DR child ID

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
Hello all, new to the forum and have a family matters question.  I am not Dominican and do not and have not lived in the DR, however I have a daughter with a Dominican women living there.  My daughter is just over 1 year now and was born in the DR.  The mother and I do not have a romantic relationship, in fact she is looking to marry another foreigner from Europe and may move there in the coming months.

The mother is asking me now to come to the DR for the purpose of obtaining an ID for the child.  We had not discussed this before and I'm not sure what this ID is exactly.  But the mother has mentioned a couple of different things in the last few weeks as we discussed me coming out.

First she said that my daughter has never had this ID and that without it, she cannot go to a normal hospital, and that any time the child needs or has needed any kind of medical attention, etc, she must go to a private clinic.  She never mentioned that to me before.

She has also said that she needs the ID to obtain a passport for my daughter, so she can leave the DR and enter Europe.  The mother and I have never really had a real relationship, mainly as she has been less than honest about various things in the past.

In any event, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these IDs and the requirements to obtain one.  I should note, that since the child's birth, I don't believe there is anything that links me legally as the father.  I believe the mother has said that this is part of the requirement for getting this ID.  Essentially that I need to help obtain this ID by acknowledging paternity legally, and if I do not do that she cannot get an ID.  All of that is fine, but the timing seems odd, and the idea of health access being limited was never discussed... and with the timing of her looking to take the child away and getting married, etc, makes me wonder.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
First of all, get a paternity test done.

If the child is yours, take her and her birth certificate to the Embassy of the country where you are a citizen. Child will receive your citizenship and a passport from your country.

I don’t understand all the hoopla about the child not getting medical attention, unless the mother is a Haitian.  Every Dominican child gets a birth certificate when they are born, but the child of a foreign (Haitian) mother is not a Dominican citizen.  

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Coming to the D.R. might be detrimental for you personally.

Once you are here, she can claim anything.
Like have you arrested just by claiming you are the father to the police.

Years ago, a Dominican friend of mine was thrown in jail because the girl claimed he was the father.

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
Thanks Fabio.  I think that is part of what she wants but I do not understand the timing as she has never asked that before.  Also, do you know anything about the access to healthcare that she is talking about?  Or about what the other reply has stated that she might be looking for something else, and that once I am there she can get me in some kind of trouble?  Thanks again.

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
Thanks for the replies.  As I've said, the mother has been less than honest on several occasions and often is obvious she is after something specific.  In this case it seems she's trying to guilt me into coming to do this legal paternity thing... but I am not fond of being manipulated.  So it seems my suspicions were correct, and that there is nothing preventing the issuance of an ID or passport (albeit not with my name) and nothing preventing her from accessing healthcare, which was quite concerning to me initially.

Another question would be if she might obtain an updated ID or get one re-issued at a later date?  Then she could travel to Europe, get married, or whatever, and at some point in the future we could work on an updated ID with my name...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
First of all, get a paternity test done.

If the child is yours, take her and her birth certificate to the Embassy of the country where you are a citizen. Child will receive your citizenship and a passport from your country.

I don’t understand all the hoopla about the child not getting medical attention, unless the mother is a Haitian.  Every Dominican child gets a birth certificate when they are born, but the child of a foreign (Haitian) mother is not a Dominican citizen.  

But they will still receive medical treatment

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
1. The ID must be the birth certificate. In order for the father to be named, she will need his passport number if he is a foreigner but as said nothing at all to stop her registering the child only in her name. Happens all the time. The registration should be done within 3 months of the birth (now many hospitals do it in the hospital to save going to the Civil Registry) but nothing to stop it being registered afterwards.
2. Medical treatment is free for all - foreigner, Dominican, Haitian, legal or illegal, at public hospitals.
3. The mother will need a birth certificate for the child to receive a passport - but as said she can declare the child without you or your name.

Matilda

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
If your name is not on the child's birth certificate (assuming the birth was declared) than she can do everything she needs to do on her own. If your name is on there, then she probably needs your signature for the passport (which I assume is what she's referring to as ID as cedulas are issued when the child reaches 16 years of age) as well as your authorization to travel without you.

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
1. The ID must be the birth certificate. In order for the father to be named, she will need his passport number if he is a foreigner but as said nothing at all to stop her registering the child only in her name. Happens all the time. The registration should be done within 3 months of the birth (now many hospitals do it in the hospital to save going to the Civil Registry) but nothing to stop it being registered afterwards.
2. Medical treatment is free for all - foreigner, Dominican, Haitian, legal or illegal, at public hospitals.
3. The mother will need a birth certificate for the child to receive a passport - but as said she can declare the child without you or your name.

Matilda

Thanks Matilda, exact info I needed.  Just not sure of her motivations at this point or why she would lie about all of that... and a little worried about what she might do when I show up in the DR

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
If your name is not on the child's birth certificate (assuming the birth was declared) than she can do everything she needs to do on her own. If your name is on there, then she probably needs your signature for the passport (which I assume is what she's referring to as ID as cedulas are issued when the child reaches 16 years of age) as well as your authorization to travel without you.

Thanks Kate.  Not sure on the birth certificate, I've actually not seen it.  But it sounds like from Matilda's post that for my name to be on any birth certificate she would need my passport number, which I don't think she would have

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I really wouldn't set foot in the DR as she could so easily have you arrested. Best to keep away for the time being.

