Incredible Deal on a Stove

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We're buying a new gas stove for Mom CB at a Lowes store in Tampa---many Big Box stores have excellent holiday deals that expire today---and the Lowes store involved called me and said they have six stainless steel stoves, somewhat similar to the one we bought, at an unheard of clearance price of $150. The list price is $999.99.

Alida's cousin does weekly container shipments from Tampa to the DR and will do a store pick up and deliver to your door in the DR for $300-325.

Here is the stove involves: Samsung 5.8 cu. ft. 5-Burner Gas Range, Model #NX58F5500SS

It's not the most fantastic appliance, but for the total price it's hard to beat, and certainly vastly superior to anything in the same price range available in the DR. It comes with an LPG conversion kit.

Pdpdefault-nx58f5500ss-aa-600x600-C1-052016

The store phone number is 813-249-6001. PM me for the phone of the Tampa mudanza if you're interested.

No dog in this hunt, just a PSA.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
So,
I would call the store figuring out how I pay them and let the Mudanza pick it up?

What do I tell the store? Somebody will come to pick it up?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Can the mudanza go and buy it for me? I could pay them beforehand.
Most likely, since he bought one for his Mother-in-law.

I'd buy one because it's MUCH better than the one we have, even though ours is very good by Dominican standards.

But Mom CB wants a convection oven and a few other modes and goodies on a stove that this liquidated one doesn't have.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Is there anyway to pre-pay with Paypal since DR credit cards aren't valid in the states ?

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Never shop with Amazon, E-bay with Paypal..........
So, regardless, how is pre-payment made ?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Note: to my disappointment, and contrary to what was told me directly by a Lowes employee on three separate occasions, the price is $250, not $150, when Alida's cousin tried to buy one.

Kinda pi$$e$ me off being told wrong info.

It's still a good price but more than I was originally told.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
150, or 250, delivery to your door in the DR for about 400-425, still a great deal......
Call the mudanza and see what they can do for pre-payment.

I don't like being bait and switched. They said $150, then when someone shows up it's $250. :angry:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is a good deal. we bought a viking last year so we are no longer on the hunt for a stove but DR lacks mid-range appliances. it's either cheapo cheapo or slash-your-throat expensive. very few items that are high quality and relatively decent price.

with black friday we went all the way and purchased air fryer, blender, waffle maker and a set of cooking pots. even with the shipping it was a fraction of the price we'd pay in DR and much better quality.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I will see, I assume I can buy something later from Amazon too and have it delivered to Juan?

Does he ship cars? His website is not very informative, still constructing the site?

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Just be careful with tax. If you buy something which costs more than US$ 200 and have it shipped to Dom Rep, you are going to be liable for import taxes in addition to shipping. This wasn't an issue when the price was US$ 150, but now it's US$ 250 you may have a lot of tax to pay.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
Just be careful with tax. If you buy something which costs more than US$ 200 and have it shipped to Dom Rep, you are going to be liable for import taxes in addition to shipping. This wasn't an issue when the price was US$ 150, but now it's US$ 250 you may have a lot of tax to pay.

Exactly! He said shipping was $250, but with tax don't think we would save anything

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

With a mundanza, all those fees are included in the price, and it is delivered to your door.  You never interact with aduana  at all

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
With a mundanza, all those fees are included in the price, and it is delivered to your door.  You never interact with aduana  at all

Agreed, my point is that the fees that the mudanza quoted will be very different for shipping an item below $200 to shipping an item above $200.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Agreed, my point is that the fees that the mudanza quoted will be very different for shipping an item below $200 to shipping an item above $200.

You could be right, but my experience has been that they don’t care about brand or original cost.  You say “New stove” or “Used stove” and they quote you a price.  TV?  How many inches?  They don’t ask if it’s 4K or smart.  I’ve never, not once, given a receipt for anything to a mundanza.  

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
DR lacks mid-range appliances. it's either cheapo cheapo or slash-your-throat expensive. very few items that are high quality and relatively decent price.
Exactly.

The one we bought, a convection with broiler and numerous bells and whistles, will cost around $950 all-in when delivered. We looked at numerous appliance dealers and couldn't get anywhere near the same device for under RD$80,000 ($1650).

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Generally mudanza's have some sort of special deals with adaunas.

Whenever I have paid a mudanza the taxes are included in the shipping fees.

In fact, Juan asked oif the stove was stainless steel. I said yes. He said that aduana would charge $25 more, not based on anything but stainless steel, so he upped his charge $25.

Last edited: