you have to understand that I, as a member of Asonahores, I cannot comment.”

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/touris...-near-beaches/

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hoteliers folded.

Santo Domingo.- Dominican Republic’s hoteliers grouped in (ASONAHORES) on Tues. agreed to talks with the Tourism Ministry to seek solutions that continue the “successful tourism development model.”

Asonahores called its announced withdrawal of its challenge to the construction of high-rises near beaches, a “positive gesture towards the opening of the dialogue.”

The hoteliers objected the changes in the zoning that would allow construction of buildings as high as 22 floors at Macao, and Cap Cana, in Punta Cana (east).

“Through the technical dialogue with Tourism, steps can be taken that allow the continuation of the successful tourism model based on low density, protection of tourist coasts and other important sustainability criteria,” the hoteliers said.

In a statement ASONAHORES said it adopted the decision after a meeting Mon. with Tourism minister, Francisco Javier García. “In its actions ASONAHORES has always favored dialogue in its relations with the authorities and the leadership of the different social and business sectors.”

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/touris...-near-beaches/

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I could care less what happens in Punta Cana with one possible exception. Let us say that Punta Cana is ruined by the high rises and fails like Juan Dolio did, then the focus would be on the north coast to put in such high rises for a rinse and repeat.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    I could care less what happens in Punta Cana with one possible exception. Let us say that Punta Cana is ruined by the high rises and fails like Juan Dolio did, then the focus would be on the north coast to put in such high rises for a rinse and repeat.
    Isn't comparing Juan Dolio to Punta Cana, kind of silly?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljmesg View Post
    I have no idea. I have no direct interest in either location and very little knowledge of either.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ljmesg View Post
    Not at all. They are speaking directly of similar development proposals. Those in Punta Cana only need look at what happened in Juan Dolio. It is actually a very good comparison, if not the best.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    Not at all. They are speaking directly of similar development proposals. Those in Punta Cana only need look at what happened in Juan Dolio. It is actually a very good comparison, if not the best.

Punta Cana has more than 150 All Inclusive Hotels, the airport in PC had more flights than every other airport in the DR combined. THERE IS NOT COMPARISON TO Juan Dolio...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    Punta Cana has more than 150 All Inclusive Hotels, the airport in PC had more flights than every other airport in the DR combined. THERE IS NOT COMPARISON TO Juan Dolio...
    The comparison was made in reference to residential high rises being constructed on beachfront property and it's possible effects upon the local community. The number of All Inclusive Hotels or number of flights into Punta Cana is not a point of contention.

13. Likes windeguy liked this post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast