Golf Carts Confiscated in Sosua

Wrx2005

Jul 7, 2014
Yesterday Jan 3,2018. My golf car was parked on a main street in Sosua. A neighbor of mine called me while I was out enjoying the day, informing me to not drive my golf car today. He said it was because the police had stopped other golf cars and confiscated them.

Well for me, I received the message too late, because I already took it out on the road.

About 20 minutes later, 4 PN police officers pulled up to my golf car parked across from my restaurant.

They were looking at the vehicle, and then around to see who it belonged to. I watched for a moment to see how long they were going to hang around. One guy was in plain clothes. He sat in the cart and tried a key he had in his hand. It didnt work, then he pulled out his phone to call somebody. At that point I went across the street to address the situation. I presumed they were going to arrange to tow it. They told me they needed to see papers on the vehicle. Namely some form of insurance. I told them I do not have insurance, and that my insurance company for my pasola said he isnt set up to ensure golf cars. Further, nobody I know has insurance on theirs. I asked why are they taking it if I cannot get insurance, a matricula or a plate for a golf cart?

All they said is I need to go up to the AMET station. That an attorney/abogado was supposed to be there to advise me on what was to happen. At 1st I was anxious to shoot up to the AMET station. But decided to wait and to seek some counsel or feedback 1st. Anyone reading know whats going on with the police and owners of golf carts? This is not the 1st time owners of golf cars were threatened with confiscation of their carts. A few months back AMET were stopping drivers, confiscating the carts. My understanding , is that if you did not have some form of insurance, you had to pay to get it back. I heard some individuals paid at least 5000 pesos?

And still unable to get insurance for it. Interesting though. A few months went by and everyone resumed driving their carts with no interference from AMET. Now the PN cops are going after any golf cart they see on the road.
I think an incident that happened about 2 weeks ago may play a role in why golf carts are an issue again. A gentleman/pedestrian named Andy Graham was supposedly hit by a golf cart driven by an individual who was driving reckless.

Mr Graham was hospitalized and incurred a significant expense for his injuries. I was told that the driver of the cart that hit Mr Graham was renting the golf cart, he didnt own it. So I am deducing that that incident might have sparked the attention of officials. Moreover, confiscation of golf carts will appease the local taxi and motoconcho drivers, many of which were opposed to the golf carts being driven around. They saw that as an increased threat to their business. Eventually I will visit AMET or the PN station to see what I can do about the situation. Or perhaps write off the golf cart if it becomes impossible to make it street legal to whom is in charge of this matter. Any insights anyone?

Last edited:

Catseye

Nov 7, 2009
Rio San Juan, Dominican Republic
isn’t it kind of risky to drive around anything without insurance?  

I know of one idiot who I hope got his cart confiscated

one day I was just starting to reverse to parallel park my car in front of Banco Santa Cruz, had my right turn signal on and was already reversing when a golf cart swooped in and took my spot

it was some short, balding, dorky looking old man who pretended to not know what he did when I confronted him at the teller machine which was where I was going in the first place

I sincerely hope his cart has been nabbed

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Tell that to Ahnvee too. But I agree if they aren't licensed and insured stay off the road.
Of course that applies to 85% of all traffic going in and out of Sosua.

There is some truth in your statement. Cars, trucks, motos, atvs and buggys are able to get insurance, whether you choose to buy some is up to the individual. If you get caught, suffer the consequences. However, insurance or ownerships are not an option for golf carts as it is not possible to get them. People choose to drive them without insurance which is ridiculous and they never should have been allowed on the streets in the first place. So the government and the drivers are both to blame and now action is finally being taken. How long it lasts is another story.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Sounds like the days of golf carts on DR roads might be over? That lack of insurability seems to be the killer.

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Golf carts are economical, practical, safe and even a little bit fun - in privately owned communities. They have no role on public roads, particularly on streets as dangerous as many of those in the DR.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
A golf cart meeting a metal vehicle in the same place at the same time would negate the need for insurance as the cart and its driver would simply cease to exist.

Cart and pedestrian interactions are a different matter and the at fault cart driver should probably have to pay many North American minimum wages for their callousness and remain on a very short chain until they do so. It's comforting to see foreigners adopting the local ways despite knowing better - Not!

KITTU

May 13, 2015
Aren't golf carts meant to be driven in golf courses and not on streets? I have this issue here in cocotal, even minor kids, less than 14 years driving golf carts all around cocotal without any adult supervision!

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
My first impression seems to be way off base as I assumed it was just another way for the authorities to make money. Need to work on my attitude because I am so jaded as to not even believe Mr.Andy Graham in the first place.

Maybe Sosua needs to start a self help group for people like me who aren't trusting enough.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
I would rather get hit by a moto than a Golf Cart .. those things are HEAVY.. No insurance should not be an option.
The cops may be doing the right thing here.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I would rather get hit by a moto than a Golf Cart .. those things are HEAVY.. No insurance should not be an option.
The cops may be doing the right thing here.

Will be interesting to see if they confiscate the golf carts belonging to a few of the expat bar owners.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Facebook comments are that there is a new law forbidding golf carts on the road

Word on Facebook is that there is a new law in the DR that golf carts are not permitted on the roads. That law supposedly took effect at the beginning of the year. Allegedly the fiscal in Santo Domingo has called for the removal of golf carts from the roads countrywide.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Word on Facebook is that there is a new law in the DR that golf carts are not permitted on the roads. That law supposedly took effect at the beginning of the year. Allegedly the fiscal in Santo Domingo has called for the removal of golf carts from the roads countrywide.

Golf carts on public roads will result in confiscations and fines.
Smoking while operating a golf cart on a public road will result in confiscation and three months imprisonment.
Smoking while operating a golf cart on a beach road will result in confiscation and six months imprisonment.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Also on FB, some say they have insurance and even license plates on golf carts with a valid matricula.

If anyone sees anything on the ruling by the Fiscal in Santo Domingo, please post it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Golf carts on public roads will result in confiscations and fines.
Smoking while operating a golf cart on a public road will result in confiscation and three months imprisonment.
Smoking while operating a golf cart on a beach road will result in confiscation and six months imprisonment.

Do you have a source for this?

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Do you have a source for this?

Actually, you can Google the information, and it's related projected statistical analysis from the fine staff of The International Association for Tom Foolery Within the Americas. It's much too long for me to post here myself.