Stuck at the Airport

Goldenruler

Jan 4, 2018
For the past 10 years my husband & I have spent Jan, Feb & Mar in the Dominican Republic. First we went to Punta Cana & about 4 years ago, we found Juan Dolio & have been coming here since.

We have always known that after staying past 30 days we had to pay more for our tourist card when we left.

Yesterday, when we arrived at the immigration counter in Santo Domingo, the officer asked how long we were staying & I told him 84 days. He told us to wait & went into an office. They kept us almost 2 hours waiting. The best I could figure from the agent’s limited English & our very limited Spanish, is that starting yesterday, they don't want us to stay longer than 30 days. Is this correct or what do we need to do for next year to stay 90 days. It was very frustrating after traveling all day & still not know what is really going on. If anyone can help me with this, I'd be very grateful.

Goldenruler

Jan 4, 2018
I don't mind paying the fee, we've done it every year, but I don't want to be stuck at the airport every year for 2 hours, while half a dozen officials decide if they're going to let you stay or not. There has to be another way to avoid that.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Next time don't tell them you're staying 84 days, tell them 30.........
Make your return flight for 30 days and change the return date after you're situated here, that's if the airlines extra service fee isn't to much.....

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Make your return flight for 30 days and change the return date after you're situated here, that's if the airlines extra service fee isn't to much.....

Which Airport ?
Before I had residency I was never asked to see my return ticket when I come in. Always say something less than 30 days and if they ask to see a return ticket tell them you will be taking the ferry to Puerto Rico.
How do they determine how long you've stayed when you leave ?
Do they figure it out from the jumble of stamps in a passport or look on the computer ?

I don't blame you for being irritated.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006

Expedia reservations give you a free 24 hours to cancel. What Way to go said works fine for me.

Goldenruler

Jan 4, 2018
It's way too expensive to change the flight. I wanted to come earlier & the price to change was insane. There has got to be a way to do this. Tourism is important here. I can't believe they don't want us.

Goldenruler

Jan 4, 2018
Yes, they look at your passport when you leave. We've always had to pay more, but that was fine. This happened at Santo Domingo. While we were waiting they made copies of all our passport entries.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
Immigration into full effect.

Wife and I have been legal residence for 20 years. Flew out earlier this month and had our passports and cards taken and photo copied in the next customs stall. We asked why and got no real answer. "Don't worry, it's nothing."

Perhaps this? From Dominican Today.

Immigration deported 110,030 foreigners from 33 countries in 2017

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...-110030-foreigners-from-33-countries-in-2017/

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The computer systems used by Immigration here in the the DR are slowly being upgraded. The data and the capabilities of the system will change over time.

It has been debated on this site for years, what exactly is the Govt's intent with the overstay fees/fines and the lack of a tourist visa for a period longer than 30 days. A respected lawyer last year posted in the legal forum that any tourist in the country longer than 30 days was here contrary to the current immigration laws and the Govt. charging a set fee to overstay the 30 day limit has no legal foundation and conveys no legal status on any visitor.

You seem to have experienced one of those annoyances that can occur from time to time when someone engages in an activity that is not in accordance with the legal framework. The DR Govt is notorious for stuff like this - the law says one thing, the Govt through indifference or inaction seems to suggest that doing something else is ok too.

The immigration system is in slow change mode and has been for the last three years at least. Will the 30 day tourist stay limit change, it may well change next week, next month or not in our lifetimes. On the day you arrived and as far as I know, for today as well, the maximum sanctioned visit for a foreigner without a formal visa is 30 days. Will plane loads of people intending to stay longer than that arrive at an airport today, certainly they will. Will they all be asked how long they will be staying, probably not. Will anyone else be detained for 2 hours, maybe, maybe not. Will you be detained for two hours next time you choose to visit this country for a period longer than 30 days, maybe, maybe not.

I personally believe that someday, there will be a change that will rework the current ambiguous immigration practices in such a way that there will be no more ambiguity. I just don't know when that will happen. Until then, it is best to, at least in your own mind, consider a stay in the DR of longer than 30 days to be a "grey legal area" that could make your legal status here ambiguous, that may or may not cause you inconvenience and/or extra expense; Or it may not.

Welcome to the often chaotic and inconsistent Dominican Republic as it exists today.

In summary, no one knows for sure what could happen if an overstaying foreigner meets up with an official that is in a foul mood on any given day. When you play roulette, you have to accept that sometimes the number comes up red and sometimes it comes up black.

In addition to the myriad of advice your story will illicit on this site, let me offer my personal opinion - Lying to immigration at the border of your home country will usually get you immediately sent packing, tossed into detention, get you a date with a judge, or banned from trying to reenter that country for a period of time. Lying to immigration here in the DR can, could, might result in the same sort of penalties. Admittedly, DR Immigration has not been too keen to look too closely at arriving visitors in the past, but there is nothing preventing them from starting to. Knowingly giving false information/answers to questions from officials (lying) is evidence of a guilty mind, in that you know the rules and are trying to get around them. The possible ramifications of being caught in a third world country breaking the law or deliberately attempting to deceive to achieve a more desirable result is not worth the risk - You do not want to be on that side of the law in this country I assure you.

If you can't come to the Dominican Republic for a vacation without having to lie or possibly break the law, then maybe it is time to find somewhere else to go. The DR currently holds all the legal cards - visitors without status who find themselves behind the 8 ball here (likely or not) have zero recourse and jail in this country is not at all like any resort you have ever checked into by way of happenstance. The fastest way to force the DR Govt to clarify this visitor stay period fiasco is to force the Govt to realize that it's own inaction and ambiguity is sending tourists and their money somewhere else.

Good luck.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Wife and I have been legal residence for 20 years. Flew out earlier this month and had our passports and cards taken and photo copied in the next customs stall. We asked why and got no real answer. "Don't worry, it's nothing."

Perhaps this? From Dominican Today.

Immigration deported 110,030 foreigners from 33 countries in 2017

https://dominicantoday.com/dr/econo...-110030-foreigners-from-33-countries-in-2017/

These are relatively new measures, in effect for about a year or so. Any foreign passport is blocked after 30 days (or 90, don’t recall) and you have to unblock it at a special migration stall where they copy your passport and residence card. I figure it is to avoid that immigration officers let you pass without the official fine if you are not a resident. Apparently they don’t have a way to separate the residents from the non-residents just by passport number. When I asked they said they were working on that. But who knows if that’s really through.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
These are relatively new measures, in effect for about a year or so. Any foreign passport is blocked after 30 days (or 90, don’t recall) and you have to unblock it at a special migration stall where they copy your passport and residence card. I figure it is to avoid that immigration officers let you pass without the official fine if you are not a resident. Apparently they don’t have a way to separate the residents from the non-residents just by passport number. When I asked they said they were working on that. But who knows if that’s really through.

We ARE legal residence and present our cards and papers with our passports so we can not be considered as "over stay". We travel quite often and this Jan. was the 1st. time in 20 years that this or any other delay has happened. It took about 5 minutes so not much of a delay. lol Reading the article points out that perhaps some new procedures are being implemented and might take some time to integrate the systems. Only guessing and we are not concerned.

This was at POP.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
For the past 10 years my husband & I have spent Jan, Feb & Mar in the Dominican Republic. First we went to Punta Cana & about 4 years ago, we found Juan Dolio & have been coming here since.

We have always known that after staying past 30 days we had to pay more for our tourist card when we left.

Yesterday, when we arrived at the immigration counter in Santo Domingo, the officer asked how long we were staying & I told him 84 days. He told us to wait & went into an office. They kept us almost 2 hours waiting. The best I could figure from the agent’s limited English & our very limited Spanish, is that starting yesterday, they don't want us to stay longer than 30 days. Is this correct or what do we need to do for next year to stay 90 days. It was very frustrating after traveling all day & still not know what is really going on. If anyone can help me with this, I'd be very grateful.

Your first mistake was telling him you would be in the country longer than 30 days. The tourist card is good for 30 days and that is what your limit should be when asked. Really your only option is to apply for resident status but that is costly.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

My husband (Dominican) flies with his US passport, and it was locked after 30 days too, so you’re correct.  Showed his cedula and was on his way in about 5 minutes

What happened to the OP is interesting and a little troublesome, as procedures may have changed Jan 1

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
We ARE legal residence and present our cards and papers with our passports so we can not be considered as "over stay". We travel quite often and this Jan. was the 1st. time in 20 years that this or any other delay has happened. It took about 5 minutes so not much of a delay. lol Reading the article points out that perhaps some new procedures are being implemented and might take some time to integrate the systems. Only guessing and we are not concerned.

This was at POP.

Correct, this applies to foreigners residents and non residents. My (Dominican) wife had to unblock her EU passport too and I’m a legal resident as well and had to unblock it too. As I wrote, they seem not (yet) to be able to process differently passports of legal residents and tourists / non-residents but are apparently working on that. 

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris

If you are regular visitor why not try to get a Dominican Visa that could give you more days of staying? the pro will be that they wont stoped you next time, not payments for overstay, you will make only one payment for the visa. Have a nice stay and Hello from San Pedro.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
The computer systems used by Immigration here in the the DR are slowly being upgraded. The data and the capabilities of the system will change over time.

