LT to Samana City Help Please

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Hello,

My wife and I will be staying at The Alisie in LT for a few weeks. At the same time my brother and sister in law will be staying at the Grand Bahia Princpe Cayacoa in Samana City (or close to Samana City).

My question is , how do we get there by guaga ? I see a lot of guaga action at the intersection by the cemetery so I am assuming this will be a starting point.

Can anyone give me guidance on (a) Where do I catch the guaga? (b)should we be expecting to have to do transfers to multiple guagas ? (c) approximate cost (d) approximate length of time to do the journey ? (d) how far out of Samana City is this resort ?

https://www.bahia-principe.com/en/resorts-in-dominican-republic/resort-cayacoa/gallery/

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Our Spanish is VERY basic so I really need to have some idea what I am doing before heading out. We are not new to the DR as this will be about trip # 20 for us so we do know a lot of the basic "do's and dont's ".

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
You take the guagua at the cemetery. Normaly a change in Limon. I think its 50 pesos to Limon, another 70 from Limon to Samana. Traveltime at least one hour. At Samana City its a 15-20 min walk from the endstation at the marketplace to the hotel. Be sure to return early enough. I once took the last guagua from Samana City and it ended in Limon, so I had to take a concho to LT in the dark.

Last edited:

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Guagua from LT to El Limon, 100 RD and then change to a guagua to Samana for another 100 RD and then walk a bit. Easy peezy.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello,

My wife and I will be staying at The Alisie in LT for a few weeks. At the same time my brother and sister in law will be staying at the Grand Bahia Princpe Cayacoa in Samana City (or close to Samana City).

My question is , how do we get there by guaga ? I see a lot of guaga action at the intersection by the cemetery so I am assuming this will be a starting point.

Can anyone give me guidance on (a) Where do I catch the guaga? (b)should we be expecting to have to do transfers to multiple guagas ? (c) approximate cost (d) approximate length of time to do the journey ? (d) how far out of Samana City is this resort ?

https://www.bahia-principe.com/en/resorts-in-dominican-republic/resort-cayacoa/gallery/

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Our Spanish is VERY basic so I really need to have some idea what I am doing before heading out. We are not new to the DR as this will be about trip # 20 for us so we do know a lot of the basic "do's and dont's ".

Why not consider renting a car for a couple of days and possibly split the cost with your brother. It is an easy ride from LT to Samana City. Once there you can all go to Playa Rincon or Playa Valle both beautiful beaches or go zip lining or drive to the end of the peninsula to Las Galeras. The beach at this hotel is nothing exciting. It is on the bay and small. Additionally if you are going to hang out at the Bahia Principe you may need to buy a day pass to access the beach and facilities. Good luck and good travels

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Why not consider renting a car for a couple of days and possibly split the cost with your brother.

I concur. Even if you haven't driven in the DR before. If there is any place to drive there for the first time it's that area. Somehow the drivers are a little less frenetic than elsewhere. I'd even venture that many are uncharacteristically courteous.

wbr

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
A couple of years ago my friends were robbed at a sightseeing platform on the old road between LT and Sanchez.

So DR is DR, also in Samana.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Fortunately for the OP the road from LT to Samana does not go near the old road over the mountain to Sanchez.

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Thanks All,

Fabulous information from one and all.

I am a little surprised the guaga goes through El Limon. That route follows the ocean. I expected the route would be inland across the peninsula. Perhaps it goes inland from El Limon or does it just continue to more or less follow the coast line ?

As for renting a car, good suggestion but we plan to get our money's worth while at the AI. Thus I will be consuming beverages and likely coming back after dinner / after dark so likely best to let someone else do the driving.
Undoubtedly we will be sick after a day of eating and drinking at a AI. Never fails, deadly places ;)

Rumble2005

Mar 18, 2006
Thanks All,

Fabulous information from one and all.

I am a little surprised the guaga goes through El Limon. That route follows the ocean. I expected the route would be inland across the peninsula. Perhaps it goes inland from El Limon or does it just continue to more or less follow the coast line ?

As for renting a car, good suggestion but we plan to get our money's worth while at the AI. Thus I will be consuming beverages and likely coming back after dinner / after dark so likely best to let someone else do the driving.
Undoubtedly we will be sick after a day of eating and drinking at a AI. Never fails, deadly places ;)

After looking at the map again El Limon is more inland than I recall. I see the road that goes from El Limon to Samana on the map.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
coming back after dinner / after dark so likely best to let someone else do the driving.
As I mentioned before, if you come after dark, you have no other choice than let the motoconchos do the driving.
There are also many cheap hotels in the Samana City in walking distance from your friends.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
After looking at the map again El Limon is more inland than I recall. I see the road that goes from El Limon to Samana on the map.

I would bite the bullet and at least get a car driver for the return trip from Samana City to LT. If you get someone for both legs you could probably get a better price. You could arrange this at the Alisei.

Klubbe

Aug 5, 2017
Taxi by car is around 2000 peso one way. Moto taxi from El limon to LT is around 250 peso.
If you leave no later than 4 pm u will make by guagua all the way back to LT.

And also if you are going to stay at your brothers hotel they can charge you up to 100 dollar/pp for a daypass.
Good luck with the trip