Airline recommendations from Europe to Puerto Plata

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
I'm looking for flights from Europe to Puerto Plata. Since AirBerlin went bankrupt I'm a little lost right now. Have checked several airlines but haven't found any good fares.

Any help/recommendations are appreciated.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i guess the choice is now eurowings or condor. both flying from geman cities but connecting within europe is easy enough.
there are also some charter flights.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
From where within the EU? I have previously used Iberia to Madrid, British Airways to London, and Air France to Paris. All from SDQ.

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Anything to New York and then Jet Blue to POP? The Condor flight arrives in SDQ in the middle of the night so would be awkward, and the AirFrance from Paris-SDQ stops in Punta Cana for a few hours before going on to SDQ so it would be a very long journey that way. So I think New York is probably your best option, plenty of flights each day from most major cities in Europe so you can get good connections.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
i guess the choice is now eurowings or condor. both flying from geman cities but connecting within europe is easy enough.
there are also some charter flights.

I've personally always avoided AirBerlin due to their pricing... I've always found them significantly more expensive with less service than Condor and Eurowings...

We've used both, Condor and Eurowings, Condor from Frankfurt and Eurowings from Cologne.

Nothing bad to say about either airline, somehow I have always felt more secure flying Boeing aircrafts, so we have mostly used Condor, but with Eurowings, on occasion, you get more luggage with you than Condor.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If you could consider PUJ or SDQ: tuifly flies from Brussels for ridiculously low prices. Starting something like 179 euros per leg. 

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
My error. I mentioned SDQ while you are specifically seeking POP. Apologies.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Anything to New York and then Jet Blue to POP? The Condor flight arrives in SDQ in the middle of the night so would be awkward, and the AirFrance from Paris-SDQ stops in Punta Cana for a few hours before going on to SDQ so it would be a very long journey that way. So I think New York is probably your best option, plenty of flights each day from most major cities in Europe so you can get good connections.

THose NYC to POP flights are mostly - if not all- morning flights.
might call for a night at the airport hotel

Would work well on the return trip....
arrive NYC at 6pm or so and fly on to Europe

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i would not recommend flying to PUJ or SDQ if your destination is POP. whatever you save on the air fare you spend on transport from the airport plus it takes sh*tlong time. if you are flexible and book early enough both condor and eurowings can be had relatively cheap, not too long ago eurowings had an offer for 199 euro each way which is as good as it gets.

i never tried connecting via USA as i do not have a visa but i doubt they'd look kindly on all the food i bring back. so if your luggage has european kink in it then skip that option too.

Chareena

Apr 3, 2004
janssoncarina.blogspot.com
A big thanks to everybody who has replied to this thread. With the advice of all of you, we have decided on a combination of Finnair and Eurowings. POP (before PUJ and SDQ) is the end stop as we have all our belongings there.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
i would not recommend flying to PUJ or SDQ if your destination is POP. whatever you save on the air fare you spend on transport from the airport plus it takes sh*tlong time. if you are flexible and book early enough both condor and eurowings can be had relatively cheap, not too long ago eurowings had an offer for 199 euro each way which is as good as it gets.

i never tried connecting via USA as i do not have a visa but i doubt they'd look kindly on all the food i bring back. so if your luggage has european kink in it then skip that option too.

I do transit by the US, hardly ever problems with european exotic stuff (sic), cheese and wine mostly, oh, and REAL cold cuts.

So perhaps STI could be an option for the OP. Its the most convinient, and cheap-ish, for me.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
I do transit by the US, hardly ever problems with european exotic stuff (sic), cheese and wine mostly, oh, and REAL cold cuts.

So perhaps STI could be an option for the OP. Its the most convinient, and cheap-ish, for me.

P.S the exception is home- made gnôle ( moonshine ? ). Better to tell them its a secret new fuel formula to power your dr golf cart ;) ;)

P.P.S STI is always empty, hardly any queues ( well arriving, there are all the guys in the same plane as you obviously ).
And since the new bypass, no need to cross santiago on your way to POP.