High-Rises in Punta Cana

Should the construction of highrises be allowed in Punta Cana?

• Total voters

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I knew it was a matter of time for this to happen.

Diario Libre published an article stating that the Ministry of Tourism changed the rules of the touristic development game in the Punta Cana - Bávaro - Macao area. From the very start it was agreed that Punta Cana should be different and more environmentally friendly compared to other international beach destinations. As a consequence, a height limit that initially implied ‘no taller than the tallest coconut palm’ and later was institutionalized with an official limit of 4 floors.

It turns out that back in September 2017, the Ministry of Tourism changed the height limit for the Macao area to a whopping 22 floors! The other area where the limit was risen considerably is Cap Cana, where highrises are already registered as independent companies and, apparently, construction would start as soon as the law allows it.

Tourism organizations from the national level to the local Punta Cana area level, plus the main established Dominican investors in Punta Cana, are alarmed that these changes were made quietly back in September without asking for their input at all. The beach tourism leaders became aware of the changes now that the news has hit the waves (no pun intended).

https://www.diariolibre.com/economi...res-de-22-pisos-en-macao-y-cap-cana-FH8876236

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
The new height (in floors) limit along the Coconut Coast. Notice that more than 17 highrises have been authorized for construction in Cap Cana.  

C8055_A90-0_F22-4_E9_B-_A819-98_EBF5_E25_EBC.jpg

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I saw that article and DL have done a good job exposing this. I really hope these developers don't get away with this insanity.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I have ben involved in hospitality construction in the Caribbean for 17 years and personally find high rise construction adjacent the beaches of the Caribbean incompatible with the destination.

Developers everywhere seek more floors...more rooms per square foot of footprint. They are greedy with big wallets and no conscience.

Frankly discerning tourists don't want high rise developments on the beach rather the opposite. But the North American market targets mass tourism, so what goes for Miami Beach should in their opinion go for the Caribbean Islands.

It is ugly to see high rise buildings on Grace Bay in Providenciales on what was perhaps the most pristine reef protected beach anywhere...and I was on that beach when it was virgin with nothing before Club Med. Equally it was on the wonderful on 7 mile beach in Cayman before it got overrun with dense hospitality.

I am no fan of the East Coast but it is has been developed for the NA market and is nothing special anymore. And as such I could accept modest high rise back from beach but to do more, would ruin any remaining Caribbean feel.

I pray there remains strict limits on number of floors in places like Samana and in the future in the South West.

DR is not Florida nor never should be a copy of the same.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
In my opinion this is a huge mistake. Just imagine the skyline with all the abandoned and half built high rises.
A scammers dream about to happen.

Jan 7, 2016
The low-rise buildings we have here can barely tolerate a hard hurricane...imagine what a few skyscrapers will look like after a blow! Also, the elevators in the high rises will never work properly, due to power surges, outages and general mismanagement of the maintenance. The four floor elevators here usually have out-of-order signs half the time!

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
For its own benefit.

The east coast infrastructure and delicate environment cannot support the density of people such high-rise development would bring into the tourist zone.

The approval of this plan speaks loudly of government's lack of transparency:bandit: and its willingness to benefit from its adulterating:devious: regulation to favor the powerful. It has no other concerns.

The public:angry: needs to cry foul !

Regards,

PJT

Bob Boyd

Feb 3, 2004
Think fire protection. All of Santo Domingo has only one aerial ladder truck and that was useless at the Quisqueya Baseball Stadium fire, Wednesday night. High rise sprinkler systems are useless without city water mains and specialized high pressure fire pumpers that can respond in minutes and not hours.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Not a priority policy

Fire safety and protection is not a priority policy in all the Dominican Republic. One of the reasons is the nation's poverty is given as an excuse for a lack of revenue to support public safety.

A fire tax or fee, let's say in this case in tourist zone, could be assessed yearly to the developers and owners of high-rises to provide funds for additional fire protection equipment and fire fighters. Yet, this will not happen because it is all about a greed that funnels money that could be used for public safety, is instead used to fill the pockets of entrepreneurs and officials.