Matilda

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
She might be looking for child support(?). Just having your passport number is not enough to get US citizenship.

There's paperwork to fill out including a DNA test to prove you are the father. You also need to fill out an affidavit of support to provide for the child until 18.

Unless that's what you want to do, I wouldn't recommend coming down here. As others have mentioned, you could also be arrested.

Apr 7, 2014
Thanks Fabio.  I think that is part of what she wants but I do not understand the timing as she has never asked that before.  Also, do you know anything about the access to healthcare that she is talking about?  Or about what the other reply has stated that she might be looking for something else, and that once I am there she can get me in some kind of trouble?  Thanks again.
There are some European states that require that in detail to process their residency paperwork. It is most likely a safeguard to make sure the child wasnt abducted or fleeing with the abductor.

Sent from my Z833 using Tapatalk

Apr 7, 2014
Thanks for the replies.  As I've said, the mother has been less than honest on several occasions and often is obvious she is after something specific.  In this case it seems she's trying to guilt me into coming to do this legal paternity thing... but I am not fond of being manipulated.  So it seems my suspicions were correct, and that there is nothing preventing the issuance of an ID or passport (albeit not with my name) and nothing preventing her from accessing healthcare, which was quite concerning to me initially.

Another question would be if she might obtain an updated ID or get one re-issued at a later date?  Then she could travel to Europe, get married, or whatever, and at some point in the future we could work on an updated ID with my name...
Nah man. They give you a LONG period.of time.to declare your "fatherhoodness" to a Dominican child.without $ penalty.

You wanna drag it out 15 years or so. That complicates.paperwork. This place aint like the Connecticut Department of Health with laserbeams and such. Its like Romania where pencil is precious commodity.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
Thanks Matilda, exact info I needed.  Just not sure of her motivations at this point or why she would lie about all of that... and a little worried about what she might do when I show up in the DR

She has already lied to you about why she needed you to come, so obviously she has other motivations.
I suggest you do not come back to the DR. If you want to see if the daughter is yours than get the paternity done remotely, but if you come back be prepared to get arrested or detained or even worse.
You could fight for custody remotely or provide support, but do not come back, she is setting you up for something.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
Hello all, new to the forum and have a family matters question.  I am not Dominican and do not and have not lived in the DR, however I have a daughter with a Dominican women living there.  My daughter is just over 1 year now and was born in the DR.  The mother and I do not have a romantic relationship, in fact she is looking to marry another foreigner from Europe and may move there in the coming months.

The mother is asking me now to come to the DR for the purpose of obtaining an ID for the child.  We had not discussed this before and I'm not sure what this ID is exactly.  But the mother has mentioned a couple of different things in the last few weeks as we discussed me coming out.

First she said that my daughter has never had this ID and that without it, she cannot go to a normal hospital, and that any time the child needs or has needed any kind of medical attention, etc, she must go to a private clinic.  She never mentioned that to me before.

She has also said that she needs the ID to obtain a passport for my daughter, so she can leave the DR and enter Europe.  The mother and I have never really had a real relationship, mainly as she has been less than honest about various things in the past.

In any event, I'm wondering if anyone has experience with these IDs and the requirements to obtain one.  I should note, that since the child's birth, I don't believe there is anything that links me legally as the father.  I believe the mother has said that this is part of the requirement for getting this ID.  Essentially that I need to help obtain this ID by acknowledging paternity legally, and if I do not do that she cannot get an ID.  All of that is fine, but the timing seems odd, and the idea of health access being limited was never discussed... and with the timing of her looking to take the child away and getting married, etc, makes me wonder.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks
There will be benefits for the child of having a US passport/citizenship that the mother may be able to exploit. If I were you I'd see what I could do to look out for the child without setting foot on the island. But getting that paternity test is the first step.

Sent from my ASUS_Z016D using Tapatalk

chas123

Jan 3, 2018
Thanks for all the replies!  This is all rather sad.  I don't really deny paternity though we've never done any test.  I still don't understand exactly what she is after, as having my name on a birth certificate or even a DR passport is not going to get her anywhere in the US.  She may be after my assets in some way, but of course I've seen the child, done Skype, etc, and many pictures/videos.  They are not wanting for anything.  The child is healthy and happy and they are both by the looks of it well taken care of...

Unfortunately, she seems to feel the need to manipulate or flat out lie to accomplish whatever her goals are, which makes any relationship with her near impossible.  But I would like to have a relationship with the child and am willing to participate, but her actions make it difficult.

One question, as the prospect now of going to the DR seems possibly perilous, what would I be arrested for?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
One question, as the prospect now of going to the DR seems possibly perilous, what would I be arrested for?

Usually non payment of child support (whether you have paid or not) or domestic violence (whether you have been violent or not). The women in these cases hold all the cards.

Matilda

Apr 7, 2014
Usually non payment of child support (whether you have paid or not) or domestic violence (whether you have been violent or not). The women in these cases hold all the cards.

Matilda
Come on now, child support? He isnt on the birth certificate, there is no treaty with the USA and he has to declare fatherhood in person with two witnesses. For HER to insinuate child support on an anonymous person SHE would have to establish and proof paternity at her own expense.

Domestic violence? Needs a time and place. Dude hasnt been in country in a year.

Stop fear mongering. She probably wants to have the child get US citizenry and then she could try to use that for a familial visa in the future when the thing with the European fails