It has been debated on this site for years, what exactly is the Govt's intent with the overstay fees/fines and the lack of a tourist visa for a period longer than 30 days. A respected lawyer last year posted in the legal forum that any tourist in the country longer than 30 days was here contrary to the current immigration laws and the Govt. charging a set fee to overstay the 30 day limit has no legal foundation and conveys no legal status on any visitor.

You seem to have experienced one of those annoyances that can occur from time to time when someone engages in an activity that is not in accordance with the legal framework. The DR Govt is notorious for stuff like this - the law says one thing, the Govt through indifference or inaction seems to suggest that doing something else is ok too.

The immigration system is in slow change mode and has been for the last three years at least. Will the 30 day tourist stay limit change, it may well change next week, next month or not in our lifetimes. On the day you arrived and as far as I know, for today as well, the maximum sanctioned visit for a foreigner without a formal visa is 30 days. Will plane loads of people intending to stay longer than that arrive at an airport today, certainly they will. Will they all be asked how long they will be staying, probably not. Will anyone else be detained for 2 hours, maybe, maybe not. Will you be detained for two hours next time you choose to visit this country for a period longer than 30 days, maybe, maybe not.

I personally believe that someday, there will be a change that will rework the current ambiguous immigration practices in such a way that there will be no more ambiguity. I just don't know when that will happen. Until then, it is best to, at least in your own mind, consider a stay in the DR of longer than 30 days to be a "grey legal area" that could make your legal status here ambiguous, that may or may not cause you inconvenience and/or extra expense; Or it may not.

Welcome to the often chaotic and inconsistent Dominican Republic as it exists today.

In summary, no one knows for sure what could happen if an overstaying foreigner meets up with an official that is in a foul mood on any given day. When you play roulette, you have to accept that sometimes the number comes up red and sometimes it comes up black.

In addition to the myriad of advice your story will illicit on this site, let me offer my personal opinion - Lying to immigration at the border of your home country will usually get you immediately sent packing, tossed into detention, get you a date with a judge, or banned from trying to reenter that country for a period of time. Lying to immigration here in the DR can, could, might result in the same sort of penalties. Admittedly, DR Immigration has not been too keen to look too closely at arriving visitors in the past, but there is nothing preventing them from starting to. Knowingly giving false information/answers to questions from officials (lying) is evidence of a guilty mind, in that you know the rules and are trying to get around them. The possible ramifications of being caught in a third world country breaking the law or deliberately attempting to deceive to achieve a more desirable result is not worth the risk - You do not want to be on that side of the law in this country I assure you.

If you can't come to the Dominican Republic for a vacation without having to lie or possibly break the law, then maybe it is time to find somewhere else to go. The DR currently holds all the legal cards - visitors without status who find themselves behind the 8 ball here (likely or not) have zero recourse and jail in this country is not at all like any resort you have ever checked into by way of happenstance. The fastest way to force the DR Govt to clarify this visitor stay period fiasco is to force the Govt to realize that it's own inaction and ambiguity is sending tourists and their money somewhere else.

Good luck.

On the blue immigration card there is a spot where you state your intended days of visiting. I always fill that in correctly ie,78 days or whatever...when I leave I pay $4000. DOP ... never a problem.
But to enter Canada as a tourist you had better be accurate on your days intended or the Government will be at your doorstep.
This year I will apply for Citizenship in DR .....
Most places in West Indies , all a part of CARICOM Zone will permit 3 months on a Tourist Visa. But DR is not an CARICOM member ,,,, Haiti is though.

Have a good day.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
If you are regular visitor why not try to get a Dominican Visa that could give you more days of staying? the pro will be that they wont stoped you next time, not payments for overstay, you will make only one payment for the visa. Have a nice stay and Hello from San Pedro.

YES That would be a boon to many many of us. It has been brought up on this forum many times that a visa for more than 30 days would be a good idea for the DR to offer. Do you have some info for us as to where to get such a 90 day visa for example?
Thanks Der Fish

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's way too expensive to change the flight. I wanted to come earlier & the price to change was insane. There has got to be a way to do this. Tourism is important here. I can't believe they don't want us.

it's not because they don't want you. trust me. they want as many tourists as they can get.

it is just that they have immigration rules. every country on earth has them.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
YES That would be a boon to many many of us. It has been brought up on this forum many times that a visa for more than 30 days would be a good idea for the DR to offer. Do you have some info for us as to where to get such a 90 day visa for example?
Thanks Der Fish

A Tourist is a Tourist.
At the Port Immigration Authority in Luperon there is a posted list for costs of Visas... this is for the Yacht Tourist. But I used to go there and pay my overstay.. this list virtually provides up to 36 months for visas ; I believe that cost $14000 DOP$.
Up to 90 days cost $4000.DOP$ ...
Wondering why that facility is not available at Airports as well.
Just , like the Yachties, pay it when you enter,
Interesting though.