Regards,

PJT

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Anyone who wants to see what high rise development in a beach town in DR looks like can go to Juan Dolio to see what is happening. I think the height limit here is something like 17 stories near the beach and there are in the range of ten buildings this height built there already. And, more under construction. Developers there have publicly stated they want it to be like Miami Beach. That is what they want for the beaches in the DR. They see that as the model for success.

The people with the millions will prevail. It is that way all over the world.

A current example of a project in pre-sale or maybe already started is Coral Cliffs. You can google it. Just to make it easy here is one link.

http://republica-dominicana.bieneso...mento-venta--san-pedro-de-macoris_APV3425.php

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Not in the Punta Cana tourist zone !

High-rises may have their place, but not in the Punta Cana tourist zone. They may be OK in Juan Dolio as the government can connect the location with the Santo Domingo water aqueduct via Boca Chica.

Punta Cana is another process. The nearest supply of additional fresh water other than local well water would be from Higuey, a city which until very recently has been fighting government for 60+ years to improve own fresh water supply and construct an aqueduct. Higuey will be very reluctant and resentful for the tourist zone to share its system. Who is going to fiance and build an aqueduct of 45 km / 28 ml from Higuey to Punta Cana?

Be mindful, the fresh water, the ground water supply, in the tourist zone is provided by private and commercial wells support private residences, commercial enterprises, and residential complexes. There is no public aqueduct system per se.

Studies by the World Bank and locally by the Fundacion Ecologica Punta Cana have mentioned the fresh water ground water table is being lowered by consumption that is not being restored sufficiently to keep up with the demand. There are no large rivers to draw clean water. On top this peril is the encroachment of light density salt water over high density fresh water that infiltrate wells making them useless.

High-rises of any sort in the tourist zone would place too much stress on the area infratructure, the environment, and the government's ability to properly manage, control , and regulate such development.

Regards,

PJT

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I hope this does not happen. It would take so much appeal away from the area. Resorts are hidden away which gives the traveler a feeling of being in a private oasis (of course with other guests). That to me is part of the allure of going to Punta Cana.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Go to Isa Verde or Condado in Puerto Rico or Cartegena in Colombia or several places in Panama and Brazil. Great for some of the people who get into a condo with a view and live there, but the tourists tend to look for more quaint beach experiences.
I've been to PUnta Cana 3 times.
The last time was last July and I can say the quaint feel is gone and it has become less of a bargain.
I think they can over-build the area (if not already).
This reminds me of that old axiom "Killing the Golden Goose" - Most Dominicans seem to always manage to kill their goose.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
If there is demand, they will build. Quite simple.

Like Atlantic City, Cancun, Las Vegas and Orlando - they have lost their appeal but still people go - just a different and tackier class of people.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Go to Isa Verde or Condado in Puerto Rico or Cartegena in Colombia or several places in Panama and Brazil. Great for some of the people who get into a condo with a view and live there, but the tourists tend to look for more quaint beach experiences.
I've been to PUnta Cana 3 times.
The last time was last July and I can say the quaint feel is gone and it has become less of a bargain.
I think they can over-build the area (if not already).
This reminds me of that old axiom "Killing the Golden Goose" - Most Dominicans seem to always manage to kill their goose.

The days of quaint in Punta Cana are nearly over. The government and business interests are marketing to the masses. Read the stated goals for the number of tourists they want to arrive each year. Nothing quaint about it.

You can see the change taking place. And, with high rise construction, that is one of the last nails in the coffin of quaint.

PJT points out the severity of the water problem. Certainly that will have to be addressed. More development without an adequate supply of water is not viable. Someone will have to assess current supply. And, project for the future. Not so hard to do. But, the answers might not be what the developers want to hear. That could be the line in the sand. Or not. Given the pressures.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I don't think the East coast was ever quaint, at least not since the days of the Beach Casitas at the old Punta Cana Hotel. For quaint, see Samaná. The Macao area, still relatively unspoiled, could emulate that smaller-scale tourism model - a high-rise in Macao would be even more incongruous than in Cap Cana.

In any case, high-rise in tourism areas is completely outdated. Think of places that have had their heyday like Acapulco, Torremolinos and Benidorm - now synonymous with tacky. Even in Punta Cana, people are still seeking the image of a natural paradise, not compartments in a sterile high-rise, however luxurious. The only thing they would have going for them would be the views.